Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Did you remove the charcoal filter, and if so, have you seen any issues?

• Removed, No Issues

Votes: 71 43.0%
  • Removed, Have Had Problems

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Have Not Removed

Votes: 90 54.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of talk on here about the secondary charcoal filter in the airbox on our cars, and the removal thereof. But, I wanted to post up a poll on this topic. I just want to make sure that I am not making a big money mistake by removing the charcoal filter. Thanks in advance.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
It's main purpose is to catch fumes/vapors that would normally escape on shutdown. More an outgoing than an incoming filter, as far as the emissions is concerned. It will provide some filtering of inbound air as well, think idling behind a diesel truck blowing exhaust straight at your bumper.

Either way, it shouldn't have any long term damaging effect. Perhaps a dirtier MAF?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
it traps gas vapors from the fuel system/tank mostly while the car is off. Next time you run the motor, the fumes circulate through and combust, go through the cat and its kinda 'cleaned'.

There's ZERO horsepower to be gained from this. Frankly, its a complete waste of time to remove it. save a tree.

·
Token Metro Guy
5,003 Posts
it traps gas vapors from the fuel system/tank mostly while the car is off. Next time you run the motor, the fumes circulate through and combust, go through the cat and its kinda 'cleaned'.

There's ZERO horsepower to be gained from this. Frankly, its a complete waste of time to remove it. save a tree.
Actually someone posted a dyno graph on here (I can't remember who...can anyone help) that the removal of the carbon filter and replacing the stock air filter with a K&N air filter gives 8whp.

I've removed mine but haven't got the K&N in yet, but have had no problems or CELs...I think it's been out for ~2000kms.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Token Metro Guy
5,003 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
i see 8whp numbers being attributed to the K&N, not the canister.

it really only robs power or really functions when you frist start the car. vacuum 'drag' doesn't rob horsepower.

I mean, you don't hear of "high flow pcv valves', do you?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,470 Posts
Speaking of PCV valves I see the 2L has a nice metal spring loaded horizontal check valve for one. Useful in other applications. :)

I use such a device for automatic catch can drain. Been looking for an easy place to get them from.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

it really only robs power or really functions when you frist start the car. vacuum 'drag' doesn't rob horsepower.

"Los resultados fueron 8whp adicionales con solo el filtro:" quoted from the thread

8 whp with 1 filter, meaning they removed the charcoal filter at the same time. K&N filters have shown 3-5whp on other cars, meaning they picked up 3-5 hp from removing the charcoal filter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You are right... vacuum drag won't rob any horsepower, but an added filter in the intake system will. I guess it's coming out.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
I am running the K&N filter and removed the charcoal one. No problems or lights under all traffic conditions for just shy of 1,000 miles. Oh, and no exhuast shown aimxplode unless its chilly outside, but then everyones car does then.

Bill

1 - 20 of 120 Posts