Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Cheap Winter Tire Sets?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  alamsas 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just got a 2010 Genesis 2.0T. It's kind of a panic for me to look for winter tires now since the season is about to start.. Any ideas where I could get the cheapest set including steel rims? I'm never sure whenever I look online if the price includes the rims or not.. Is it also cheaper if I go for a square setup instead of keeping the staggered setup? If so any disadvantages as well? Thanks guys

Edit: Any experience with driving all season or stock tires in the alberta winter? Is it a really dumb idea or can I push through? I'm considerably a calm and not dumb driver but it is my first time driving rwd so idk what to entirely expect.

#2 ·
9 years + of driving in alaska, with mine.

You should change out the all seasons anyways if they are originals since tires do wear out from age (oils seep out, and rubber becomes hard and brittle, just from sitting, over time)

I wouldn't cheap out on tires since they are the only things touching the ground.
My first set of winters were continentals studded, I think. It had a lot more grip than my all seasons.

The set I have now are Altimax studded? same as my continentals as far as feel and handling.

A new set of the stock all season tires on the gen has a more grip and more controllable than an awd ford escape 4 banger with studded tires, I know from experience.

You can fit 17" steel wheels on, if you don't have the bremos.

If you do get 17", I suggest getting:

2xx/50 17 tire size

this will correct the ride height of the car.

#3 ·
Don't think I have the brembos so i could get the 17s but what's your take on keeping the staggered setup than squaring it up? If i do go for the same on all four do I pick the wider tire? (245 over the 225) generally how much would this all cost? I know you're in alaska so it'd be USD but I just need an idea

#4 · (Edited)
I think I paid $500 or $600 of a set

we pay more, then the rest of US. You'll get a better idea by going to tirerack.com

You'll have to run staggered... unless you want to run around with traction control off all the time.

running square will make the traction control limit your speed to about 50~60mph
What I mean is traction control will start to interfere around that speed.

As for rwd driving in winter, easy on the throttle when going from a stop, and start to brake earlier than you normally do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.