Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So thought some of you might have had the same problem and pointed me in the right direction since i cannot find out where the damn sound is coming from.

Its a clanking/high pitched metal to metal rattling sound coming from drivers side rear when i hit small bumps in the road. I have went back over everything to make sure its tight but i cant find it. My instinct tells me its something to do with the sway bar endlinks. I had problems getting it tight again and spun it quite a bit with an impact trying to get it to tighten back up. Could i have messed up the endlink from spinning it with the impact?? I am fairly sure i got it tight enough. What else could cause the rattling noise when i got over a bump???? Maybe someone has had this same problem and can give me some insight. Thanks for the help guys!

Also, Does someone remember off the top of there head what size wrench is needed to hold the backside of the endlink so it wont spin when tightening the nut??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for trying to help. I used one of your pics to show you what im talking about. The link that connects the swarbar to the lower control arm. The "endlink". Like you said i think it is a 17mm but wanted to make sure because i didnt have the right size wrench when i was trying to tighten it so i had to use an adjustable wrench and that didnt work very well. Heres the pic of what im talking about and like i said, its the backside i need to know the size for. The nut is a 17mm so i would think the backside would be the same just wanted to make sure:

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Yea, back and front are the same on all but the lower assist at the end that goes to the car, that is the weird camed bolt of the 5 link suspension.

But I see what you are talkinga about now. Sorry, I don't have the specs on that, I never took that off. But thanks for telling me what that is called now, I like to use proper terminology.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Check the tool kit for the spare tire. Its in the trunk on the drivers side i think. You could be bouncing more with the springs ad the tools are banging against each other

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the tool kit for the spare tire. Its in the trunk on the drivers side i think. You could be bouncing more with the springs ad the tools are banging against each other
its on the passenger side in my car. but i took all that stuff out to see if that fixed the first rattle i had. cant remember if they were in there or not when i noticed this noise?? thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its the endlinks. MKV VW's had this problem with coilovers. I personally went through 3 sets of endlinks on my ksports before the issue was remedied. It was a combination of adjustment, design and the fact that I was slammed. Your endlinks might be bolted down to spec, but make sure they are adjusted to your ride height.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the endlinks. MKV VW's had this problem with coilovers. I personally went through 3 sets of endlinks on my ksports before the issue was remedied. It was a combination of adjustment, design and the fact that I was slammed. Your endlinks might be bolted down to spec, but make sure they are adjusted to your ride height.
The gencoupe endlinks are non adjustable?:dunno: how am i supposed to adjust them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The gencoupe endlinks are non adjustable?:dunno: how am i supposed to adjust them?
Lowering a car changes the angles of the suspension. Since the geometry is off, you will need to put the angles back into OEM fitment. So, if oem endlinks met the swaybar at, lets say, 45 degrees, the lowered angle should still be at 45. This can only happen is you shorten the length of the endlink. KSport has adjustable links KSport USA - Performance Suspension | Coilovers/Big Brake Kits/Air Suspension/Alignment Parts for Honda, Nissan, Acura, Infiniti, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Lexus and other Performance Cars

Ive used those exact front endlinks on my VW and they were the only ones that cured the clunking issue.

If you want to build your own:
VWVortex.com - DIY: Build your own Adjustable Front Sway Endlinks

You can use that DIY to make short rear endlinks.

Trust me, the VW community went through this already and this was the only way to get rid of the clunk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so this sound would sound like a high pitched knocking sound when you hit a bump in the road?? It just doesnt seem like the endlinks can make that type of noise. It almost sounds like a heat shield banging against the exhaust or something to that effect. More of a clank, than a clunk sound suspension components would typically have.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the same problem on my passenger rear side...i have BC coilovers and I tightened the collars on the coils, un-installed then re-installed the coils, and i'm still getting this damn annoying noise...i'm thinking it might be something loose down under (like my exhaust) cuz i bottomed out in my parking garage at work...can't get into the garage at work, lol

·
U wot M8
1,908 Posts
I just spun down my struts, seemed to fix it initially, but after a day of driving some noise returns... i'm 90% positive it is the endlinks because it only does it when the bump is on a certain side. if it is a dip in the road with both wheels there is no noise.

hope that makes sense. investigating further today.

·
Registered
280 Posts
^ i just got my new wheels so im gonna work on getting those installed and while im down there im gonna reinvestigate see if its the endlinks, cuz i had trouble getting those back on, just the side that makes the noise too

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
anybody solve the problem...

installed some eibach pro-kit and have clunking sound on bumps ....passenger side rear

sound is audible if i hit a bump on this side only

·
Registered
755 Posts
anybody solve the problem...

installed some eibach pro-kit and have clunking sound on bumps ....passenger side rear

sound is audible if i hit a bump on this side only
Had this problem when I installed my Eibach's. The bumpstops that came with the springs did not fit correctly and could slide freely on the strut. To fix it I put a ziptie under the bumpstop and pushed it all the way up as it should be.

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
Had this problem when I installed my Eibach's. The bumpstops that came with the springs did not fit correctly and could slide freely on the strut. To fix it I put a ziptie under the bumpstop and pushed it all the way up as it should be.
i did this... but it looks like its making noise when bumping from left to right not up and down as its pretty stiff on the shaft

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i did this... but it looks like its making noise when bumping from left to right not up and down as its pretty stiff on the shaft
When you changed the springs, did you take the end link off the sway bar or did you take out the 2 bolts that hold the sway bar to the frame?

I didn't even bother changing the rear bump stops and I'm not having any issues in the rear but I do have a strange sound coming from the front when turning, coming down off a curb. The springs themselves are seated on rubber so I can't see it being the springs making the noise, I'm thinking end links.

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
we took out the 2 bolts on each side that holds the swaybar to the frame

·
tadam!
2,572 Posts
ill just sue McMonopoly and maybe Johnanto too..:D.
psychological stress...
ill do some testing with dust boot again... pretty sure that is the problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts