Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a r32 skyline here in southern california for a fairly good deal. According to the owner, it has plates and its legal. But i have talked to some other people and they have said that no matter what the car will get impounded since its a RHD car. Even if it has been modified to fit the emission standards and etc. I also read that skylines are being confiscated and etc. Does Anyone have any information on this subject? i seem to be fairly lost. i just want to know if theyre legal or illegal, and if legal, would there be any steps i would have to take to insure that it stays legal?

Thanks

-Brian

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
If you wer anywhere besides Cali I'd say you might be ok, but in Cali the govt is communist, I'd pass on that deal.

·
Ontario Genesis Club
3,356 Posts
+1, its to bad Cali is so harsh!

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
You really need to be careful when buying these cars. For one, if you're going to buy it, be ready to drive it for track reasons only.

Even if you do prove that the car isnt stollen. thats greats, but in order to have this car register, you have to buy 3 r32's and have them crash tested to have a rating on how the car handles to accidents.

Early last year and late the year before that. The government and polive departments have been hunting down a lot of GT-R's due to them not being legally imported properly.

I had a friend who had a friend with an EVO VI. Was in love with it and didn't want to sale it. He got it from this guy who had to leave back to Japan because his Visa expired and had to sale all of his JDM cars. Sold his EVO that was registered in Florida for lke $15K. Then the owner didn't want to sale it. Then he txt me like 2 months later asking if I wanted it. It sounded fishy but I put two and two together with all of the impounding that was going on and offered him a $1 for it because I knew what was going on, but I didn't tell him I knew.

There are only a select few of these cars that are registered but these people are high class, ace, super important, political people who have these cars legally registerd to drive. If someone wanted to sale it, it would cost just as much as the new GT-R to sale.

Its hard to say if they're ilegal because, again. There's a hunt for these cars. Blame Motor-X. but most of this stuff is post motor-x scandle. I know some Marines and Navy soldiers import these on their own, but the car's are not registerd. Most of thes cars only see track time and spend most of the time on the road on a truck bed.

In Florida and some other states, they're legal to have. But in California... NOPE!

Find out how much he wants, get someone who's delt with stuff like this before and make a real gawd damn good choice. Cause you can buy it, then next week, bye bye skyline.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really need to be careful when buying these cars. For one, if you're going to buy it, be ready to drive it for track reasons only.

Even if you do prove that the car isnt stollen. thats greats, but in order to have this car register, you have to buy 3 r32's and have them crash tested to have a rating on how the car handles to accidents.

Early last year and late the year before that. The government and polive departments have been hunting down a lot of GT-R's due to them not being legally imported properly.

I had a friend who had a friend with an EVO VI. Was in love with it and didn't want to sale it. He got it from this guy who had to leave back to Japan because his Visa expired and had to sale all of his JDM cars. Sold his EVO that was registered in Florida for lke $15K. Then the owner didn't want to sale it. Then he txt me like 2 months later asking if I wanted it. It sounded fishy but I put two and two together with all of the impounding that was going on and offered him a $1 for it because I knew what was going on, but I didn't tell him I knew.

There are only a select few of these cars that are registered but these people are high class, ace, super important, political people who have these cars legally registerd to drive. If someone wanted to sale it, it would cost just as much as the new GT-R to sale.

Its hard to say if they're ilegal because, again. There's a hunt for these cars. Blame Motor-X. but most of this stuff is post motor-x scandle. I know some Marines and Navy soldiers import these on their own, but the car's are not registerd. Most of thes cars only see track time and spend most of the time on the road on a truck bed.

In Florida and some other states, they're legal to have. But in California... NOPE!

Find out how much he wants, get someone who's delt with stuff like this before and make a real gawd damn good choice. Cause you can buy it, then next week, bye bye skyline.
thats the only problem. The guy has known my brother for many years. and he did infact work for a Registered Importer and stated that he imported them himself. i have personally seen the three skylines he owns. Two R32, One R34. He sold the R34, and currently drives an R32 GTR, thats on temp stickers since that one is not registered here. The other R32, he said, is plated and registered legally, but its not a GTR, and its not modded.

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
thats the only problem. The guy has known my brother for many years. and he did infact work for a Registered Importer and stated that he imported them himself. i have personally seen the three skylines he owns. Two R32, One R34. He sold the R34, and currently drives an R32 GTR, thats on temp stickers since that one is not registered here. The other R32, he said, is plated and registered legally, but its not a GTR, and its not modded.
Even if you knwo a guy for many years, having the power of saying "hey, im finally let you have a shot to have sex with my gf, who is btw a Victoria Secret Modle." and not knowing, she has herpies. Who would say no to that? If I was him, I would so screw someone over before I got screwed over that bad, Forgive me lord but I would.

Its not rigestered legally... why? Why not rigerster it? So its a RWD GTS?

Buy it, but don't plan on DDing the sucker, its just impossible here in Cali.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if you knwo a guy for many years, having the power of saying "hey, im finally let you have a shot to have sex with my gf, who is btw a Victoria Secret Modle." and not knowing, she has herpies. Who would say no to that? If I was him, I would so screw someone over before I got screwed over that bad, Forgive me lord but I would.

Its not rigestered legally... why? Why not rigerster it? So its a RWD GTS?

Buy it, but don't plan on DDing the sucker, its just impossible here in Cali.
true that, thanks for ur input ^__^

still looking for a new / used car, but financially we cannot afford a genesis coupe lol

any good options around 10 grand?

·
Lord Stig
6,676 Posts
true that, thanks for ur input ^__^

still looking for a new / used car, but financially we cannot afford a genesis coupe lol

any good options around 10 grand?
look for a 350Z almost bought one for $12k but the tires were almsot done, it needed a transmission oil and diff oil change, the engine was strong, some scuffs and scratchs, I didnt mind. Then it had like 80k miles and the driver seat was beat to hell and it smelled like cigs. Passed. lol

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
if you can't afford a gen coupe, you can't afford to OWN a skyline either. You ca buy just about anything from 2000-ish with 10k. look around

·
NOU!
1,142 Posts
i saw this deal somewhere
i want to bite so bad but dont have the money for it right now, & other problematic reasons
& ive seen quite a few rhd cars & they were running ok o_O
but yeah i wouldnt risk it especially because of how ca is becoming so strict with car regulations etc.

·
I'm a wheel whore
106 Posts
IIRC, R33 is the only street legal one

Motorex tried to pass off R32 and R34 as R33, then FBI found out...

There might be some type of exemption for that 500 "special plates" they give out every year in Cali...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please do not assume that because I can afford a gen coupe that I cannot afford the skyline. I can in fact, afford it. It's an amazing deal and I wanted clarification. Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
You mis read.

You may be able to afford to BUY it, but you can't afford to OWN it.

get an insurance quote.

·
Registered
409 Posts
why insure it if you cant even register it.
if after all this your still considering it, screw it.. buy jjashaa's BMW that hes selling for 5grand.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
why insure it if you cant even register it.
if after all this your still considering it, screw it.. buy jjashaa's BMW that hes selling for 5grand.
idk if u read or not, but it was stated that it was plated and registered legally. so yes i can ensure it. and i dont want to argue with people over forums, so the guy who said i cant afford insurance, then let him think what he wants. but personally, i do not want a BMW, they are **** after a couple years and cost to maintain them its rediculous

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's completely rebuilt 91 BMW 3 series.. Check it out. Also true cost to own a r32 or what not is just as bad as owning.a BMW

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
idk if u read or not, but it was stated that it was plated and registered legally. so yes i can ensure it. and i dont want to argue with people over forums, so the guy who said i cant afford insurance, then let him think what he wants. but personally, i do not want a BMW, they are **** after a couple years and cost to maintain them its rediculous
Dude don't listen to the know-it-alls who know nothing, the R32 is completely street legal in the US (CA included) due to the statute of limitations (time). It's the R34 you are gonna have trouble with.

Buy that R32 if you can afford it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could. Roll it up to my garage in OC and I'll help you fix it up. I'd kill for one of those cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude don't listen to the know-it-alls who know nothing, the R32 is completely street legal in the US (CA included) due to the statute of limitations (time). It's the R34 you are gonna have trouble with.

Buy that R32 if you can afford it, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could. Roll it up to my garage in OC and I'll help you fix it up. I'd kill for one of those cars.
Thanks for the clarficatoon Jim, I'm going to double check it just to make sure, but that's all I was asking for. If it's legal or illegal, and if legal, would there be steps to keep it legal. Imma do some more research

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I got your message on FB, I'll see what I can round up - on your end though, talk to the seller and ask to see the proof of insurance, pink slip etc, copy off as much data as you can and then see if the DMV will verify the VIN. I believe the statute was fifteen years (which any R32 is past by now...) and they WERE DOT certified even back in the day. If you brought a rolling chassis or complete car from Japan directly on your own - that was a different story.

It's the R34 that is the real danger. The Motorex R34s to be specific - Motorex prepped them (ostensibly) for sale as road going cars in the US. Legend has it that a number of Motorex crates full of R34s still sit in Long Beach harbor under the ownership of the US Customs and Border Protection division of DHS. Legend also has it, that at some point, the statute of limitations on how long CBP can impound that/those container(s) is gonna run out VERY soon now...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts