Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,004 Posts
I had aCM flywheel and went back to stock flywheel after the gears in my tranny got ate through. Also... It's ass loud.

My CM stage 2 and stock flywheel is really easy to drive, quiet and caused no loss of low end torque.

Lightweight flywheel = faster spin up, more hp, less torque.

CM does have the heaviest SM flywheel available right now though.

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
Fair Nuff, and I definitely dont disagree with you.

My own experience with Kevlar on my Subaru was completely issue free, even through the freezing cold (Bully Clutch FTW). So I wonder how widespread the kevlar issue is on other platforms.

·
With teeth.
1,138 Posts
Is it that easy to glaze the Kevlar stuff? I don't have sub-zero temperatures here, but don't Evo's and STi's all use kevlar clutches? They said that you can remedy light glazing from heavy use by just driving mildly around town. These kevlar clutches are supposed to last almost forever!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i apologize im new here so if i post something wrong ..im sorry my bad
I see price betweeen BBB/PRW and Beyond Redline are $85 difference the both sell competion brand but are they the same in quality

Thank You

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I wanted to make a thread and I need peoples help to minimize my searching time and help everyone out when they are looking to buy one. Please correct me if I am wrong I will try to edit it. I am looking to get a new clutch and it is a pain flipping through so many threads and sites. I helps to make an educated descision based on specs from a consolidated list.

This thread was made to help people when clutch shopping, though I just want facts, and not opinions (there is enough threads out there on that), so pictures are factual, and if could help a purchase, so sure, post them up. and if you don't mind putting up other pics you have found to try and get all the pics in one post somewhat broken down/seperated like I did.

I don't really want to get a bunch of opinions or reviews or experiences with brands ect. in this thread, this is purely for facts/specs/info please. You come here, look at the specs, find what you like, narrow it down and THEN you can do a search on the forum or make a thread to check on their reputation, chatter, and other info that could help you decide.

Flywheels weight:

OEM DMF: 30 lbs

Exceladyne SMF (Chromoly): 13.6lbs

Exedy SMF (Chrome molly steel): 40lbs (Clutch&FW)

Clutchmasters SMF: 22 lbs

DTMSPEED SMF (alum backing Chromoly face): 17 lbs

SpeedyHouse SMF: ?

SPEC SMF (alum backing replacable face): 16.7 lbs

Competition SMF (Steel): 16lbs

Clutch materia/Torque rating max (crank lb ft) (or % over stock crank tq):

OEM: Organic/250-350 lbs seems to be people report slipping but if anyone actually has specs, please inform me.

Exceladyne Twin Disc Clutch: Unsprung Ceramic Disks/560lbs

Exedy's new Twin Disk: Sprung ceramitallic friction plates/500-600 lbs

SpeedyHouse Twin Disk: Unsprung Ceramic 6 Puck/?

DTMSPEED Stage 4 Clutch: 5 or 6 puck ceramic-cintered/ 650 lbs

SPEC Stage 1: Steel-backed and multi-compound woven organic material/420 lbs
SPEC Stage 2: Pure Kevlar friction material/490 lbs
SPEC Stage 2+: Hybrid Kevlar and Carbon-Graphite Friction material/543 lbs
SPEC Stage 3: Carbon-Graphite Friction Material/616 lbs
SPEC Stage 3+: Carbon semi-metallic friction material/688 lbs
SPEC Stage 4: Carbon-Graphite Friction Material/616 lbs
SPEC Stage 5: Full-metallic friction material/815 lbs

ClutchMasters Stage 1: Steel-Backed Organic/70% Increase
ClutchMasters Stage 2: Full Faced Kevlar/70% Increase
ClutchMasters Stage 3: Segmented Kevlar/110% Increase
ClutchMasters Stage 4: Ceramic 4 Puck or Ceramic 6 Puck/170% Increase
ClutchMasters Stage 5: Unsprung Ceramic 4 puck, 6 puck, or sintered iron/200-400% Increase

Competiton Clutch Stage 2: Steelback Brass/80% Increase
Competiton Clutch Stage 3: Segmented Kevlar/150% Increase
Competition Clutch Stage 3: Segmented Cermamic/150% Increase
Competiton Clutch Stage 3 Ironman: Iron 6 Puck/175% Increase
Competiton Clutch Stage 4: Sprung or unsprung Ceramic 6 Puck/250% Increase
Competiton Clutch Stage 5: Sprung or unsprung Ceramic 4 puck/300% Increase

PP Material/Force:

OEM : ?/1200lbs

Exceladyne: ?/?

Exedy: ?/?

Clutchmasters: cast ductile iron/?

DTMSPEED : Aluminum/2200-2400 lbs

SpeedyHouse: Aluminum/?

SPEC: ?/?

Competition: Steel/2700lbs

PBIR stg3+: ?/2800 lbs

Price:

Exceladyne Twin Disc Clutch + PP + Flywheel: ~$2300

Exedy's new Twin Disk + PP + Flywheel: $1800

SpeedyHouse Twin Disk + PP + TOB: Projected $1600-$1900.

DTMSPEED Stage 4 clutch + PP + Flywheel: $1600

SPEC Flywheel: $530
SPEC Stage 1+ PP: $500
SPEC Stage 2+ PP:$546
SPEC Stage 2+ + PP:$560
SPEC Stage 3+ PP:$530
SPEC Stage 3+ + PP:$646
SPEC Stage 4+ PP:$530
SPEC Stage 5+ PP:$700

ClutchMasters flywheel: $960
ClutchMasters Stage 1+ PP: $575
ClutchMasters Stage 2+ PP: $645
ClutchMasters Stage 3+ PP: $645
ClutchMasters Stage 4+ PP: $645
ClutchMasters Stage 5+ PP: $575

Competiton Clutch Stage 2 + PP: $895
Competiton Clutch Stage 3 + PP: $995
Competition Clutch Stage 3 Ironman + PP:995
Competiton Clutch Stage 4 + PP: $895
Competiton Clutch Stage 5 + PP: $895

DMF= Dual Mass Flywheel

SMF= Single Mass Flywheel
I am not going to classify any ALF (aftermarket lighweight flywheel) as that is really subjective. The weights are listed, you decide if it is a SMF or ALF.

PP=Pressure Plate

TOB= Throw Out Bearing

The tool you need for taking the flywheel off is a torx tool. labeled T-60 is the name of the tool. you can pick that up almost any auto store or ace.

Thanks to SoCalturbo, Adamantine, Quartermaster, Snoopy0812, and Tony20tGen, BadBoyBill, whatever210 for their help in aquiring some of the info.

And due to the inability to only post info/specs and not opinions or questions, I am requesting this thread be locked and if you have any updates or edits, please PM a mod and they have the ability to add/fix and add your name to the bottom for your contribution.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thank you

Also i dont know why Hyundai does not wanna cover the replacement i got manufacture warranty and extended powertrain warranty (trough premier )
Well the say it was a abuse and the wont cover it but i did have issues in the past with shifting but i tought it was me not pushing the clutch all the way but its not sometimes it makes noise too even if I push it all the way.
I called the warranty company but the never heard from the dealer and there was no claim filed maybe because they went trough manufacture warranty not premier .But should'n they have even try to file a claim or they did not try cause they know the premier wont cover it trough the "abuse"
I called the premier and they r going to send a adjuster to look at the problem
Do i have any chance here guys to win this can they tell its a abuse ?
Plus when i told the hyundai i dont wanna fix it now the wanna charge me $400 for disassembling parts.
I dont know what to say about this Hyundai they r piss... me off
Should i fight this anybody had a same issue ?
Please some advice maybe i can avoid buying out of pocket parts and paying for the labor somewhere else .

Thank u
Almost no warranty company on the face of the earth with cover a clutch or pressure plate. I looked at the platinum warranty details that Hyundai sells for extended warranty options and it even says in the fine print it doesn't cover light bulbs, brake rotors or pads and clutch/pressure plate. You can still try it never hurts to ask but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi to everyone

I need some advice on getting a fly wheel and a clutch ...the hyundai wants $5000 dollars and i dont have that kind of money and i dont know what for if it is peace of Sh.. parts
Ok maybe I did abused last weekend maybe not idk but i had some issues shifting in the past too.
So i called my old friend mechanic to find me a parts and to find out the pricing on it .
I also checked the website SPEC Clutches & Flywheels: Auto Parts, Domestic, Import, Truck, Racing, Drifting :: Home but im not expert on these things so im asking for advice what and where should i buy .

Thank u

2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium
40000 miles on it
This is the boat I was in... It sucked but yes the factory clutch was not an option once I killed the first on. Went up to BR for an install of a full clutchmaster kit. I would never even think about the spec option. There is a ton of disengagement issues people are having with them. I picked clutchmaster because they put a lifetime warranty on the flywheel so you have to pay the money up front but down the road you know you have peace of mind because you will only need to be paying for $400 to $500 clutches over time and install no more flywheel drama. Kind of nice. The stage II is wonderful and holds everything I throw at it. I have about 30k miles on my stage II kit and no issue. Drives like stock. Just a little noisy in the summer time when it gets hot. "clutch chatter" a lot of that comes from the dual mass assembly and well there is just not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I happy i got a new clutch and flywheel(cc stage 2) it drives with more torque(love it) the only issue i have its a bit noisy especially when downshiting and driving in lower gear and when im in neutral i can hear a rattle but when i hit a clutch its gone .
Idk im happy but very annoyed with this noise!!!!!
I got already 900 miles on it i hope the rattle will go away .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello guys
Im having hardtime about understanding clutch kits and Flywheel

I think Clutch master Stage 2 is good for me and do i need Flywheel if i install stage 2 clutch kits??
Or can anyone suggest me some other clutches that has no problems? or good performance?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hello guys
Im having hardtime about understanding clutch kits and Flywheel

I think Clutch master Stage 2 is good for me and do i need Flywheel if i install stage 2 clutch kits??
Or can anyone suggest me some other clutches that has no problems? or good performance?
Thanks
Get a CC stage 2 you WONT regret it...holds all the power you will possible need till past stage 3 power levels(350 HP/TQ) has very good drivability and will last quite a while. I just installed mine i have ZERO engagement issues only the usual noise upgrading to a SMF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a CC stage 2 you WONT regret it...holds all the power you will possible need till past stage 3 power levels(350 HP/TQ) has very good drivability and will last quite a while. I just installed mine i have ZERO engagement issues only the usual noise upgrading to a SMF.
Do i need flywheel as well? same thing as clutch kit CC?
btw, i heard that Clutch Master is great too which one is better or who has less problems?

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
btw, i heard that Clutch Master is great too which one is better or who has less problems?
comes down to $$

·
FIEBRU MEMBER
453 Posts
Whatnot you should update the list. Fidanza makes a aluminum flywheel for the GC.
Now, also you have arugos which is a sister company of ogura racing clutches ORC in Japan. They have a twin clutch for the 2.0 GC.
I know that OS Giken is working in a clutch for the GC as well but it is intended for high rollers as well as arugos clutches.

http://www.ogura-racing.com/index.html

http://www.arugos-clutch.com/

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks, but I gave up...I tried asking a few mods to help clean the thread and udate the 1st one...

But I can't understand the links.. All I would be adding would be Aluminum FW for Fidanza and that Ogura makes a twin disk...no wieghts, clutch info, prices?

·
FIEBRU MEMBER
453 Posts
I"ll get the info for u but don't worry so much about the weights for now just put what is out there. You can populate that info later.

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I no sense of adding a name brand is all I meant. If you get some pricing, and clutch power rating at a min. I can add it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Always a rule of thumb is to replace these together... just a good idea. I have over 40k miles on my clutchmaster stage 2 and it is wonderful that is 40k miles at 20lbs of boost daily driven.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Whatnot you should update the list. Fidanza makes a aluminum flywheel for the GC.
Now, also you have arugos which is a sister company of ogura racing clutches ORC in Japan. They have a twin clutch for the 2.0 GC.
I know that OS Giken is working in a clutch for the GC as well but it is intended for high rollers as well as arugos clutches.

ORC

ARUGOS ????
Single Disc clutch's can hold around 500 lb-ft right ? so i would just need a twin disk if I had over 400hp right ?

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
ummm no that not really the correct logic.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.