Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
I also have talked to a few guys from Cobb, I always harass them to try to come up with something.

I asked about how soon they were considering an Access Port for the GC and they have no intentions of releasing anything until the vehicle has been out for a while.

Sure they have the ports out for the Si, STi, Lancer, GT-R etc... but those vehicles have been out for YEARS.

I am assuming the reason for waiting on creating anything for the Genesis is because it's so new.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
for a quick run down: cobb isn't interested at all and if enough people show interest they MIGHT make one in a year or two. That's not including R&D so maybe around the 2012 refresh.

·
Registered
879 Posts
This sucks, so they rather cater to girls and old men driving auto G35s who dont care about performance?

They rather just wait for someone to make something and when they want to get into it it'd be too late? Like most Evo's (even though they have done very well with the Evo X).

Seriously how many Mazda Speed3's and 6's do you see modded on the street? Here in Miami, I've only seen one MS3 with a stage 2 on the AP. The MS6 I dont even want to talk about, oh yeah what about the RX8?!

They probably dont think this car will be a hit, it is priced very competitively and you get a lot more than most cars in this price range.

In the Subaru world, the AP is the thing that most people have, in the 350Z/G35/370/G37, most people just get wheels intakes and exhaust, no tuning! Makes no sense to me!

·
Knows some stuff...
6,852 Posts
a stand alone that allows you to,log tune, and virtual dyno, with 20 tunes stored as opposed to a similarly priced, doens't let you tune or log, and only holds 3 tunes on it?

yea, I would think this would put PA reflasher out of business, and greatly reduced the resale value of PA (as everyone would be trying to sell thiers and get the Cobb), and would put NSPP out of business, and the CMD might hang on due to the AutoTuning, but that would be the only advantage over this.

Why has cobb not jumped in this market?

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
They're targeting the people they KNOW have money (ok Mazda.. I don't know about that one :p)

In August a customer who bought the new GT-R bought an access port and I've sold about 4 to my STi customers.

As much as I personally LOVE the AP, it proves to be useless to me as I don't plan to mod my Genesis.

·
US Navy all the way
143 Posts
That's why PA will get my business as soon as they get he full reflash for the 3.8. They care enough to put time and sweet for the GC community. I don't need that many configuration choices anyway. Just give me max amount of power and tq and the ability to put it back to stock and I'm good.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
In the Subaru world, the AP is the thing that most people have, in the 350Z/G35/370/G37, most people just get wheels intakes and exhaust, no tuning! Makes no sense to me!
I don't know very much about tuning Subarus specifically, but from what I have heard most people have a AccessPort (or similar device) because you can't add anything to a Scooby and expect any benefits at all without tuning it. I've heard in some cases you actually lose power.

Just some things I've come across when car shopping/comparing and looking at a WRX.

It does suck that they haven't released one yet. I'm sure they'd get a ton of business from the Coupe owners.. Though last time someone posted sales numbers for the Southeast (I think) they weren't too hot.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don't know very much about tuning Subarus specifically, but from what I have heard most people have a AccessPort (or similar device) because you can't add anything to a Scooby and expect any benefits at all without tuning it. I've heard in some cases you actually lose power.

Just some things I've come across when car shopping/comparing and looking at a WRX.

It does suck that they haven't released one yet. I'm sure they'd get a ton of business from the Coupe owners.. Though last time someone posted sales numbers for the Southeast (I think) they weren't too hot.
Yes the Subarus especially with the 2.5L will run like crap with a full 3" turbo back and no tune, they need tuning for everything. I had an aftermarket radiator and thermostat on my 08 STi because the radiator was so crappy and subarus run 1 point richer from 190 degrees and up make it difficult to tune if they are too hot. But none the less they are very easy to tune on regular bases, my good friend and tuner would do a stage 2 STi in like 30 minutes.

I guess I'll have to go with an e-manage or open source whichever is out first! :(

·
Miss Thread Derailer
2,975 Posts
I wouldn't say that Subies are hard to tune... they're just expensive :p

I've sold a few 3" downpipes for the STi and the customers haven't had a complaint (then again, those were the customers with the AccessPort)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wouldn't say that Subies are hard to tune... they're just expensive :p

I've sold a few 3" downpipes for the STi and the customers haven't had a complaint (then again, those were the customers with the AccessPort)
i;ve tuned mine for absolutely free. romraider and ecu flash ftw!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes the Subarus especially with the 2.5L will run like crap with a full 3" turbo back and no tune, they need tuning for everything. I had an aftermarket radiator and thermostat on my 08 STi because the radiator was so crappy and subarus run 1 point richer from 190 degrees and up make it difficult to tune if they are too hot. But none the less they are very easy to tune on regular bases, my good friend and tuner would do a stage 2 STi in like 30 minutes.

I guess I'll have to go with an e-manage or open source whichever is out first! :(
i've not heard about this issue. can you explain what you mean? there are a ton of sti's tuned on the oem radiator and TS.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i've not heard about this issue. can you explain what you mean? there are a ton of sti's tuned on the oem radiator and TS.
Well the 08+ have a much smaller core than the 04-07 STi's. The ECU begins to dump more fuel into the cylinder whenever the car runs 190 degrees and up. It is more of a precaution than an issue. Once you keep your temps down you run more realistic numbers and easier, if you tune a car that is running an entire point richer and then it leans it out when it cools off that becomes a problem, especially if you are tuning a GT30/35.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope COBB does review this thread....Their Access Port is an amazing tuning tool that has allowed me and many others to tune some heavily equipped GTR's, Subies, Z's/G's, Evo's, Speed 3's/ 6's....their software is very user friendly....hopefully the demand reaches their expectations and development will continue!

-Jack

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Just FYI, there is open source software to create the mappings etc, PowerAXEL has the tools to flash the ECU, all you have to do is find someone with some free time to slightly modify the software to line-up with what the Siemen ECU can read (similar used in the EVO) and voila who needs to spend money on a AP?

The only thing holding me back is the original files used by PowerAXEL to flash the ECU.

Main Page - OpenECU

·
Banned
705 Posts
I've seen their products for other cars and they are awesome. I would rather have this over any current offering. Cobb does some awesome work and it would be a great thing to have them working with the gen coupe community.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.