Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total noob when it comes to a coilover setup. All I know is I want a slight drop and want to have stock ride quaility. I have a 3.8 base so it is not a very rough ride. My last car had a 2.5 drop with just springs and it rode like a log wagon. My wife would kill me if I made this brand new car ride like shat. Any sugestions would be nice.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
eibach pro-kit and eibach sportlines don't ride bad at all, don't get me wrong I eventually made the switch over to coilovers myself, but only because I was looking for more control, and performance.

I also came from a track set-up/suspension so i couldn't tell you how the Base suspension felt like. Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I am wrong here but I have read that just puting lowering springs on stock struts is bad. The stock struts are compressed more than they shoul be makeing for a rougher ride. And the bump stops get hit quicker

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
The "base" GenCoupes may be OK for "old" people or people not into performance, but me & my brother both would not have purchased the base model coupe after haven driven them. They just don't handle well enought for either of us, so he bought a 3.8 Track & I bought a 2.0 R-Spec. The OEM track tuned suspension is OK & good enough for most, but if you want a lower ride height, the Eibach springs are a good choice for DD use.

You are correct Darth Genesis, that the lowering spring along with stock shocks will eventually blow the shocks/struts out, but that may take several years to happen, so you can still do it & save for the upgraded struts later. If you want adjustability, the Stance & ARKs seem to fit the bill well for DD use.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have a set of eibach pro kit springs "with" track struts for sale if you're worried about blowing struts... At a steal too!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am not old and I am into performance but I don't want to break my teeth out on every bump. I also have my family in the car with me a lot so I don't want to make it harsh for them.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
When you're mentioning breaking teeth, I assume you're talking about bottoming out. Meaning bumpstop hits the chasis. Eibach Springs come with replacement bumpstops (shorter and made of more forgiving material)

·
3.8 gt
156 Posts
i have a 3.8 with base suspension and ive been driving it for a while now. i just ordered a set of bc racing coilovers and i DD the car, ill let you know how they ride.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am somewhat interested in results also. I have the track suspension and love the handling but it rides like a wagon and my wife doesn't even like to take it when its just us. Adjustable Coilovers the answer?

·
Flame Thrower
1,124 Posts
I am somewhat interested in results also. I have the track suspension and love the handling but it rides like a wagon and my wife doesn't even like to take it when its just us. Adjustable Coilovers the answer?
Eh, yes and no. kind of depends what you get. Spring rates and type of springs play a large role. Having adjustable damping plays a role too. Kind of have to find a happy medium. Does not really matter what you do, you will sacrifice ride comfort for performance.
I have the Neotech Le and have my damping in the middle (6 or 7) and it rides a little rough but handles friggin awesome on curvy roads.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
The "base" GenCoupes may be OK for "old" people or people not into performance, but me & my brother both would not have purchased the base model coupe after haven driven them.
So true, but Rspec ain't an option up here and I didn't have the extra 10k, so this spring = stance FTW!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts