Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This I my first post so forgive me in advance if I screw this up. I have a 2016 Genesis Coupe Ultimate. I have seen all over the Internet for sale coilovers, lowering springs, and wheel spacers. What I would greatly appreciate is information on is any one better than the other, advantages/disadvantages, and is a particular brand better than the other? Would it to be best use only one, a combination, or install all three?

·
Registered
190 Posts
With most coilovers you can adjust the height and damper as you please. With lowering springs you get a set height and you also use the stock struts. Wheel spacers just bring the tires more out. Here is a picture of my car. I'm runing eibach sportline lowering springs with 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm on the rear.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Hoonigan
79 Posts
Coilovers-

Pros: Improve handling, adjustable ride height, adjustable dampening.
Cons: Expensive, If you cheap out on them they can break fast

Springs-

Pros: cheap, stance look, slightly better handling than stock.
Cons: they wear out the stock struts fast, Set height

My advice is to save up for coils. If you are only looking for a stance look then buy springs, but coils are much more beneficial for the long run and they are worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info guys and sweet ride Cesar. Is there a particular brand that is better? Is there a brand to definitely stay away from? I guess if I got the wheel spacers I could adjust the height I liked.

·
Hoonigan
79 Posts
Good info guys and sweet ride Cesar. Is there a particular brand that is better? Is there a brand to definitely stay away from? I guess if I got the wheel spacers I could adjust the height I liked.
As for coilover brands, most people go with BC coils Since they are at a reasonable price and good quality. I also heard good things about KW sports.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most people that purchase lowering springs for their car end up buying coilovers later on either way so imo its worth just saving up for coilovers to begin with, plus with coilovers you don't need to worry about quickly wearing out your stock suspension, not being able to clear certain wheel offsets, etc. As far as good brands i would look into BC Racing, Stance, and PBM(i personally have the BC's)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're just lowering for the look, I'd recommend picking up a set of Bilstein B8 shocks and struts and pairing them with either Eibach or H&R lowering springs. The B8s are designed for lowering springs and really make a difference in the handling/feel of your car and are truly an easy install with no tweaking necessary...

It's been my experience that the majority of people never adjust their coilovers once they're installed, other than to correct problems with spring rates or to try to even out the drop on all 4 corners.

If you're actually going to track your car, and plan on adjusting depending on what track you're going to, then do coilovers.

If you want to slam your car and tuck those tires up under the fenders, then coilovers or an air suspension are what you need.

If you just want a good looking drop that doesn't ruin your ability to drive your car on city streets, go Bilstein B8 w/ Eibach/H&R springs. Handling is improved over stock and no adjustment necessary. Bilstein is the shock and strut of choice for most higher end vehicles. We just got lucky that they are the only aftermarket manufacturer of shocks and strict for the Gen Coupe.

This is mine on B8s and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, with 20mm spacers on the front and 25mm on the rear. I spent about $1,100 for parts and did the install in my garage with simple tools (plus a $35 spring compressor) in about 3 hours. Add an alignment and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again guys I really appreciate the information it helps me greatly from wasting time and more importantly money lol. Think I'll go with the coilovers and wheel spacers. BTW nice ride Squid thumbs up! When I get mine I'll post pics.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you're just lowering for the look, I'd recommend picking up a set of Bilstein B8 shocks and struts and pairing them with either Eibach or H&R lowering springs. The B8s are designed for lowering springs and really make a difference in the handling/feel of your car and are truly an easy install with no tweaking necessary...

It's been my experience that the majority of people never adjust their coilovers once they're installed, other than to correct problems with spring rates or to try to even out the drop on all 4 corners.

If you're actually going to track your car, and plan on adjusting depending on what track you're going to, then do coilovers.

If you want to slam your car and tuck those tires up under the fenders, then coilovers or an air suspension are what you need.

If you just want a good looking drop that doesn't ruin your ability to drive your car on city streets, go Bilstein B8 w/ Eibach/H&R springs. Handling is improved over stock and no adjustment necessary. Bilstein is the shock and strut of choice for most higher end vehicles. We just got lucky that they are the only aftermarket manufacturer of shocks and strict for the Gen Coupe.

This is mine on B8s and Eibach Pro-Kit springs, with 20mm spacers on the front and 25mm on the rear. I spent about $1,100 for parts and did the install in my garage with simple tools (plus a $35 spring compressor) in about 3 hours. Add an alignment and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good post Squid, it kinda answers several questions ive had about the advantages ajustible suspention, so called "coilovers" vs quality non ajustible struts. For me have no desire to make my coupe any lower than stock, im kinda old and its hard enough to get in and out of that sucker, im assuming the struts/springs are avalible in stock ride highth for those who choose that route, or would one just stick with the stock springs on the new struts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good post Squid, it kinda answers several questions ive had about the advantages ajustible suspention, so called "coilovers" vs quality non ajustible struts. For me have no desire to make my coupe any lower than stock, im kinda old and its hard enough to get in and out of that sucker, im assuming the struts/springs are avalible in stock ride highth for those who choose that route, or would one just stick with the stock springs on the new struts?

I'm not exactly a young man anymore myself... I refuse to believe it though, so I did a mild drop with the Eibach Pro-Kit and just suffer through getting in and out. It's only about 1.2" or so though.... Lol.

The struts and shocks you're looking for are the Bilstein B6's. They're stock replacements, but still give the performance bump that's associated with their reputation. I'm certain they're a better quality product than what is used in most of the "coilover" systems out there. I haven't put much time into searching for stock height springs. Although, it doesn't seem like there is anything available aside from the OEM springs. Which is kind of strange. I checked Summit, Jegs, Advance Auto, etc..etc... nothing as far as replacement springs. Only the Eibach and H&R lowering springs. Might have to either use your stock springs or get a new set of OEM springs from Hyundai.

I'd recommend swapping out the stock swaybar end links while you have it torn down with the MOOG K750639. They're a much beefier product and not too expensive ($30/each).

Here's a side by side for comparison. Moog is on the left. Stock on the right. I hit one massive pothole!

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way the B8's and Pro-Kit springs worked out. You can definitely feel the added performance even on the street without shoving your spine into your skull on every bump. Plus, I'm not quite as terrified of speed bumps and bumpy roads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys I scored a set of BC Racing BR coilovers today for 780. I think that is a retry good price. Now the question is how low between the wheel and fender should I go?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well guys I scored a set of BC Racing BR coilovers today for 780. I think that is a retry good price. Now the question is how low between the wheel and fender should I go?
Nice price, and it all depends on what spacers or aftermarket wheels you end up with because offset is everything when it comes to fitment

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm not exactly a young man anymore myself... I refuse to believe it though, so I did a mild drop with the Eibach Pro-Kit and just suffer through getting in and out. It's only about 1.2" or so though.... Lol.

The struts and shocks you're looking for are the Bilstein B6's. They're stock replacements, but still give the performance bump that's associated with their reputation. I'm certain they're a better quality product than what is used in most of the "coilover" systems out there. I haven't put much time into searching for stock height springs. Although, it doesn't seem like there is anything available aside from the OEM springs. Which is kind of strange. I checked Summit, Jegs, Advance Auto, etc..etc... nothing as far as replacement springs. Only the Eibach and H&R lowering springs. Might have to either use your stock springs or get a new set of OEM springs from Hyundai.

I'd recommend swapping out the stock swaybar end links while you have it torn down with the MOOG K750639. They're a much beefier product and not too expensive ($30/each).

Here's a side by side for comparison. Moog is on the left. Stock on the right. I hit one massive pothole!

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way the B8's and Pro-Kit springs worked out. You can definitely feel the added performance even on the street without shoving your spine into your skull on every bump. Plus, I'm not quite as terrified of speed bumps and bumpy roads.
With the B6's can't you pair them with a track trim spring from Hyundai?. Don't the rspec and track models come with stiffer springs than the base or premium?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
With the B6's can't you pair them with a track trim spring from Hyundai?. Don't the rspec and track models come with stiffer springs than the base or premium?

Yes. The B6’s retain the stock strut height and work with any stock height spring. You’d get the stiffer spring rate of the RSpec/Track.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes. The B6’s retain the stock strut height and work with any stock height spring. You’d get the stiffer spring rate of the RSpec/Track.
Are there different spring rates between the Rspec vs Track or are they both the same?

·
Registered
5 Posts
With most coilovers you can adjust the height and damper as you please. With lowering springs you get a set height and you also use the stock struts. Wheel spacers just bring the tires more out. Here is a picture of my car. I'm runing eibach sportline lowering springs with 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm on the rear.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Did you have to roll your fenders Cesar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
May I ask why I keep seeing "coilovers" with quotes?? Are people insinuating that these brands who sell coilovers are just selling an advanced looking spring setup? I'm so curious...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts