Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a cold air intake, but i'm not sure where to start. I was looking at the Injen 2.0L Cold air Intake. Worth it or not?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends on what you want. There's a lot of threads about comparing performance, but if you just want the looks/sound you can add a cone filter from K&N or someone on your stock piping.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You will see zero gains from a cold air intake, it is more for looks and sounds.

I have the Injen intake, but mostly because I liked how it looked and I wanted the turbo spool sound. There was no noticeable performance increase.

So, the question you have to ask yourself is, "Is it worth the $200 for the sound and look of an Injen intake." A cone filter on the stock piping will give you the same sound, you just wont have the flashy pipe and heat shield of an Injen intake.

·
The OG Gencoupe Shop
4,589 Posts
You will see zero gains from a cold air intake, it is more for looks and sounds.

I have the Injen intake, but mostly because I liked how it looked and I wanted the turbo spool sound. There was no noticeable performance increase.

So, the question you have to ask yourself is, "Is it worth the $200 for the sound and look of an Injen intake." A cone filter on the stock piping will give you the same sound, you just wont have the flashy pipe and heat shield of an Injen intake.
Zero gains they said

Just for looks and sound they said.

Data doesn't lie.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Data of dyno charts done under unknown conditions?

You're not going to try and tell me that 5hp-10hp is even noticeable under driving conditions, let alone that it is outside the standard deviation of readings between dyno runs.

The filter element is what would cause the gains. Put a $50 cone filter on your stock piping and you will see similar numbers. I'm not trying to stop a sale from you, but it is a bit deceiving to make it sound like OP will even notice a difference in his driving for the $230+ he will be spending.

I'm not an idiot, and you took what I said literally word for word. Obviously there was some hyperbole. A better filter means better air flow, which can lead to more power. The reality is, like I said an aftermarket intake is more for looks and sound than performance. You will see the same ETA reduction from removing your spare and having half a tank of gas.

·
Automotive idjut
244 Posts
There's some gain. Yes, you won't notice it hardly and you'll be doing it for sound until you have more breathing mods and a tune with it, but an intake usually helps with a couple of ponies. There isn't THAT much wrong with the stock airbox to see real gains by replacing it with an intake.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I had my 2014 Veloster turbo R Spec , I went to a dyno tune day with a bunch of Velosters from my forum. All I had was a dropin K&N filter in my stock air box. I dynoed 189 HP. Then Tork pulled my ECU and 20 minutes later I dynoed 221 HP. Then for shits and giggles he pulled the stock rubber air hose from the stock box only. I then dynoed another 8.3 HP. He just wanted to show me what I was missing by useing the stock set up and not a CAI. I eventually installed a CAI and was very happy with the results. I understand all engines are different. It just work's on that little 1.6 GDI turbo. I miss that little bugger.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I had my 2014 Veloster turbo R Spec , I went to a dyno tune day with a bunch of Velosters from my forum. All I had was a dropin K&N filter in my stock air box. I dynoed 189 HP. Then Tork pulled my ECU and 20 minutes later I dynoed 221 HP. Then for shits and giggles he pulled the stock rubber air hose from the stock box only. I then dynoed another 8.3 HP. He just wanted to show me what I was missing by useing the stock set up and not a CAI. I eventually installed a CAI and was very happy with the results. I understand all engines are different. It just work's on that little 1.6 GDI turbo. I miss that little bugger.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aftermarket intakes are pretty much the same when it comes to functionality, so just get the one that fits your budget. K&n, R2C, AEM and Injen are the popular brands.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Zero gains they said

Just for looks and sound they said.

Data doesn't lie.

Let's see some dynos from independent companies, not the ones selling the product. Sure, there may be a small hp/tq gain, but not enough that you will really notice it nor is it enough to justify spending the $ they charge on said products, IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.