Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a Genny and I'm in a stalemate with the two generations of 3.8s. MY dilemma is that I like the price and the look of the Bk1 better but the performance of the BK2 has me second guessing. I've been researching dyno numbers(full bolt on numbers)and I see that they are all over the place for both motors and it leaves me with mixed messages about how much better the GDI is then the MPI and if that margin of improvement is worth going with the newer model?..Any thoughts from both generation owners would be much appreciated..thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What do you want to know exactly? I have a base 2010 3.8 so the only drawback I can see is my interior and 50 hp less then the bk2. From what I gathered, the bk1 is easier to hit higher hp due to not having to deal with the DI, but we're talking about owners who are going past the basic turbokit option. Full bolt on bk1 should net 300whp, not sure of bk2. Bk1 turbokit will net 400whp while 450whp on the bk2. And of course a good meth injection will see even a further increases with more of a safety net.

So one has to ask themselves, are you doing just full bolts, are you turbokitting, are you going to turbokit and go even further? Is it just a daily driver that you want some more grunt or do you plan on doing some pulls to show the locals whats up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great response..I guess when you cut out all the fluff, what I really was trying to say was from what I've seen the bk2s aren't making gigs more power than the bk1s and I'm not seeing the value in spending more to get not much more..I was asking for some feedback because I didn't want to make a bias decision without hearing from the guys who already are experiencing theses cars

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I own a 14 ultimate 3.8 8 speed auto purchaced new. As previously stated it really depends on what your personal goals are and of course what your willing and able to afford. My personal feeling, nothing wrong with a good deal on a well kept BK1, I like the look of both equally their just diffrent but both look good to my eye,on top of that the nose,headlights,tail lamps, and hood change out easily but not necessarly cheaply. I never intended to dump a ton of money into my coupe, ive done that before with other bikes and cars and you never get your money back, so I wanted the most power out of the box I could get, if I felt I needed more I would have just bought somthing else. IMHO the BK2 3.8 is the best bang for the buck,YMMV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2011 BK1. Looks wise you can modify the exterior if you don't like it. There's tons of simple mods out there. If I were buying a Genesis now I would go with the BK2. It's newer, more updated, more power from the factory due to DI. As Ivdukerider said, better bang for the buck.

The car definitely has a premium feel either way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you set on the 3.8? The BK2 2.0t probably checks off a bunch of stuff on your list if you haven't entertained the idea.

Price? Equal to or a hair over BK1 3.8 prices and much lower than BK2 3.8 prices.
Performance? Stock BK2 3.8 > BK1 3.8 > BK2 2.0t (~270ish whp vs ~250ish whp vs ~230ish whp stock for stock respectively) buuuuuuut.....
Performance + Full bolt-ons + tune? BK2 2.0t > BK2 3.8 > BK1 3.8 (~300ish+ whp vs ~300ish+ whp vs ~280ish whp, not sure about BK1 3.8 but I would guess around that)
Performance + Big Turbo? Depends on deep your pockets are

My opinion, BK2 2.0t. You get the improved interior of the BK2 at BK1 3.8 prices or slightly more. Looks are subjective but cmon, we can 99% all agree the BK2 tail lights are better than BK1. That alone saves you $400 in upgrading the BK1's. Both BK2's with full bolt ons may make roughly the same peak power but ~350wtq for the 2.0t vs ~270wtq for the 3.8 is a huge difference for around town and for having fun. I get 33mpg on the highway FBO + tune if that kind of stuff matters to you, can't speak for 3.8 mpg but I would imagine far less.

If you are dead set decided on the V6 then I wasted a few minutes of your time. If not, pop over to the 2013+ 2.0t section and do some reading and you won't be disappointed. Bottom line, and most would agree, Price to Performance bargain buy out of all models of the Genesis is the BK2 2.0t hands down if you plan to mod.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
it is disappointing to see a BK1 put down over 300whp FBO while most BK2's see 310-320 FBO with only a few getting close to 330 when the factory difference is ~50.

The 2.0T guys are getting some really good numbers. Quite a few around here putting down 400+ with haltec. But I love my V6. I like the BK1 looks better, too but got the BK2 because it was what was new when I bought and I wanted new, not used. The looks of BK2 have grown on me and you can always change the front and rear to make it look nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Are you set on the 3.8? The BK2 2.0t probably checks off a bunch of stuff on your list if you haven't entertained the idea.

Price? Equal to or a hair over BK1 3.8 prices and much lower than BK2 3.8 prices.
Performance? Stock BK2 3.8 > BK1 3.8 > BK2 2.0t (~270ish whp vs ~250ish whp vs ~230ish whp stock for stock respectively) buuuuuuut.....
Performance + Full bolt-ons + tune? BK2 2.0t > BK2 3.8 > BK1 3.8 (~300ish+ whp vs ~300ish+ whp vs ~280ish whp, not sure about BK1 3.8 but I would guess around that)
Performance + Big Turbo? Depends on deep your pockets are

My opinion, BK2 2.0t. You get the improved interior of the BK2 at BK1 3.8 prices or slightly more. Looks are subjective but cmon, we can 99% all agree the BK2 tail lights are better than BK1. That alone saves you $400 in upgrading the BK1's. Both BK2's with full bolt ons may make roughly the same peak power but ~350wtq for the 2.0t vs ~270wtq for the 3.8 is a huge difference for around town and for having fun. I get 33mpg on the highway FBO + tune if that kind of stuff matters to you, can't speak for 3.8 mpg but I would imagine far less.

If you are dead set decided on the V6 then I wasted a few minutes of your time. If not, pop over to the 2013+ 2.0t section and do some reading and you won't be disappointed. Bottom line, and most would agree, Price to Performance bargain buy out of all models of the Genesis is the BK2 2.0t hands down if you plan to mod.
I've jumped back and forth between the 2.0t and the 3.8 so many times I can't count but ultimately I settled with the 3.8 because of my lifestyle and financial situation. I couldn't afford a spontaneous blown motor and I know if I get a turboed car it will happen because I'll get carried away. I just know myself lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts