1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
468 Posts
Turbo upgrade maybe... has anyone changed the trans fluid yet? I only have 4000 miles but if a turbo upgrade is in the future I need to start looking for better fluid and a larger cooler (mitsummoto (SP))

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
Chevron multi grade atf... I think
have to check when i get home.

All you have to do is look at the compatibility sheet for atf, or just look at other hyundai forums.
red 1k is common among hyundais.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just saw that Redline D4 ATF should also work for the 2.0T A/T.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It's just weird. Red 1k is just the type from Apolloil, but it meets SP-II and SP-III specifications so you'd think anything that meets those specs would work.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Advenio Pariter
3,890 Posts
I thought that I read under severe service the AT should have its fluid and filter changed even though it is sealed. Obviously, by a qualified shop. When I was challenged on this I could not find this information again. I for one am not comfortable neglecting to service an auto every 60k or so. I had a fluid / filter change on my wife's Honda between 60k and 70k. The manual did not call for it, but as long as my cars are reliable I keep them...and I like to keep them reliable. Anybody have any information on this? Being sealed I doubt this is something I can do on my back with the car on jack stands. Well, maybe I could, but I am getting older and richer so I pay for crap like this now.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,890 Posts
I changed my wife's iridium plugs before 80k and the same with my Vibe. As I get more miles I will look into this. I really have a hard time trusting a fully sealed automatic that will last well into the 100k mile range. Maybe that is me being old fashioned.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,953 Posts
Very few auto trans are not "sealed". Just because there is not a drain plug does not mean you can't change out the fluid easily.

The usual scenario is to disconnect the cooler line and start the engine. This will pump out the fluid. When the fluid stops, turn off the engine and add 2/3s total fluid capacity.

Then start engine again and run until you see the new fluid come out. Stop engine and top off the trans with new fluid until it comes out the overflow plug.

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
You should probably change your plugs before that tho. Otherwise there is a good chance youll find theyve bonded to there seats
No. If your engine is unmodded, then they "should" last 100k miles.
You are suppose to take them out and check them at every oil change.

the thread and hex on the spark plugs are made of stainless. the head is made of aluminum. I doubt that they will fuse to a point where you can't break them free.

BTW its best to screw the plugs back in when the engine is cold.
cold aluminum is less likely to strip threads, than when hot.

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
No. If your engine is unmodded, then they "should" last 100k miles.
You are suppose to take them out and check them at every oil change.
they are iridium plugs, stock. they don't wear like the copper one of old.

Your suppose to use anti seize when putting them in.

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
thats the best place to get the proper ATF.

if you're looking for a different one because the part store doesn't have it, you need to get one thats compatible with red 1k ATF.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I checked the owners manual and there does not seem to be a scheduled oil replace at all. You are to simply inspect it.... I just don't see why one would need to replace the trans fluid until 100K or more.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts