Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,553 Posts
In my case, I did not drain it.
I did an engine swap. When you remove the torque converter, you remove some ATF.

I just topped off mine.

If you remove the engine, or do anything that disconnects the transcooler/radiator (there is a transcooler built into the radiator, in addition to the supplemental external transcooler) lines, you need to top it off.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,893 Posts
Time resurrect this old thread. Delving into this a bit deeper on the 5AT there is a drain plug on the pan and "sealed" appears to mean no long fill tube with a dip stick. There is a fill plug and overflow plug so you use a long fill funnel. There does not appear to be a filter in the transmission, but a filter screen. This screen looks to be up in the valve body. :ugh: There is also a magnet in the pan.

My plan is around 60k miles or before to drain the fluid from the pan, remove the pan and clean it. If the screen is accessible I will clean that too. I will button it up and top-off the fluid. The total amount is 10 liters but that is only if you drain the torque converter and I am not sure this is done like the old American cars were you bumped the engine until the plug was exposed through a window and you removed that. My refill will likely be maybe 4 to 6 liters. This should certain extend the life. My fear is if I let this go to 100k miles I am looking at a failure soon after that.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience yet? So far no problems with my transmission and I would like to keep it that way.

N.B. I will also change the rear differential fluid at about the same time. That will be cake.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Time resurrect this old thread. Delving into this a bit deeper on the 5AT there is a drain plug on the pan and "sealed" appears to mean no long fill tube with a dip stick. There is a fill plug and overflow plug so you use a long fill funnel. There does not appear to be a filter in the transmission, but a filter screen. This screen looks to be up in the valve body. :ugh: There is also a magnet in the pan.

My plan is around 60k miles or before to drain the fluid from the pan, remove the pan and clean it. If the screen is accessible I will clean that too. I will button it up and top-off the fluid. The total amount is 10 liters but that is only if you drain the torque converter and I am not sure this is done like the old American cars were you bumped the engine until the plug was exposed through a window and you removed that. My refill will likely be maybe 4 to 6 liters. This should certain extend the life. My fear is if I let this go to 100k miles I am looking at a failure soon after that.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience yet? So far no problems with my transmission and I would like to keep it that way.

N.B. I will also change the rear differential fluid at about the same time. That will be cake.
I've only got 27k on mine...I will be changiing the fluid once Synapse finishes up the Evo X turbo kit and I can get it on my car.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,893 Posts
Thanks AKGC (your avatar rocks...). I have been on that site and other parts sites to figure some of this out and where to get the parts like the pan gasket. The only two questions I have not answered are is the filter screen accessible and how much fluid will I need to buy if I do not / cannot drain the torque converter?

Perhaps nooomoto can enlighten us soon.

·
Premium Member
15,553 Posts
With how the engine's oil pan is, I would guess that they used RTV for the transmission pan as well.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,893 Posts
The drawings and parts list confirm a pan gasket. I am OK with RTV, but gaskets are usually easier to deal with.

·
87 Posts
Just saw that Redline D4 ATF should also work for the 2.0T A/T.
Sorry to revive this thread, but Grail1505 said that Redline D4 ATF should work also for our 2.0T A/T, is this true?

·
Premium Member
15,553 Posts
"should" and "actually" are 2 different things.

No, it's not made to work with our transmissions.
It's made for SP2/SP3

ours uses Apolloil Red-1k or ones that match with it.

And the transmission is NOT the same one in the 350z. It's the EXACT same one in the kia sarento. Just in case other people start saying their fluids are interchangeable.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
German trans, german fluid

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Does the 8-speed in the 2013 use this same fluid?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Does the 8-speed in the 2013 use this same fluid?
Here's the ATF for the Genesis Coupe...everything.

2010-12 2.0 5 speed A/T: Red 1 ATF (Hyundai P/N 00232-19024, list price $10.87/quart)
2010-12 3.8 6-speed A/T: Shell M-1375.4 (Hyundai P/N 00232-19015, list price $76.90/liter)
2013 8-speed A/T: ATF SP-IV-RR (Hyundai P/N 00232-19052, list price $17.89/quart)

·
Advenio Pariter
3,893 Posts

2010-12 2.0 5 speed A/T: Red 1 ATF (Hyundai P/N 00232-19015, list price $10.87/quart)
2010-12 3.8 6-speed A/T: Shell M-1375.4 (Hyundai P/N 00232-19015, list price $76.90/liter)
2013 8-speed A/T: ATF SP-IV-RR (Hyundai P/N 00232-19052, list price $17.89/quart)
Muchas gracias!

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,966 Posts
The Synthetic Dexron VI Specifications for a BMW Shell M 1375.4

Read more: The Synthetic Dexron VI Specifications for a BMW Shell M 1375.4 | eHow

According to the australian petrolium institute: Key To Lubricants their ASP15 classification includes the following fluids:

-Ford Specification No. M2C 919D

-Mercon SP Fluid Part No. XT-6QSP

-Shell ATF M-1375.4

-ZF 6-speed Automatic Transmission Fluid, (Shell M-1375.4)

Mercon SP Fluid is a newer transmission fluid made by shell for Ford dealers. Its easy to find online, and it retails for around $4:00+/quart. Things get really interesting when you look at the specs of lifeguard 6 found in the MSDS:

http://www.tsgparts.net/images/pdf/Lifeguardfluid6.pdf and compare them to the specs of Mercon SP:
You can get the lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 fluid for $4.68/quart here: Fleet Products |Truck Parts, Repair Tools, Safety Products

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ZFLifegaurd6=Ford Mercon SP) [Archive] - AudiWorld Forums

·
Premium Member
15,553 Posts
The Synthetic Dexron VI Specifications for a BMW Shell M 1375.4

Read more: The Synthetic Dexron VI Specifications for a BMW Shell M 1375.4 | eHow

According to the australian petrolium institute: Key To Lubricants their ASP15 classification includes the following fluids:

-Ford Specification No. M2C 919D

-Mercon SP Fluid Part No. XT-6QSP

-Shell ATF M-1375.4

-ZF 6-speed Automatic Transmission Fluid, (Shell M-1375.4)

Mercon SP Fluid is a newer transmission fluid made by shell for Ford dealers. Its easy to find online, and it retails for around $4:00+/quart. Things get really interesting when you look at the specs of lifeguard 6 found in the MSDS:

http://www.tsgparts.net/images/pdf/Lifeguardfluid6.pdf and compare them to the specs of Mercon SP:
You can get the lifeguard6/Shell M-1375.4 fluid for $4.68/quart here: Fleet Products |Truck Parts, Repair Tools, Safety Products

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ZFLifegaurd6=Ford Mercon SP) [Archive] - AudiWorld Forums
This thread is not in the 3.8 forum.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

2010-12 2.0 5 speed A/T: Red 1 ATF (Hyundai P/N 00232-19015, list price $10.87/quart)
The one I bolded above is wrong. The part number is the same as the 3.8. The correct part number is 00232-19024.

·
KDMKID
188 Posts
In my case, I did not drain it.
I did an engine swap. When you remove the torque converter, you remove some ATF.

I just topped off mine.

If you remove the engine, or do anything that disconnects the transcooler/radiator (there is a transcooler built into the radiator, in addition to the supplemental external transcooler) lines, you need to top it off.
How much ATF did you have to get to top it off? I pulled my motor and my torque converter took a poop every where.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts