Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Advenio Pariter
3,894 Posts
I have not taken a look yet, but from the drawings I would think a long filler with a narrow end would work. My concern would be to use a metal one since it is going to be in the proximity of the turbo. I refilled my wife's Honda transmission using a plastic filler tube. You might be breaking some new ground here. Keep us posted. I have about 20k miles before I drain and fill my fluid.

·
KDMKID
188 Posts
Is the MT sealed just like the AT? I thought the overflow was on the side and the fill was around the top.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
You can get a pump for like $20 at an auto parts store. It's what I used when I flushed mine last year. One hose goes in the bottle and one goes into the fill hole. Pump til the bottle's empty and switch to new one . . . simple.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,894 Posts
Is the MT sealed just like the AT? I thought the overflow was on the side and the fill was around the top.
If I remember correctly, the fill side is on the passenger side and the overflow is on the driver's side. Something like that.

I like the idea of using a pump. That way I could top it off while the car is up on jack stands. I get stuck in the mindset of filling from the engine bay since I have always done it that way. Age....

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Also, I just found out that Amsoil's Signature Series and OE Multi Vehicle ATF are compatible. If you check the product application guide in Amsoil's website, it will not mention for the Genesis Coupe but if you look at the product spec itself where it applies to Kia's ATF Red 1, Hyundai uses the same fluid as Kia.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,894 Posts
I am probably still going to use the fluid from the dealer. Even with my wife's Honda (now my daughter's as my wife just bought an Elantra GT) I would buy the OEM fluid for the fluid changes. Automatics can be very tricky in my view. Maybe I am wrong. I still have almost 20k miles to go before I have to change my fluid so I hope others comment in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I am probably still going to use the fluid from the dealer. Even with my wife's Honda (now my daughter's as my wife just bought an Elantra GT) I would buy the OEM fluid for the fluid changes. Automatics can be very tricky in my view. Maybe I am wrong. I still have almost 20k miles to go before I have to change my fluid so I hope others comment in the meantime.
Usually folks say to change the fluid at 100,000 miles but that seems to be a bit long. I'm going to change mine at 80,000. I have about 78,000 miles in my car and I have about 2,000 miles left and then it's time for a change. I will give feedback when I change to the Amsoil Signature Series one.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,894 Posts
I typically change every 60k miles. Our Honda runs like a top, but both times I changed the transmission fluid it NEEDED it and I could feel the difference afterwards. Honda specifies no change interval either. My differential fluid will be changed too. By all means, please post your results like what the fluid looked and smelled like and how the transmission felt after the change.

·
"Bloody Nora!"
104 Posts
So it's been a while since the last post but I was wondering if anyone has tried either ATF fluid and has any good/bad feedback?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The one fluid that I have not seen listed here is the Type-J. Out 5AT is a Jatco. Yes, as in Nissan. I get the Type-J at Napa and it cost about $5.00 a quart. I have just under 165,000 on mine and recommend the 60,000 mile drain and fill.

·
Premium Member
15,557 Posts
The one fluid that I have not seen listed here is the Type-J. Out 5AT is a Jatco. Yes, as in Nissan. I get the Type-J at Napa and it cost about $5.00 a quart. I have just under 165,000 on mine and recommend the 60,000 mile drain and fill.
Caused mine to shift all loosey goosey. it works, just not ideal.
Euro hyundai forums say that it's an alternative that "can" be used to replace the RED-1k, but it's not made for it.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts