Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NOOB
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested in buying and have some questions:

What's the difference between Turbonetics 6465, Precision 6266, and Gen 2 Precision 6266? Which one is best for me who aspires to use the car only as a DDer?

What's the difference between the base wrap kit, and the upgraded wrap kit?

Is it true that BB spools 10-15% sooner than JB?

Are the forged internals "worth it", or only worth it if I want to exceed 6-7psi of the stock wastegate?

How's the longterm reliability at 7psi?

Are any of the peripheral upgrades worth it, like the hot side or intercooler coatings? //Edit: I see now this is just cosmetic. I can do this in my oven for less money.

Any non-obvious things I need to know?

Could this be combined with a stroker kit down the road? (is that a dumb idea?)

My ultimate goal is to have a powerful daily driver. I don't want to track or race. I want it to be reliable. I don't aspire to have a rebuilt-from-the-ground-up engine, but something in the 500-600HP range that I could do with myself and some friends.

I understand these are noob questions for someone considering a turbo upgrade, but you have to start somewhere. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
NOOB
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Vendor
1,508 Posts
What's the difference between Turbonetics 6465, Precision 6266, and Gen 2 Precision 6266? Which one is best for me who aspires to use the car only as a DDer? The 6465, 6266 both flow similar, we DYNO'd both turbos and there were within a few HP of each other at the same boost level. The BB upgrades do help with spool as well as transient response, meaning off and back on the throttle boost threshhold. The Gen2 has more advanced aerodynamics on the compressor wheel which allow it to flow more air. If you even plan to build and go for more boost the Gen2 would be the way to go.

What's the difference between the base wrap kit, and the upgraded wrap kit? The base wrap kit is included, it gives a turbo blanket, some header wrap for the uppipe and downpipe and thermal tape for components around the turbo. The upgrade is a custom fitting blanket for the uppipe, downpipe and the charge pipe that goes over the top of the turbo. https://www.turbokits.com/Hyundai/Genesis/Turbo_Kits/Turbo_Kit_Heat_Wrap_Upgrade/5328/

Is it true that BB spools 10-15% sooner than JB? Yes - https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/journal_bearings_vs_ball_bearings

Are the forged internals "worth it", or only worth it if I want to exceed 6-7psi of the stock wastegate? - If you want to eventually turn up the boost, a 6-7 PSI kit with water meth as a safety precaution can be reliable.

How's the longterm reliability at 7psi? ^^

Are any of the peripheral upgrades worth it, like the hot side or intercooler coatings? //Edit: I see now this is just cosmetic. I can do this in my oven for less money. The intercooler coating is a BBE coating and can increase the thermal efficieny of the intercooler according to Swain. The intercooler piping coating is for the stealth look. The thermal coating on the Uppipe, Downpipe & Turbine housing 100% serves the function of keeping things cooler around the turbo as well as keeping the heat in the pipes to spool the turbo. Turbo spool with exhaust heat and load mostly, not so much the revs of the motor. Plus the thermal coating protects the metal and looks great!

Any non-obvious things I need to know? Oil change interval should be 3K with a turbo, you'll want gauges to monitor air fuel and boost.

Could this be combined with a stroker kit down the road? (is that a dumb idea?) - Yes, I would suggest the 6266Gen2 or even the 6466 Gen2 if you went with a stroker.

Thanks for your interest, let me know if you have any further questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts