Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0t 8 Speed Auto Transmission
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

What’s your thoughts on letting a turbo charged engine cool down for 2-3 minutes before shutting the engine down? I was told by many to let it cool down for a few minutes before turning it off to help preserve the turbo life. I was also told that was more of a thing for 80s-90s turbos and not modern (turbo) cars? What would be your thoughts and opinions on it? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16,470 Posts
Good afternoon everyone,

What’s your thoughts on letting a turbo charged engine cool down for 2-3 minutes before shutting the engine down? I was told by many to let it cool down for a few minutes before turning it off to help preserve the turbo life. I was also told that was more of a thing for 80s-90s turbos and not modern (turbo) cars? What would be your thoughts and opinions on it? Thank you!
The turbo is water cooled. meaning coolant runs through it. There isn't really a need.
Turbos that need time to cool down are turbos that are not water cooled on a gasoline engine.
Now a days, none water cooled turbos are one used on diesel engines, because diesel exhaust is much cooler than gasoline exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turbo is water cooled. meaning coolant runs through it. There isn't really a need.
Turbos that need time to cool down are turbos that are not water cooled on a gasoline engine.
Now a days, none water cooled turbos are one used on diesel engines, because diesel exhaust is much cooler than gasoline exhaust.
Thank you for the knowledge! I wasn’t too sure on it and figured it was a wise tale haha. I mean that definitely makes sense then. Also Is the 2.0T ball bearing or non ball bearing?

·
Advenio Pariter
4,035 Posts
If you have been driving hard a cool-down is a good idea. As @AKGC said for normal driving you are probably fine. My Veloster N has a small water pump that runs after I shut the car off. It is to circulate water for a minute or two after I shut it off. I recall this did not happen much in the winter, so it is temperature dependent. I believe our turbos have sleeve bearings. That is not a bad thing since they are lubricated with engine oil. Please somebody weigh-in on that to confirm.

Reactions: xSilverSurferx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have been driving hard a cool-down is a good idea. As @AKGC said for normal driving you are probably fine. My Veloster N has a small water pump that runs after I shut the car off. It is to circulate water for a minute or two after I shut it off. I recall this did not happen much in the winter, so it is temperature dependent. I believe our turbos have sleeve bearings. That is not a bad thing since they are lubricated with engine oil. Please somebody weigh-in on that to confirm.
I will keep that in mind then, thank you! How is that veloster N treating you? I love those cars too.

·
Premium Member
16,470 Posts
Thank you for the knowledge! I wasn’t too sure on it and figured it was a wise tale haha. I mean that definitely makes sense then. Also Is the 2.0T ball bearing or non ball bearing?
It's none ball bearing

Ball bearing turbos are great and all, but are not serviceable and cost a hellava lot more, last i recall.

And what kills the bearing in the turbo because of heat, is the oil buring up and turning into carbon (think of it like sand)
It will over wear the brass/bronze bearings or build up to the point of seizing.

With that... at what point does water boil?
Point being the temp range between water boiling and oil buring is a really wide range.

In short, your engine would be over heating long before the turbo would burn oil... normally

Turbos do wear over time too.

·
Advenio Pariter
4,035 Posts
I will keep that in mind then, thank you! How is that veloster N treating you? I love those cars too.
I miss my Coupe, but it felt like a boulevard cruiser in comparison to my VN. I was very hesitant about even looking at the VN since it was driving the wrong wheels. There were no BRZ/86 cars within a days drive to even look at. Once the car is moving it does not feel like FWD. A friend of mine with a 1992 NSX almost went off the road with it. The e-LSD pulls you into corners and allows the back-end to push out. Strange but fun. He was expecting understeer. I call it my rolling amusement park ride. It is stupidly fun to drive and the drive modes really do make a huge difference. I love the rev matching too. Downshifts without any effort and the whole time the car is barking and farting if I have the turbo anti-lag feature on. I look forward to driving it anywhere...but the more curves the better. I have been into triple digits more times than I recall.

It is not confirmed, but the Veloster is out of production for 2023. It is being killed. The rumor is that it is being replaced by the RM20. That is a two-door Veloster with a rear-mid engine (behind the driver), RWD and between 330 to 350 HP. Of course a two-seater and the rumored price will be around $40k....if you can find one and expect a mark-up. We shall see, but my wife already green-lighted it just in case.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,989 Posts
The way the Gen coupe 2L is plumbed, when the engine is off the coolant will reverse flow and natural heat convection flow go up from the water pump (coldest) through the turbo and to the back of the head (hottest).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts