Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coupe Initial Build Quality Exerperiences?

Hey Everone,

Just took ownership of a Genesis Coupe 3.8, super pleased with the car - it is exactly what I was looking for. It really gives me that feeling I had back many cars ago with my Datsun 260Z, the Genesis feels like a modern day version of it. A car you can affectionately own, has some personality, and is actually fun. Awesome car.

However, my initial few weeks of ownership have unfortunately had a steady stream of issues...

- Before even taking delivery the automatic transmission was faulty and had to be replaced
- It has gone in for loud and consistent panel squeak issues a couple times
- Front windshield / forward part of dash makes creaking sounds over bumps
- Had break sensor fixed
- Is in shop today to replace leaking break lines

While Hyundai has been very attentive at dealing with the issues, I am unimpressed with the quality assurance of the car. I am hoping after this it starts to settle down and the worst is over.

What is everyone else's experience with initial quality in the first few weeks of ownership? Lots of little fixes? Big ones? No problems? The dealer says this is rare, I'd be interested in your opinions. Thanks everyone!

·
oh hayyy
995 Posts
Seems like you just got a bad apple. It happens.

As far as creaks and stuff, I can't say much about that. My neighbor has an AMG Mercedes that he bought 2 weeks ago and it creaks. So I don't concern myself over that.

As least everything is being replaced for you now, for free. Its inconvenient but free.

Welcome to the family, and I promise your experiences will get better! :hello:

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I have the front windshield creek/pop when going over bumps. But other than than no real issues thus far after a year of ownership. Congrats on your purchase, but sorry to hear about so many issues so early on.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
Creaks seem to be commonplace with the 2010 models. So far in my 2011, I haven't really heard of any creaks or squeaks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
early 2010 models had a creak issue on the right quarter panel.
my dash also creaks over bumpy roads but so does my brother's IS350 :dunno: his interior creaks all over when it is too cold / hot probably because there are zero gaps in his interior and the fit and finish is perfect :rofl:

I do agree that the initial build quality on the GC is lower compared to other Hyundai models. I associate low volume vehicles = lower initial quality.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Panel alignment seems to be a huge problem from the factory. I had to have mine all adjusted by the dealer, since they were so far off in some cases. Looking at many other GC's on the dealer lots, they all had the same problems (not so even when I looked at the Elantra).

Other than that, I think you are going to have a host of little issues just like any new car (I bought my G35 Coupe in the second year of production, and it had so many little issues like the GC...as did my IS250 - although the panel issue was not a problem in the IS).

Give the GC a few years, and things will start to get better.

Good luck, and remember, that's what your great warranty is for!! :)

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
As dumb as this sounds - it could be the little Korean isn't use to the climate. It's been pretty cold for any car - for the most part my 2.0T is fine except the odd electronic glitch when it dips below -20.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
As dumb as this sounds - it could be the little Korean isn't use to the climate. It's been pretty cold for any car - for the most part my 2.0T is fine except the odd electronic glitch when it dips below -20.
+1 on the cold.

Not sure how cold Korea gets since I haven't visited for the past 10 years but..

when my exterior temp was reading -5, the rear speakers were non-functional, half the buttons on my radio didn't work and my cig lighter jack wasn't supplying power to my gps unit... :wtc:

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Both of the coupes we have came with loose bolts, poorly aligned body panels, etc and their build dates are like 10 months apart. The GC DEFINITELY DOES NOT get the same QC the Sonata and Elantra get from the Alabama plant. IIRC the GC is actually built in a plant in Korean that used to build trucks, which IMO, have a lot more room for error since they'll be getting beat to hell most likely.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Both of the coupes we have came with loose bolts, poorly aligned body panels, etc and their build dates are like 10 months apart. The GC DEFINITELY DOES NOT get the same QC the Sonata and Elantra get from the Alabama plant. IIRC the GC is actually built in a plant in Korean that used to build trucks, which IMO, have a lot more room for error since they'll be getting beat to hell most likely.
Yeah, I agree. I beleive that the Q&A at both U.S plants is better than the Korean plant the GenCoupes are made at.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had the windshield/dashboard creeking noise. All you have to do is stick a small strip of rubber in between th dash and the pillar bar. Its the pillar bar making contact with the windshield when going over bumps. Fixed the problem for me.

Serioulsy, id say like 90% of the creeks and rattles people complain about(not saying that you are) can be fixed yourself. No need to bring it in. Dealers are usually d bags when it comes to fixing stuff like this anyways. Some people get mad because its making sound in the first place but its a free fix and takes like 20 seconds to do.

·
Former GenesisCoupe Owner
856 Posts
I have one of the very first Genesis Coupes, and I have never had any real problems. :) It is almost two years old now, and still looks brand new. :)

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Actually South Korea has a similar climate to Canada, while we average -16c for a low, they average -10c.
South Korea's climate would be comparible to living along either coast or along the Great Lakes and averages more annual rainfall and frost than Canada. It's probably why in recent years there have been a higher number of South Korean immigrants to BC.

The simple answer is, it's a first year car. Buy brand new and you're going to have issues. At least our engines arn't exploding like the Nissan Juke's.

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
Hey Everone,

Just took ownership of a Genesis Coupe 3.8, super pleased with the car - it is exactly what I was looking for. It really gives me that feeling I had back many cars ago with my Datsun 260Z, the Genesis feels like a modern day version of it. A car you can affectionately own, has some personality, and is actually fun. Awesome car.

However, my initial few weeks of ownership have unfortunately had a steady stream of issues...

- Before even taking delivery the automatic transmission was faulty and had to be replaced
- It has gone in for loud and consistent panel squeak issues a couple times
- Front windshield / forward part of dash makes creaking sounds over bumps
- Had break sensor fixed
- Is in shop today to replace leaking break lines

While Hyundai has been very attentive at dealing with the issues, I am unimpressed with the quality assurance of the car. I am hoping after this it starts to settle down and the worst is over.

What is everyone else's experience with initial quality in the first few weeks of ownership? Lots of little fixes? Big ones? No problems? The dealer says this is rare, I'd be interested in your opinions. Thanks everyone!
I wouldn't say that its a modern day version of the S30.
It's a lot more solid lol.

Sometimes I wish I didn't sold my Z :p, but the way it was, it was pretty much a coffin on wheels lol. too much torque for the chassis.

·
BOMB TECH
182 Posts
while we are talking about squeaks and creaks i have a rattle from 2800ish thur 3000 RPM. sounds like its coming from where the dash meets the windshield. any ideas??

·
4th color - 4th wheels
8,829 Posts
I have been on other forums with different 'preferred' sports cars and they have the same issues. Seems you got a bad one. Really sorry to hear. Sometimes it depends on how picky the person is. I haven't really had any issues, just one major one that got fixed immediately... my other two coupes have been fine..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to add a data point, I've had my 2011 for almost two weeks and haven't noticed any issues yet. In fact it seems to be a very tightly put together car.

·
Miss Behave Ng
879 Posts
Aw man sorry to hear =( Hopefully the dealership can find out what's wrong with it..
I have the 2010. No problems so far. I do hear creaks and rattles, but I find that they pretty much happen when it gets really cold outside. Radio sounds a bit muffled when it gets too cold, but I guess those are normal things. No technical difficulties.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have driven every price range and model of new car practically. They all creak especially if they run on sporting suspension and stiff tires. Even tire air pressure and temps can make a huge difference. So unless you have a persistent and loud creak from the same spot quit worrying about that.

As far as initial build quality my first opinion was not good. I had body panel alignment issues and seemingly unfixable steering alignment issues. BUt now those issues are fixed and the car w/ 6K miles has been fantastic. I don't anticipate any additional problems but truthfully I typically have great luck w/ all of my vehicles reliability wise.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts