Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned Red 2016 R-Spec with 40k on it on September 9th 2019. I was offered the CPO warranty at the Hyundai Dealership when I purchased it and of course I opted in because it was only $700 more.

Flash forward to yesterday. I went outside to run an errand. Maybe a 10 min drive. I noticed when I started it I had some white smoke from the exhaust but I figured it could just be water as it has rained in ohio 3 days straight and temps were down to 25 degrees. I drove about half way there when I noticed my temp gauge was at normal operating temps but the vents were still blowing ice cold air. Worried it could be a coolant issue I pulled over and checked my overflow which was half way between F and L. I checked the temp gauge again and it said it was at normal operating temp. Not wanting to risk it I waited 30 min, checked the radiator which was full and drove it home.

Checked again this morning and no issue with coolant being low, radiator is full, ran it for 15 min with heat on high and front defroster on to ensure no air was trapped. drove to work and out of no where a quarter mile from my store temp gauge started to go up. Didnt hit the red, but it did get close. I pulled over and parked to see a pretty decent amount of smoke coming from the engine bay and a decent amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust.

90% sure I have a failing head gasket. Car still starts and hasn't seized thankfully but considering this is a certified preowned only 3 years old with 42k on it that head gasket should be covered right?

Also I purchased the vehicle from the dealer with a Mishimoto V6 radiator already installed and it has no leaks or issues and is at worst the same quality as the OEM, at best a significant improvement over the OEM parts so under the Magnussen-Moss Warrantty act they cant outright deny my claim for it being installed correct?

I mainly just dont wanna end up getting screwed here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Could really use some advice from somebody who has a little more insight in regards to this. 馃槥

Registered
I work sales at a Hyundai Dealership in Texas and my service department said that as long as the cause wasn't the radiator it should be covered. If the Head gasket is "failing" it has already failed. You are not going to loose anything by taking it to a dealer.

You are under 60,000 miles your car is still covered by the 5yr/ 60,000 mile new vehicle (bumper to bumper) warranty as well as the CPO which took the power train out to 10yr/ 100,000 miles. If you purchased the vehicle with the mishimoto radiator installed the selling dealer should have some kind of record of that as well.

It depends entirely on how the service department wants to handle it. Go in with a cool head and be nice about it, this will take you a long way. They may try and charge diagnosis to find out the root of the problem as well. I would start by telling them that it started overheating.

Can you take it to the dealer that you purchased it from? Or did you drive a long way to buy it?

2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
Pull the dipstick and see if there is a milky look to the oil. If there is, you have a bad head gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts