Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Rim Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Rim
Okay guys so I’ve got a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0t and I came to find out oil was being sent from the serpentine belt all over my engine bay. After some diagnosing I’m 93.675% sure it’s the main seal behind the timing cover. I decided I was going to take on the task because I can’t afford thousands at a mechanic. At this point I’ve got the bumper and bumper cover off, cooling fan, reservoir, and serpentine belt off. What is the best way to go about taking off the crankshaft pulley, and what pulleys do I need to take off to get to the timing cover? If anyone has some advice or can help walk me through the process please reply, thanks
Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Rim Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Rim

·
Premium Member
16,320 Posts
View attachment 77854 View attachment 77855 Okay guys so I’ve got a 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0t and I came to find out oil was being sent from the serpentine belt all over my engine bay. After some diagnosing I’m 93.675% sure it’s the main seal behind the timing cover. I decided I was going to take on the task because I can’t afford thousands at a mechanic. At this point I’ve got the bumper and bumper cover off, cooling fan, reservoir, and serpentine belt off. What is the best way to go about taking off the crankshaft pulley, and what pulleys do I need to take off to get to the timing cover? If anyone has some advice or can help walk me through the process please reply, thanks View attachment 77854 View attachment 77855
Front main seal is pressed into the front engine cover, not behind it.

Manual: stick it into gear and have the hand brake on. The break the crank bolt loose.

Automatic: take off the valve cover and use a spanner on the cam where it looks like it's meant to fit a spanner. The rotate the crank gentle until the spanner is binding against the head, then break the crank bolt loose.

Might have to use a hub puller to get the pulley off.
Take photos of the old seal BEFORE removing.
Pull out the old seal with a flat head screwdriver, be careful to not mess up the surfaces.

Look at photo of the old seal of orientation, then press in new seal and put everything back together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front main seal is pressed into the front engine cover, not behind it.

Manual: stick it into gear and have the hand brake on. The break the crank bolt loose.

Automatic: take off the valve cover and use a spanner on the cam where it looks like it's meant to fit a spanner. The rotate the crank gentle until the spanner is binding against the head, then break the crank bolt loose.

Might have to use a hub puller to get the pulley off.
Take photos of the old seal BEFORE removing.
Pull out the old seal with a flat head screwdriver, be careful to not mess up the surfaces.

Look at photo of the old seal of orientation, then press in new seal and put everything back together.
Welp the pulley moved under little to no pressure counter clockwise while in 6th gear all brakes on. Is this the end of the world ?

·
Premium Member
16,320 Posts
Welp the pulley moved under little to no pressure counter clockwise while in 6th gear all brakes on. Is this the end of the world ?
Nope, just means the clutch/pressure plate isn't enough to hold it.
Could try the automatic approach, or use and impact gun with it in gear to get it off. ( NEVER use an impact gun to install things, only remove things. unless its lug nuts)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, just means the clutch/pressure plate isn't enough to hold it.
Could try the automatic approach, or use and impact gun with it in gear to get it off. ( NEVER use an impact gun to install things, only remove things. unless its lug nuts)
Okay well I put my car back together for now and it’s running fine, I’m gonna borrow an impact tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate the advice hopefully everything goes well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts