Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 11' GC 3.8 AUTO , anyway - it has 11,000km on the mileage and only serviced twice , i just wanted to look at the engine today , and i noticed something so weird , the crank pulley is vibrating , its not moving in a aligned way , car is completely normal , no vibration , no issues , engine is completely stable , car pulls perfect just like the day i bought it .. no sounds no noises , i just saw that the pulley is rotating not straight , like going left and right left and right , its the 1st time i see such thing , Car is perfectly smooth , clean , not abused , its so normal , zero vibration , i just wanna know is it normally like this on the 3.8 ?

This is a pic from google , just saying which pulley exactly..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What i mean is that the pulley Wobbles when the car is on..

Like this on this video ,

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hmmmm thats NOT good homie.

The OEM crank pulley is also a harmonic damper so that means there is a layer of rubber sandwiched between the inner portion of the pulley (that bolts to the crank) and the outer portion (that rides the belt).

Generally over time and many many many many miles later, the harmonic dampening material can breakdown/fail which leaves the outer portion of the pulley all wobbly.

However, for such a young motor as yours, this is NOT typical.

Get the dealership to INSPECT IT IMMEDIATELY!
Neglecting this COULD lead to belt failure, increase main bearing wear on the crank, your crank pulley separating completely, etc. If that happens you loose your water pump, alternator, and a/c. With no water pump action and the motor running, it will overheat.

The crank pulley should never be wobbly. It's a sign of a worn or defective pulley, or somehow the crank pulley bolt isn't tight (really rare but possible. Factory torque specs is around 220 lbs.ft torque!)

Fact is, it NEEDS to be looked at and addressed ASAP!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer will fix the car on warranty right??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dealer will fix the car on warranty right??
Hell yes they should. As long as you didn't mess with the pulley. It's not complicated to replace.

I've swapped that exact pulley out with hand tools (really BIG hand tools) in the parking lot of my work about two weeks ago (actually twice, once to install a lightweight pulley and again to return back to stock -I changed my mind on the part-). Took me 15-20 minutes to do start to finish.

SO a dealership can knock that out quickly too. It falls in the 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty if you are the first owner of the car. 2nd owner's only get a 5 year 60,000 carry over warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright man ! Thanks a lot ! Will take it to the dealership ASAP !

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I checked my engine today and it has a little bit of play to it as well. Stock pullies as well, so I don't think my belt is loose, car only has 30K miles, who knows though.

·
never use only drop once!
2,746 Posts
hmmm I'll have to look into this. Really wish fluidampr would make a balancer for our engine :( If they did I'd get new pullies!

·
Registered
270 Posts
What do you mean, second owner only has 60,000 carry over warranty.. If the car has 100,000, it has 100,000.. No matter which owner it's on, no?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It matters homie. I bought my 2011 second hand at a Hyundai dealership. 2nd owner's only get the 5 year 60k bumper to bumper (drivetrain included) warranty and loose the 100k 10 yr powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see that you're right.. Sort of.
You're American and so that's how it works down there.. Here, in Canada the warranty is totally transferable until warranty maturity is achieved. Good to know.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts