Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed or know how the CREE H11 LED work for the Gen?

The look weird with that fan in the back not sure how they fit in the OEM hosusing.

They claim that they are an alternative to HID's and also that they fit to original lamp assembly,... but they look funky..

I know LED can be used for this application. I have some tactical flashlights that use LED and they have absurd candlepower. They also get insanely hot, so that is why I think they use that big ass fan in the back, to help cool the housing...

At least those are the ones they show in Ebay.. I'm new here so I cannot post links untill some 10 posts.

Does anyone has some info on these? Do they work as advertised?

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Considering that is actually my job, no don't use them.

the leds for headlights can not deliver the lumens regular bulbs or hids can.

It may look bright, but it will infact have terrible light output.

for reference, an actual set of LED headlights with have basically the entire back of the housing as a heatsink with fans, an "tuned" projectors to get the light output and shape to give you any visibility.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
I compliance test all kinds of products, but oems (all of them) are there often.

I've tested and seen about a dozen different LED headlights, and they need big heatsinks and lots of lenses to get the correct patters and lumens.

·
Timbit Biter
1,775 Posts
Gotcha! I love my Fenix TK75 led flashlight, but it definitely can't compare with HID.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theyre actually not LEDs. They use COB or Chip On Board that to what I.understand use a cluster of small diodes along with some more complicated electronics that together, they put out a high lumens light. They have like 4 or 5 of those in the lamp. I have seen LEDs on regular housings but youre right, those shine really bright, but cannot focus the light appropiately to be used as headlights. But that technology used by CREE intrigues me.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Theyre actually not LEDs. They use COB or Chip On Board that to what I.understand use a cluster of small diodes along with some more complicated electronics that together, they put out a high lumens light. They have like 4 or 5 of those in the lamp. I have seen LEDs on regular housings but youre right, those shine really bright, but cannot focus the light appropiately to be used as headlights. But that technology used by CREE intrigues me.
That is still an LED. Its a similar configuration to most high lumen LEDs, the only problem is the space constraints of these would never be able to get the lumens of even normal halogens.

Go take a look at the new Audi headlights for instance. Do you think they would make them look like that if they could have avoided it?
Cree leds are great for signal bulbs and whatnot, but i will never recommend them for headlights.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
DOT is really holding this back from becoming an LED revolution, new Panamera was supposed to utilize the new smart tech but DOT said no way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts