Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface: ideally, we would all have the budget to always buy name brand, proven performance. Sometimes, some of us have to budget build things that we can make reasonable compromises on.

I wanted to get rid of the stock box and vents because they took up so much space in the engine bay. However, I also didn't want a SRI because it would likely perform worse than the stock airbox. CAI's for the 3.8 BK2 are scarce and are likely not true cold air designs. I wanted something I could design cheaper than name brand, equal or improved performance from stock, and looked presentable. I think I achieved that.

I got everything from Summit Racing because it was the easiest outlet to piece together intake piping by size. Everything is 3.5" (same as stock intake hose)

Parts List:
5 summit branded couplers
11 x hose clamps
1 x 60° elbow
2 x 45° elbow
1 x 6" straight
1 x 4" straight
1 x 9" filter
1 x 17mm grommet (for IAT sensor mounting)

Unfortunately, I didn't take step by step pics as I didn't know how it would turn out.

Is that a NOS can for a catch can --> yes.
Have I ordered a real one --> yes.
Do I realize having a NOS can as a catch can emphasizes that I'm cheap --> sigh, but yes.
Do I also have a homemade engine leash --> caught that, did you?

Deleting the windshield washer reservoir is a necessity. I intend to find another mounting point for a smaller container but that's not an issue until the winter time when salt and snow will demand I even use it.

I removed the front fender linings a while ago after spacing the wheels and coilovers due to rubbing. However, cutting the front one just right made for a perfect water and road grime shield for the filter.

It took some fine adjustments, but it fits snugly in the access hole for the washer reservoir and rests against the back of the headlight and alongside the fog light assembly. The piping comes polished aluminum. I took one can of black, semi-gloss high temp with ceramic to prevent heat soak.

In the center straight portion, where the MAF would go on the BK1, I drilled a hole on the bottom (unpictured, secured a 17mm grommet) for the IAT sensor. It fits very snug with the O-ring on the sensor and the bolt wasn't necessary.

Lastly, I plan on drilling these out more (it's very tedious) but allowing more air through the front end for the filter resting behind the fog.

Parts totalled to 203$ after tax. Paint was an additional 20$ with clear coat. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but I'm very happy with the outcome. It's clean, and doesn't look custom built, IMO.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Looks great, good job. Made one for my 13 v6 five years ago before CAI existed for BK2 (currently only 3point8performance offers true CAI).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great, good job. Made one for my 13 v6 five years ago before CAI existed for BK2 (currently only 3point8performance offers true CAI).

Hell yea, man. Glad to see I'm not the first person to attempt to design one!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Drilling holes in the fog light is not really needed. Air comes in from the center grill opening and the gap between wheel splash shield and center splash shield.

Not sure why my pictures are only loading in landscape on this site.

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Premium Member
16,119 Posts
That's why the fender lining. Covers back and bottom of the filter.
Doesn't matter.
Many on here have hydrolocked their engines, with or without covers, liners ect.

You really want to take a chance on your assumption?

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
I've driven in water up to the bottom of the motor with the filter in that spot. The thing is when you enter deep water to not use the throttle much above idle.

Many ways to ruin a motor.

·
Registered
112 Posts
To preface: ideally, we would all have the budget to always buy name brand, proven performance. Sometimes, some of us have to budget build things that we can make reasonable compromises on.

I wanted to get rid of the stock box and vents because they took up so much space in the engine bay. However, I also didn't want a SRI because it would likely perform worse than the stock airbox. CAI's for the 3.8 BK2 are scarce and are likely not true cold air designs. I wanted something I could design cheaper than name brand, equal or improved performance from stock, and looked presentable. I think I achieved that.

I got everything from Summit Racing because it was the easiest outlet to piece together intake piping by size. Everything is 3.5" (same as stock intake hose)

Parts List:
11 x hose clamps
1 x 60° elbow
2 x 45° elbow
1 x 6" straight
1 x 4" straight
1 x 9" filter

Unfortunately, I didn't take step by step pics as I didn't know how it would turn out.

View attachment 77517

Do I realize having a NOS can as a catch can emphasizes that I'm cheap --> sigh, but yes.

View attachment 77518

Deleting the windshield washer reservoir is a necessity. I intend to find another mounting point for a smaller container but that's not an issue until the winter time when salt and snow will demand I even use it.

View attachment 77519

I removed the front fender linings a while ago after spacing the wheels and coilovers due to rubbing. However, cutting the front one just right made for a perfect water and road grime shield for the filter.

It took some fine adjustments, but it fits snugly in the access hole for the washer reservoir and rests against the back of the headlight and alongside the fog light assembly. The piping comes polished aluminum. I took one can of black, semi-gloss high temp with ceramic to prevent heat soak.

In the center straight portion, where the MAF would go on the BK1, I drilled a hole on the bottom (unpictured, secured a 17mm grommet) for the IAT sensor. It fits very snug with the O-ring on the sensor and the bolt wasn't necessary.

View attachment 77520

Lastly, I plan on drilling these out more (it's very tedious) but allowing more air through the front end for the filter resting behind the fog.

Parts totalled to 203$ after tax. Paint was an additional 20$ with clear coat. I don't think I'm forgetting anything, but I'm very happy with the outcome. It's clean, and doesn't look custom built, IMO.
Great job! I too made my own engine leash! LOL
IMG_3169.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't matter.
Many on here have hydrolocked their engines, with or without covers, liners ect.

You really want to take a chance on your assumption?
I appreciate the warning. But as long as i'm not driving through deep standing water (especially under load) the risk is acceptable for the benefits. Less an assumption, and more based on experience.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Bought a BK1 injen true CAI and adapted it. Got it on sale with 12% off that with another code. Ended up paying $245.00 shipped.
Would have been fun to build my own.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Parts List:
11 x hose clamps
1 x 60° elbow
2 x 45° elbow
1 x 6" straight
1 x 4" straight
1 x 9" filter

View attachment 77517

View attachment 77518

View attachment 77519

View attachment 77520

Made one myself not too long ago for much less and I had an aluminum welder weld on the IAT sensor plate and tube. No need to drill holes in the plastic shield next to fog light. You can un-bolt and it pops right out. Just take a close look from the back end when the bumper is removed.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Parts List:
11 x hose clamps
1 x 60° elbow
2 x 45° elbow
1 x 6" straight
1 x 4" straight
1 x 9" filter

View attachment 77517

View attachment 77518

View attachment 77519

View attachment 77520

This is what mine looked liked after I was done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts