Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to make my exhaust true dual exhaust. Don't feel like buying a $1000+ system. Is it possible to set up a custom x pipe with cats and resonators no muffler? Would there be any loss to performance? Or other negative effects on the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive been wanting to make my exhaust true dual exhaust. Don't feel like buying a $1000+ system. Is it possible to set up a custom x pipe with cats and resonators no muffler? Would there be any loss to performance? Or other negative effects on the car?

I went to a performance exhaust shop and told them I wanted as much of a true dual as possible and that I wanted three inch stainless from the turbo back and they just built me one for 400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Yeah I know it would come out way cheaper but I'm unsure if it would have a detrimental effect on the performance. I have a 2016 3.8 btw

·
Registered
13 Posts
I mean it could or could not. I basically told them to give me a good custom system that sounds good and won't hurt the performance. I also drove two hours to go to the shop I wanted cuz they specialize in that kind of thing. So it's really depending on if u have a reputable shop around u also.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is totally possible and not difficult to do. It won't harm performance at all as long as you keep all four catalytic converters. Do that and you won't lose mid-range torque like guys who cut their cats out, but you will gain a nice bit of high-rpm horsepower from the less-restrictive straight-pipes.

Basically, the front portion of the exhaust system you want is going to look a lot like the custom mid-pipe we built for Project Hoondy:

The X-pipe bolts right up to the secondary OEM cats. You want to get the X-pipe as close to the exhaust manifolds as you can for better performance. We have ours about as close as you can get without removing the cats:

The exhaust system you want will look a lot like that, but there will be no big muffler at the back. If you're going to run without a muffler then you'll want to find the biggest resonators you can get. Vibrant makes a longer 18 inch version of the 12 inch bottle resonators we used on Project Hoondy. Those would work great for you. Alternatively, you could stick a pair of Vibrant's Ultra Quiet resonators at the back of the exhaust system where the mufflers would normally go. Vibrant Ultra Quiets have a great tone, if I was building a no-muffler exhaust system they are definitely what I would use. You would get that raw, badass straight-pipe sound with way less rasp/drone than a true straight-pipe:

If you need a good X-pipe then have a look at SpinTech exhaust. They make their X-pipes to order so you can have it built to custom dimensions at no extra charge. That will make your exhaust fabricator's life a lot easier, which will save you money on labor and ensure maximum performance.

Either way, if you keep the cats then you can straight-pipe the whole rest of the exhaust system without reducing performance at all.

I also drove two hours to go to the shop I wanted cuz they specialize in that kind of thing. So it's really depending on if u have a reputable shop around u also.
Sketch is on the money here. It is worth going to the trouble to get your car to a quality exhaust fabricator. It will save you a lot of time/headache and you'll end up with a better product in the end. This goes double if you want a stainless exhaust system. Building a good stainless exhaust system requires special cutting tools and precise, fully back-purged TIG welding. Your average muffler shop is just not equipped to deal with that.

Find a good fabricator and you can hardly go wrong. Tell them you don't want to hurt the car's performance and they'll make sure that doesn't happen. It's exhaust, not rocket surgery.

Happy tuning!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I understand you correctly
The exhaust would look something like this?

OEM Cat - \ / - cat - resonator - tip
X pipe
OEM cat - /. \ - cat - resonator - tip

Would I need to tune my car after this or nah?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Tuning would help you take better advantage of the power gains, but is not necessary.

I think I understand your diagram and it looks right to me. You're essentially building a cat-back exhaust with no muffler. You will un-bolt the stock exhaust from the secondary cats and build from there. You can pretty much ignore the cats altogether since you aren't modifying them at all. It'll just be the X-pipe up front right behind the cats, then resonators, then exhaust tips. Super duper simple.

You could always just show those pictures I posted to your exhaust guy and say "build this, but without a muffler." That'll get you what you want.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
https://youtu.be/oMFsjRT2JlE

For this one I used a dual xpipe muffler... And thats it..... And 2-1/4" piping...No where as nice as the one above, that is a work of art. But affordable and simple. Desc. In the video. You can hear it about 35 seconds into the video lol... It is pretty wicked ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys I got the x pipe installed and no muffler no resonator. I have to say the drone is significantly reduced its amazing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow, nice. I always considered the X-pipe more of a performance-oriented upgrade than something meant to cut out drone. Good to know it helps out with that even when there are no resonators installed.

Now you must post AN VIDEO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try and get some footage soon.
One thing I have noticed is that it's not as raspy as before which kind of bothers me

·
Registered
325 Posts
A good set of resonators will definitely deepen the sound. Go back to that video I posted of the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators on that Honda. They cut out all that high-pitched buzzing noise and replace it with a deep, muscular tone which, if you ask me, sounds great on just about any engine platform.

2.5 inch piping is a little over-sized for a naturally aspirated Genesis Coupe V6. 2.25 inch piping would be the "correct" size for maximum exhaust gas velocity at power levels below 380 horsepower or so.

It's not a big deal though. Your 2.5 inch pipe will simply result in slightly slower exhaust gas velocity which means you're giving up a bit of low-RPM power. I doubt you could even feel the difference in grunt from the driver's seat.

Work on that video! More Genesis Coupe owners need to see how badass custom exhaust can be. I think too many owners are buying plain-Jane off-the-shelf exhaust kits when there are so many opportunities to go custom. Glad you stuck with it and ended up with a unique exhaust system of your own.

Happy tuning!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after a month or so with my custom exhaust I have made a list of pros and cons

Pros: it's LOUD, sounds like a race car when ur on the high way, overall driving has been more exciting
Cons: it's LOUD, there's almost no backfire now so if you like the snap crackle pop I wouldn't suggest getting an X-Pipe. I do miss it to be honest.

I plan to add some resonators to make it sound a deeper in a month or so

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered 2 SLP Loudmouth Bullet Resonators as well as some duo quad exhaust tips. I was wondering where I should place the resonators, close to the X Pipe or closer to the tips?

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
I'm still shocked more of you budget conscious guys aren't doing singles. I spent a good deal on my custom fabbed setup, but most of the price was in the one-off tips, unnecessary one-off scrubble packed resonator, and complicated rear Y splitter assembly. It's just a front Y collector to a single 3" pipe and resonator. Saves a bunch of weight, and if you don't take it to a fancy race fabrication shop like my dumbass did, saves money too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My exhaust cost me well under what some of these venders sell for. And that's because at first I wasn't sure why I wanted.

1st got a muffler Delete for $125
2nd got an X pipe (removed Resonator) for $275
3rd I bought 2 SLP loud mouth resonators at $143
4th $75 for labor to install said resonators
And then finally $125 for quad exhaust tips

Total came out at $743

For reference the Ark Exhaust goes for $2000+

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
My exhaust cost me well under what some of these venders sell for. And that's because at first I wasn't sure why I wanted.

...Total came out at $743

For reference the Ark Exhaust goes for $2000+
Hey, I gotta admit, $750 for custom accidental success is pretty damned good. My first twin tip single which annoyingly sounded even better than my current setup, ran $425 including the modifications to my bumper. Definitely was a crappy set of tips, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts