Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 3.8 and I was wondering if it would be bad for the car if I switched back to the stock air box. I have a SRI but I feel like the stock air box would just be better. Would it hurt the car or restrict it in any way if I switch back? Would I notice a difference? Should I keep the SRI or just switch back?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Stock airbox with KN filter is bette then SRI

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You will gain power by switching from SRI to stock with KN filter....for two reasons:

SRI draws in hot air that has less oxygen due to air density, compared to stock which is more of CAI.

SRI has wrong tube sizing which lowers air velocity - loss on power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will gain power by switching from SRI to stock with KN filter....for two reasons:

SRI draws in hot air that has less oxygen due to air density, compared to stock which is more of CAI.

SRI has wrong tube sizing which lowers air velocity - loss on power.

Just so there’s no misunderstanding. Hot air being fed into the intake system doesn’t have “less” oxygen. Warmer air is going to be thinner or less dense than colder air. Atmospheric air is 78% Nitrogen and ~25% oxygen. Colder air is going to allow for a lot more air (oxygen) within the volume sq of cubic space (Intake System).

If you’re going to install or design a custom air intake system be sure your pipe or tubing is 3” OD • 2.75” ID for maximum velocity. Anything bigger or smaller will hurt your performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so there’s no misunderstanding. Hot air being fed into the intake system doesn’t have “less” oxygen. Warmer air is going to be thinner or less dense than colder air. Atmospheric air is 78% Nitrogen and ~25% oxygen. Colder air is going to allow for a lot more air (oxygen) within the volume sq of cubic space (Intake System).

If you’re going to install or design a custom air intake system be sure your pipe or tubing is 3” OD • 2.75” ID for maximum velocity. Anything bigger or smaller will hurt your performance.
So I shouldn’t switch back?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
So I shouldn’t switch back?
You should, they other guy said the same thing as I, but tried be text book proper and confused the rest.
Cold air is more dense and hence has more oxygen (per whatever unit of measure you like)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should, they other guy said the same thing as I, but tried be text book proper and confused the rest.
Cold air is more dense and hence has more oxygen (per whatever unit of measure you like)

Okay cool I have one on the way I’ve always regretted changing it lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
@GraceTheGen I can share my experience with using stock air box on a custom 93 tune. I never used a short ram for that very reason. My stock air box had a drop in aem filter and DEI gold reflective tape over the box and the snorkel or whatever you call it I can’t remember right now. I made very good power with it and I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
But recently this month I just did a DIY for my own true cold air intake that I can confirm makes more power than the stock air box can. 3.5 inch upper and below the maf is 4inch. My top end now after getting retuned is a lot better and refined. Also I made my own due to the fact Injen and aem were sold out.

The bottom 4inch pipe goes down all the way to where my fog light used to be. Also I do have a spetre hydro shield/raingaurd over the filter for rain just Incase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts