Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 GC 2.0t track. I leave in Cleveleand so its cold here. but my dashboard and my driver door rattles soo bad. Anyone else with the same problem?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine rattles somewhere in the dashboard....center/slightly to the passenger side...
It gets annoying at times but....don't really care

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine is in the same spot but mine is pretty annoying i am considering bringing it to hyundai for them to fix it!

·
carrbrad82
2 Posts
Dash board noise

Around here car dealers install lo jack. They also do a pretty crappy job of doing it. The lo jack box is about four inches long, an inch thick, and about two inches wide. it has constant and ground hooked to it. Car dealers usually shove them in a place that you wont see it if you happen to do basic upgrades. ( Radio, speakers, alarm system etc.) I would be willing to guess that it may be a "Lo Jack rattle" as I have nicknamed it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a rattle that I thought came from the dash, however it was from the headliner. Next time you experience the rattle push up on the headliner just above the mirror and see if that doesn't stop it. If it does, try pushing a foam strip between the headliner and the roof panel. Let us know if this helps.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
We've pretty much corrected this phantom dash rattle on passengers side near windshield on 2 GenCoupes at my dealership thus far.

-The dash will have to be completely removed.
-The metal stud prongs sticking out from the firewall that the dash slides over & hangs on will have to be bent ever so slightly down.
-Then install single sided rubber insulation around each of the studs to eliminate rub by cutting a small 2"x2" square of adhesive backed insulation & poking a hole in it with hole punch or mechanics punch.
-Also install a long thin strip all the way across top of firewall of same type of single adhesive sided rubber insulation.
-While dash is out, flip it over placing it on something so it doesn't get damaged & tighten the 2 phillips screws on each of the 5 female plastic bracets ends that slide over the metal prongs protruding from the firewall.
-Reassemble dash assembly upper & lower crash pad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like a little process! Was that covered under warranty? Also what dealership do you work at so I can tell my dealer who to call if the need help fixing it! I'm assuming they are noobs about the coupe and don't know these common issues

·
Registered
756 Posts
The whole damn car rattles. My only real complain so far... I can't wait to see how bad everything rattles after I install my cp-e engine mounts.

·
USDA Prime Member
62 Posts
mine has become a rattle trap as well...Driver door, dashboard near the defrost, dash by the center console, steering column, driver sunvisor and roof, ect...They get worse with increases in volume of the radio, or each resonate at different rpm due to the exhaust...

If i didn't work at the dealer, i would have Hyundai look into them...But i don't want to waste my tech's time with nonsense...i realize what kind of car i bought

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hope you dont dirty your gen up too much in snowy cleveland right now!

Yeah i dont drive it too much in this nonsence. i took it out this morning and pretty much had to launch it in reverse to get out of my garage lol.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Mine rattles as well, but its from the sub hitting low notes shacking the panels. This to me is normal with every car. And it gets worse in the cold but doesn't bother me.

@ Tufast What is the process of gettin the dealership to fix the headliner if I was interested in doing so?

·
barely turns a wrench
509 Posts
We've pretty much corrected this phantom dash rattle on passengers side near windshield on 2 GenCoupes at my dealership thus far.

-The dash will have to be completely removed.
-The metal stud prongs sticking out from the firewall that the dash slides over & hangs on will have to be bent ever so slightly down.
-Then install single sided rubber insulation around each of the studs to eliminate rub by cutting a small 2"x2" square of adhesive backed insulation & poking a hole in it with hole punch or mechanics punch.
-Also install a long thin strip all the way across top of firewall of same type of single adhesive sided rubber insulation.
-While dash is out, flip it over placing it on something so it doesn't get damaged & tighten the 2 phillips screws on each of the 5 female plastic bracets ends that slide over the metal prongs protruding from the firewall.
-Reassemble dash assembly upper & lower crash pad.

fuuuuuuuuuu, are you kidding me? this much effort for the rattle?:(

3 problems i see coming my way with this...

1.) hyundai will say ...uhh... we cant fix it -sorry
2.) youre Unavi Bezel/LCD relocator mod is making the rattle.
3.) we can fix it (then later-oops we did a shitty job)

i had a hunch the noise was coming from the dash rattling against the windshield...maybe i can rig something to wedge in between the two? maybe that will work?

·
Registered
522 Posts
my car is like 15 months old and has 12,xxx miles. I went to the dealership and they said it is out of the warranty that would have covered this and i would have to pay out of pocket.

·
barely turns a wrench
509 Posts
my car is like 15 months old and has 12,xxx miles. I went to the dealership and they said it is out of the warranty that would have covered this and i would have to pay out of pocket.
how can this be?

i thought we have a 3 year /36,000 mile warranty for interior?

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Seems like a little process! Was that covered under warranty? Also what dealership do you work at so I can tell my dealer who to call if the need help fixing it! I'm assuming they are noobs about the coupe and don't know these common issues
It was a serious process & the dealer will need your car ALL day. Both of the cars we have done were under warranty; one under 12mos/12k mi & the other had complained several time prior to 12mos/12k mi, so both were covered under warranty.

The whole damn car rattles. My only real complain so far... I can't wait to see how bad everything rattles after I install my cp-e engine mounts.
+1....these cars do rattle, but alot of it has to do with the lack of insulation, which I'm glad of > weight reduction FTW.

But, I've got most of my interior out right now & plan on removing every single panel & installing this rubber sheets with 3m adhesive on the back on every contact point where plastic meets metal or more plastic. It's one hell of a process, but my car won't rattle when I'm through.

Mine rattles as well, but its from the sub hitting low notes shacking the panels. This to me is normal with every car. And it gets worse in the cold but doesn't bother me.

@ Tufast What is the process of gettin the dealership to fix the headliner if I was interested in doing so?
I'm fixing to be knocking pretty hard with the sub I just installed, so I'm prepping the interior for unevitable.

The process to get rattles fixed through the dealership is simple, call & set an appointment. Then insist on riding with a tech to point out the rattles, so they can't say no problem found. Leave car for entire day to get rattles fixed, because techs hate dealing with rattles or electrical shorts & you being willing to leave your car all day will make them at ease, thus not feel rushed.

BTW, remove any aftermarket stereo equipment or loud exhaust prior to going to the dealership or they will blame the rattles on those items & not make the repairs under warranty.

fuuuuuuuuuu, are you kidding me? this much effort for the rattle?:(

3 problems i see coming my way with this...

1.) hyundai will say ...uhh... we cant fix it -sorry
2.) youre Unavi Bezel/LCD relocator mod is making the rattle.
3.) we can fix it (then later-oops we did a shitty job)

i had a hunch the noise was coming from the dash rattling against the windshield...maybe i can rig something to wedge in between the two? maybe that will work?
Yeah, the dealership will not be eager to fix a rattle, especially one that requires removing the dash assembly!

Alot of folks are doing just that ~ wedging some foam like material between the dash & front glass.

how can this be?

i thought we have a 3 year /36,000 mile warranty for interior?
Hyundai's warranty on manufacturer's defective parts is 5yrs/60k miles, but adjustments where no part is required to be replaced are only covered 12mos/12k miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got my car back from hyundai and they replaced the whole dash and now my car is rattle free!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts