Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a set of Denso TT spark plugs (part number 4704) and If anyone knows the gap size these spark plugs need to be at for a bk1 2.0t?
Also add an what is the torque spec the plugs need to be tightened at ? Thanks for the help in advanced.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
Yes there is a reason. The turbo will blow out the spark at higher rpms when set at .040.

The plugs are easy to change though. Give it a try, see for yourself.

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there is a reason. The turbo will blow out the spark at higher rpms when set at .040.

Good know. Thank you again red for the help. Always appreciated 👍

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.028 is the gap.
Hey red so before I switched my plugs out I went ahead and adjusted the new plugs to a .028 gap(picture down below) and after hand I went to check the gap on the plugs that are currently in the car and I saw that they are the same Denso TT plugs, and Just to check it out I measured the gap on the plugs in my vehicle currently and they measured at .040 gap. Roughly between .038 -.040. The spark plugs did have discoloration on the porcelain as well as some carbon deposits around the tip.(I didnt take a photo as it was pretty dark outside at the time I checked them) Do the larger gap size of the old spark plugs have to do something with the condition the spark plugs are in? Is that the large gap was causing a bad ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder? I just want to make sure that the new plugs gapped at .028 will be the best for my car.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
Hey red so before I switched my plugs out I went ahead and adjusted the new plugs to a .028 gap(picture down below) and after hand I went to check the gap on the plugs that are currently in the car and I saw that they are the same Denso TT plugs, and Just to check it out I measured the gap on the plugs in my vehicle currently and they measured at .040 gap. Roughly between .038 -.040. The spark plugs did have discoloration on the porcelain as well as some carbon deposits around the tip.(I didnt take a photo as it was pretty dark outside at the time I checked them) Do the larger gap size of the old spark plugs have to do something with the condition the spark plugs are in? Is that the large gap was causing a bad ignition of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder? I just want to make sure that the new plugs gapped at .028 will be the best for my car. View attachment 77593

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was easy as you said! I went ahead and put the new plugs in at .028 and so far so good I believe. This is what the old plugs had looked like with a .040 gap

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
How many miles? Are those the original plugs? I need to check mine. They have over 45k on them.

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles? Are those the original plugs? I need to check mine. They have over 45k on them.
I’m not to sure! I have no idea when the previous owner/dealer did the change on these plugs. I’m assuming they did change plugs out from the factory installed plugs as the ones I pulled out are the New Denos TT as opposed to the stock Denso iridium long life plugs. Just needed to do some preventative maintenance on the car.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,430 Posts
The TTs came in my car from the factory. Looks like I've been changing them around 50k miles or so.

DENSO 3459 FK20HQR8

·
Registered
2010 2.0T base model
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered a set of Denso TT spark plugs (part number 4704) and If anyone knows the gap size these spark plugs need to be at for a bk1 2.0t?
Also add an what is the torque spec the plugs need to be tightened at ? Thanks for the help in advanced.
Here’s a lil update for y’all. In case you come across this thread 🙂
New spark plugs at .028 gap have been so far so good. No misfiring issues! I did notice what could be an increase if power and gas mileage! Before the change, my car would hang around 1500-2300 rpms at around 60mph in 5th gear but with the new plugs my car hangs around 2500-3000 Rpms going 60mph in 5th gear. My acceleration feels steady and consistent and the shift between gears is a lot smoother than before. Beforehand I was getting around 17-21 mpg and now with the new plugs I’ve hit as high as 24mpg. Overall good things have come out with a simple maintenance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts