Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had my car get a 2 step paint correction and ceramic coating by a very highly recommended detailer. During the final polishing process right before the ceramic count, the counterweight flew off the polisher and took off a 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch chunk of paint right off the body line of my driver side door, miraculously, without denting the door. The detailer has offered to do ANYTHING to make sure I am happy with the outcome including getting the whole door repainted at a reputable body shop; I am very likely going to go that route.

https://m.imgur.com/a/pwrFJ

The thing is I don’t know crap about paint. My biggest fear is that my whole door won’t quite match the rest of the car. I don’t have any crazy paint, just the factory black-noir. Is there anything you all would recommend? Perhaps another solution, or maybe I am just overthinking this?

His other work before the ceramic coat.

https://m.imgur.com/a/OJqJq

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just get the door painted by a reputable shop and let the detailed pay for it. If the shop does quality work it shouldn't be a problem. What else can you really do? Stuff happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, I may just be overthinking it. I do appreciate the reassurance though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JK, WORRYING COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED.

Went to pick up the car today and the whole door was a different color, almost no flake at all, and the best part, PAINT BUBBLES!

I am livid. The paint shop offered to give it another try but I skeptical that I’ll be satisfied.

I now have to contemplate my options if it’s not fixed the second time around.

Pictures inbound, though it’s way more apparent in person.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Who picked the shop? I'd give them one more chance to paint it right, (provided their confident the can), If not insist on a top tier shop,(one that specializes in high end vehicles). It's just three stage paint, it shouldn't be a problem for a professional shop with a experienced painter to get it right. Sorry for the bad luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop had another go at it and got an EXACT match, couldnt be happier. They are, however, not happy with their new guy. Once the paint cures my detailer will finish ceramic coating.

This was my first time getting only part of a car painted so I was really worried, then that bullshit happened and I was not too optomistic that it would get fixed. Thankfully its all good now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man, i can't believe the delivered it to you with paint bubbles. Color matching on paint is always hard, especially with metallic flake. Worst part is that paint curing process can take a really long time and will likely never be as hard of a coating as the new paint. Hopefully you don't have any additional issues with it though!

I'm curious what this ceramic coating is however, can you explain it in more detail?

·
shorttrack
1,655 Posts
Being the non violent Marine that I am ,I would take a sledge hammer to his vehicle and call it even .

·
shorttrack
1,655 Posts
Just kidding.>:D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Lazy ass

So I do ceramic coating. Let me just say that for the amount of money these clowns are charging,....they should NOT be using an orbital anything to prep or apply this stuff.

What should have happened is your guy should have lovingly washed then clay bar-red each small section. BY HAND!
He then should have used a medium grade paint solvent to final prep all surfaces, again by hand. If its not slick as snot, its not ready. You cant get a complete feel with a stupid ass orbital.

Anything else is abut quantitative production, and not quality artistry.

Semper Fi brotha,............8356 jump and scuba/ Force Co. 1981-1986.

I'm getting ready to do my buddy's Maserati Quattroporte S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts