Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Detonation elimination

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  TsukubaRed_PA 
#1 ·
Okay so i already feel stupid for asking my question before researching, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s detonation. Not sure why it would only happen in first gear but glad I’m catching it now. I only ever use 93 octane and the only mod to the engine is a forge bov, stock tune, never turned up the actuator. My intercooler is dented, but it’s not running any hotter than usual. I feel like I can’t just put some octane booster in and forget about it. Why are the main causes for detonation and how do I eliminate it? Thanks again.

See less See more
#5 ·
What is the reason why you think you're getting detonation?

You can put heet in your gas and see if that makes a difference.
It only happens in first gear full boost, and it sounds like a loud click coming from the motor. I’ve read other threads talking about detonation and they described exactly what I’m experiencing. My car has a stock tune and the injectors are stock, never changed a fuel filter and the kms are high. Never cleaned the injectors. I’m going to get an afr gauge and see if I can figure if it’s lean or rich.

#8 ·
I would start with a good cleaner like Techron. A cheap first step. You might want to double-up on it. I run a catch can an use a fuel additive regularly. With that many miles are these the original plugs? If so, replace them.

#9 ·
I booked an appointment with a Hyundai technician for a valve cleaning, I’m going to see if that helps and continue to keep up on the injector cleaner from then on, they aren’t original plugs I changed them around 125,000. Ngk one step colder. What is your catch can setup? Something I’ve been looking into.

#10 ·
UPDATE** so I grabbed a big bottle of Lucas octane booster, chucked it in the tank and it’s no longer detonating. Still changing my fuel filter and cleaning my valves as the octane booster is not a forever fix. Also swapping the oem muffler for a 2.5 inch single exit. Hopefully free up some pressure. Going to service my waste gate and make sure it’s working correctly, I have a forge bov, since the car comes with a diverter valve does it really make a difference if the waste gate actually surges? If it doesn’t will it break ****? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.