Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in April of 2020 I took my ‘15 gen coupe to the dealership for a concerning ticking noise coming from the engine. The dealership ended up telling me it was the fuel injectors and they changed the oil and said the tick was gone. Low and behold when I went to pick up my car, the first thing I hear after starting it is the same tick. I ended up emailing the service manager a couple days after the appointment letting him know that the noise was definitely still there and that I was concerned that this was the beginning of something worse. Seeing as I wasn’t the first owner, I was only covered under the 5yr/60k mile warranty (which was still valid at this time). Service manager ended up telling me they’ll look at it at my next service 5 moths or 5k miles. Seeing as I hardly drive my car due to have a work vehicle, I figured I don’t need to bring it in after 5 months. Around 11 months later, the engine blows up. Only put about 4,000 miles on it since that service. Long story short, my car is now out of the warranty by 1 month and the dealership said the long block is trashed and engine needs to be replaced. They quoted me $24,000 for a new engine. Which I found outrageous considering my car (base model) would’ve cost around 26k NEW. Customer service from the dealership has been the absolute worst I’ve ever witnessed. My car has been there for 2 weeks and I’ve only gotten two calls from them in that time. Still waiting to hear back about the goodwill program, as this is my only hope in getting a new motor. Otherwise I’ll probably end up have to getting a used one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got the same kind of BS from the dealership over the timing chain rattle in my Coupe. They wanted to do hundreds of dollars worth of transmission flushes (manual tranmission) and coolant system flushes at 40,000 miles but didn't want to fix the start up racket of the timing chains sounding like they were going to fly apart.

Never went back. Inspections done somewhere else. When I bought my wife a new car 5 years later it was not a Hyundai.

When we got another couple car (coupe) last year it also was not a Hyundai.

I'll keep my Coupe till it dies someday (or I do). If it dies hopefully it'll be old enough that I can put antique tags on it and drop an LS/6 spd. swap into it.

Not saying Hyundai's are bad cars. I'm saying I refuse to give my money to dealers that will not take care of their customers.

If I were you, I'd tell the dealer to KMA and look for a rebuilt/used engine and an independent shop to do the swap.

For what it's worth, I hear the same complaints about BMW dealerships and have no plans to take my 435iX to a dealer after the warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
So back in April of 2020 I took my ‘15 gen coupe to the dealership for a concerning ticking noise coming from the engine. The dealership ended up telling me it was the fuel injectors and they changed the oil and said the tick was gone. Low and behold when I went to pick up my car, the first thing I hear after starting it is the same tick. I ended up emailing the service manager a couple days after the appointment letting him know that the noise was definitely still there and that I was concerned that this was the beginning of something worse. Seeing as I wasn’t the first owner, I was only covered under the 5yr/60k mile warranty (which was still valid at this time). Service manager ended up telling me they’ll look at it at my next service 5 moths or 5k miles. Seeing as I hardly drive my car due to have a work vehicle, I figured I don’t need to bring it in after 5 months. Around 11 months later, the engine blows up. Only put about 4,000 miles on it since that service. Long story short, my car is now out of the warranty by 1 month and the dealership said the long block is trashed and engine needs to be replaced. They quoted me $24,000 for a new engine. Which I found outrageous considering my car (base model) would’ve cost around 26k NEW. Customer service from the dealership has been the absolute worst I’ve ever witnessed. My car has been there for 2 weeks and I’ve only gotten two calls from them in that time. Still waiting to hear back about the goodwill program, as this is my only hope in getting a new motor. Otherwise I’ll probably end up have to getting a used one.
If they said what the ticking was and was fixed "in writing", then I would tow the car to a different independent shop, have them just inspect what happened, then have another shop do the same.
... then lawyer up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they said what the ticking was and was fixed "in writing", then I would tow the car to a different independent shop, have them just inspect what happened, then have another shop do the same.
... then lawyer up.
I do have the service paper they gave me saying that the issue was fixed. Just spoke with an advisor from the dealership and they’re still processing the paperwork for goodwill. He told me that if goodwill does cover, it will only be for parts. Which would leave me still having to pay around 5k.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
I do have the service paper they gave me saying that the issue was fixed. Just spoke with an advisor from the dealership and they’re still processing the paperwork for goodwill. He told me that if goodwill does cover, it will only be for parts. Which would leave me still having to pay around 5k.
The "issue" existed long before the engine blowing up, and was the REASON why it was brought in prior to it blowing up, and was documented.
They "said" they fixed it, and when it was picked up, it wasn't fixed.
Kinda on you, that you took the car, even though the issue wasn't fixed.
It's on the dealer, if you or Hyundai (warranty) was charged for "what they said was fixed"
Dealer was charging for services that weren't given.

I would contact Hyundai corp, in the mindset of informing them that one of their franchises is scamming customers (word it in a way that you aren't blaming hyundai, to hyundai. Explain the situation and that you bought the car new [single owner]).
If what they "said was fixed" was done under warranty, then Hyundai corp footed the bill, so Hyundai basically paid them to do nothing. They might want to know about that.
Might not go anywhere, but it's an option.

If you lawyer up, find the business license name for the operations, so you are suing the business and not the franchise, less likely that Hyundai legal would get involved.

If you really want to be petty, if there are some stores near by, talk to the owner/managers there, explain what's going, and ask if you could park the car there.
tow the car there, put a sign in the window that says "Dealer lied about fix, then my engine blew up. Expects me to pay $24k to fix"

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
Also 20K+ for an engine is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
353 Posts
There are motors sub $1500 all over the place for these. You could put in a stroker kit, reseal it, build the heads, and it would still be cheaper than their quote.

·
Premium Member
15,861 Posts
I thought the same thing. No way I’m paying 24k+ for a engine in a 6 year old car that was 26k brand new.
They are probably expecting you to use your insurance negotiate and then pay for it... don't
Insurance will probably flat out total it, unless they have one of their suggested shops do the swap, with a used engine.
Either way, if insurance is involved, your premiums will go up.

Hell, for like $10k you can have a speed shop shove a LS in there. May take a while though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are probably expecting you to use your insurance negotiate and then pay for it... don't
Insurance will probably flat out total it, unless they have one of their suggested shops do the swap, with a used engine.
Either way, if insurance is involved, your premiums will go up.

Hell, for like $10k you can have a speed shop shove a LS in there. May take a while though.
I’m definitely not getting insurance involved. Like you said, I think they would probably total it as well.
Exactly what I was thinking, if I’m going to have to spend $10k, I’d much rather it be on a LS.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Got the same kind of BS from the dealership over the timing chain rattle in my Coupe. They wanted to do hundreds of dollars worth of transmission flushes (manual tranmission) and coolant system flushes at 40,000 miles but didn't want to fix the start up racket of the timing chains sounding like they were going to fly apart.

Never went back. Inspections done somewhere else. When I bought my wife a new car 5 years later it was not a Hyundai.

When we got another couple car (coupe) last year it also was not a Hyundai.

I'll keep my Coupe till it dies someday (or I do). If it dies hopefully it'll be old enough that I can put antique tags on it and drop an LS/6 spd. swap into it.

Not saying Hyundai's are bad cars. I'm saying I refuse to give my money to dealers that will not take care of their customers.

If I were you, I'd tell the dealer to KMA and look for a rebuilt/used engine and an independent shop to do the swap.

For what it's worth, I hear the same complaints about BMW dealerships and have no plans to take my 435iX to a dealer after the warranty runs out.
i also am not considering any hyundai, kia, or genesis product due to the **** service i received from the service departments not honoring warranty service when the car is clearly the problem. The 10 year warranty is only as good as the service department that honors it. I've since gotten 2 other cars where hyundai and genesis compete in the segment, but i didn't even consider them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The "issue" existed long before the engine blowing up, and was the REASON why it was brought in prior to it blowing up, and was documented.
They "said" they fixed it, and when it was picked up, it wasn't fixed.
Kinda on you, that you took the car, even though the issue wasn't fixed.
It's on the dealer, if you or Hyundai (warranty) was charged for "what they said was fixed"
Dealer was charging for services that weren't given.

I would contact Hyundai corp, in the mindset of informing them that one of their franchises is scamming customers (word it in a way that you aren't blaming hyundai, to hyundai. Explain the situation and that you bought the car new [single owner]).
If what they "said was fixed" was done under warranty, then Hyundai corp footed the bill, so Hyundai basically paid them to do nothing. They might want to know about that.
Might not go anywhere, but it's an option.
I completely agree with this—make a claim with Hyundai Corporate. This issue existed while under warranty, was documented by the dealer, and wasn’t fixed.

When I had my recurring limp mode, engine codes, throttle body replacement cycle (did about 3 iterations) that never fixed the root cause, my warranty also expired during one of the iterations. I asked my service guy what I need to do, and he recommended I make a claim with Corporate. I didn’t pay a dime and even got a loaner. Granted, I am the sole owner and did most of my maintenance there, it shouldn’t matter. Getting all of your paperwork together and organized, and making a claim with corporate would be the next step for sure. Hopefully lawyers won’t need to be the following step.
Sorry you have to deal with a shady dealership.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
To be truly objective, dealerships are like people, they are all different. The spectrum is filled from abhorrent to magnanimous.

*(Don't get mad, I'm going to play counter-point, and try to be objective doing it).

To be honest "a ticking noise" is hardly prima fascia evidence of a malfunction. As I read your account the first thing that came to my mind was "HPFP' which is the GDI's fuel pump, which ticks all the time. Now I know we dont have a sound clip of what you experienced. But BK2's all have ticking.

4K and or almost a year later,....a myriad of things could have occurred. I'm not saying its your fault, but there's no way your going to be able to prove even with a civil preponderance of the evidence that the ticking is the proximate cause of the engine failure.

I realize this experience will sour you to Hyun/KIA/Genesis, but know this every mass produced brand on the planet has case and circumstance just like the one you are talking about. The real enemy here was timing. It just happened to you right after your rights expired. If you think that any US car maker would act different , I have some land to sell you under the Brooklyn bridge.

I do empathize with you though, it suck dog dicks.

Lets face it fellas, the Korean's are kicking ass, For real.
-They are the primary drivers of 10 year 100K warranties. Every original owner I have ever known has had theirs honored. The world is following them, kind of.
-KIA Hyundai and Genesis are 1,2,3 for quality for the last like 5 years from JD powers
-The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been the number one electric car for the last 6 years. The ratings covered all hybrids and dedicated full plug ins. They included reliability, performance, customer satisfaction, breakdowns (or not) in Hyundais case, and warranty honoring.
-Every where you look Hyundai Pallisades, KIA Tellurides, Sonata-Sonata-Tuscons ,blah-blah.

I know this doesn't help you, but my greater point is, apart from corporate just doing some gratuitous benevolence, I really think you don't have a evidence based case.

Even if they wanted to corporate would have problems trying to source you an engine. We have been out of production for five years.

Litigation will not help you here. A detailed very articulate account written to their corporate quality assurance section is your best bet. In real terms I can see them interceding to get you in something that is in current production but, restoring a cancelled model, no way.
Remember the unfortunate timing is the key to their help here, not telling them what a piece of crap their dealer is,(even if its true).

Again, I feel for you brother...........:cry:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
We bro's wnt to truly help you,..................with the truth. (Even when it sucks). We are not like a bunch of females that just have to "support" each other no matter what, even when they are wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be truly objective, dealerships are like people, they are all different. The spectrum is filled from abhorrent to magnanimous.

*(Don't get mad, I'm going to play counter-point, and try to be objective doing it).

To be honest "a ticking noise" is hardly prima fascia evidence of a malfunction. As I read your account the first thing that came to my mind was "HPFP' which is the GDI's fuel pump, which ticks all the time. Now I know we dont have a sound clip of what you experienced. But BK2's all have ticking.

4K and or almost a year later,....a myriad of things could have occurred. I'm not saying its your fault, but there's no way your going to be able to prove even with a civil preponderance of the evidence that the ticking is the proximate cause of the engine failure.

I realize this experience will sour you to Hyun/KIA/Genesis, but know this every mass produced brand on the planet has case and circumstance just like the one you are talking about. The real enemy here was timing. It just happened to you right after your rights expired. If you think that any US car maker would act different , I have some land to sell you under the Brooklyn bridge.

I do empathize with you though, it suck dog dicks.

Lets face it fellas, the Korean's are kicking ass, For real.
-They are the primary drivers of 10 year 100K warranties. Every original owner I have ever known has had theirs honored. The world is following them, kind of.
-KIA Hyundai and Genesis are 1,2,3 for quality for the last like 5 years from JD powers
-The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been the number one electric car for the last 6 years. The ratings covered all hybrids and dedicated full plug ins. They included reliability, performance, customer satisfaction, breakdowns (or not) in Hyundais case, and warranty honoring.
-Every where you look Hyundai Pallisades, KIA Tellurides, Sonata-Sonata-Tuscons ,blah-blah.

I know this doesn't help you, but my greater point is, apart from corporate just doing some gratuitous benevolence, I really think you don't have a evidence based case.

Even if they wanted to corporate would have problems trying to source you an engine. We have been out of production for five years.

Litigation will not help you here. A detailed very articulate account written to their corporate quality assurance section is your best bet. In real terms I can see them interceding to get you in something that is in current production but, restoring a cancelled model, no way.
Remember the unfortunate timing is the key to their help here, not telling them what a piece of crap their dealer is,(even if its true).

Again, I feel for you brother...........:cry:
Appreciate the post. Now I do have a clip of the noise that was occurring last year, just don’t know how to post it. Regardless, hard to diagnose based off a 10 second clip. I understand where you’re coming from but my main issue was that they told me it was my fuel injectors and then changed my oil and the noise magically disappeared. And when I pointed it out to them they essentially told me to come back later.
After going back and forth with my service advisor, he says Hyundai will be willing to pay 80% of the bill leaving me with $4k which is a lot more reasonable then $25k. At this point I’ve been out of a car for almost 2 and a half months and I don’t see them going to be willing to cover the whole expense.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If you really want the car, you will pay the 4K. Remember she's a discontinued model.
The warranty on the replaced engine will be for one year.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Based on the totality of the circumstances I think I'd just pay the 4K and press on. You'll get a year on the new motor and have at least some recourse if they screw somthing up. Any legal action is probably going to equal or exceed that amount very quickly, meanwhile you still don't have your car to drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on the totality of the circumstances I think I'd just pay the 4K and press on. You'll get a year on the new motor and have at least some recourse if they screw somthing up. Any legal action is probably going to equal or exceed that amount very quickly, meanwhile you still don't have your car to drive.
Exactly what I thought. Not trying to drag it out any longer and have to deal with lawyers. Having to still pay 4k sucks but at least it will be fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you really want the car, you will pay the 4K. Remember she's a discontinued model.
The warranty on the replaced engine will be for one year.
The car still holds relatively good value for being discontinued, just not with a blown motor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts