Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
It would be really cool... And really impractical too, but still cool!

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
One of the issues I was having looking for wheels was that most of the nice looking wheels seem to be available to FWD cars, but no models are offered with the proper offset for a RWD car...

we should post up available offsets that would work on the gen (based on what we have seen on the car in Korea since we don't know the stock offsets, at least we know widths now, 7.5 front 8.5 rear)

Once the car is here in the US and we know the offsets we can start assembling a "wheels thread"

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I'm aiming for 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5/10 rear. I think that's close to the HKS SEMA car. Forgot what the offsets were. They're clearly seen on a sign in the picture thread, I think. And I'm guessing it's 5x114.3.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
I'm aiming for 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5/10 rear. I think that's close to the HKS SEMA car. Forgot what the offsets were. They're clearly seen on a sign in the picture thread, I think. And I'm guessing it's 5x114.3.
Same width for me, but in 18" forged 3pc, w/silly lip.

Off subject, but I was suprised how big a wheel I can on my bimmer
stock front - 17x8, rear - 17x9
can fit front - 19x9, rear - 19x10 1/2
that's nuts..

·
Registered
499 Posts
HKS gen coupe have +22mm or +25mm offset wheels. I'm not sure for now...I've a blank but I'm sure it is one of those 2 offset.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
This is 0 offset (this does not really happen in cars)
Code:
< Car  ----- Curb >
       |
       |
       |
----------------

This is a positive offset (this is crazy positive, and not very realistic...)
Code:
< Car ----- Curb >
            |
            |
            |
----------------

This is a negative offset (this is crazy Negative, and not very realistic...)
Code:
< Car ----- Curb >
  |
  |
  |
----------------

·
Registered
499 Posts
let's say a low positive offset is more realistic for the genesis coupe. But yes, I confirm, you understand the principle. Most FDW use high positive offset. RWD use lower offset wheel. I never saw a negative offset wheel, but I know it exists.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Okay I saw that HKS info sheet. It says 19x8 +30 front with 235/40/19 and the rear is 19x10 +25 with 265/35/19. From what I've seen on the HKS car there is still a little more room. A 8.5 or 9 in front doesn't seem too hard. The HKS car from a side view definately shows that the front wheels are not completely flush and could go another inch wider if you wanted. The rear is pretty good with 19x10's +25 on it, but there is still room to go with a lower offset (+20 or so). Alot of wheels come in a 10inch wide width with a low 20mm offset so that is a good thing, and for the front alot of wheels also come in 25 to 30mm offset in 8-9" widths.

The specs are sounding pretty good. This is pretty much what I was hoping for on wheels.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
This is 0 offset (and only happens in badass cars)
Code:
< Car  ----- Curb >
       |
       |
       |
----------------

This is a positive offset (this always happens to be the fitment for everything N2OInferno buys so he can never get decent lip. Boo on +48 offsets!)
Code:
< Car ----- Curb >
            |
            |
            |
----------------

This is a negative offset (this is crazy Negative, and only happens in really really badass cars, and VIP stuff)
Code:
< Car ----- Curb >
  |
  |
  |
----------------
Fixt! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
so does baraks caddy get a negative offset? I think thats pure VIP status and a pretty badass car/truck whatever it is... Get back to me on that one ;)

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The rears on this are -28

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
so does baraks caddy get a negative offset? I think thats pure VIP status and a pretty badass car/truck whatever it is... Get back to me on that one ;)
That doesn't count. It's a TANK!

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
so flesh a bigger negative offset would give you a bigger "deep dish" type thing?

it would, but like was mentioned, a negative offset is not very common on passenger cars at all, unless you have a very narrow wheel.

let's say a low positive offset is more realistic for the genesis coupe. But yes, I confirm, you understand the principle. Most FDW use high positive offset. RWD use lower offset wheel. I never saw a negative offset wheel, but I know it exists.
The most common use for negative offset is on Dually trucks and tractor/trailers. You will have one wheen with a very high positive offset (typically the hug is further out than the wheel, then you have a wheel with an equally high negative offset, so that when you mate the wheels together to the car you have two wheels working as one.

Also, just to put a bit more definition on it, offset is measured in millimeters.

Basically on a wheel that is 240mm wide, a 30 offset will put the hub about 90mm from the outside edge of the wheel and 150mm from the inside edge of the wheel.

This is why offset is so important, if you take a stock wheel that is, oh, let's say 8.5 inches wide which is ~216mm and assume that has a 35mm offset. That means that from the hub to the inside edge of the tire you have 143mm of wheel. Now let's assume that the inside of the wheel has 25mm of clearance to the tire well (that's about 1 inch).

You decide to dump some 10.5s on there for that ultra aggressive look. 10.5 inches is 266mm, if you stay with that 35mm offset the inside of the wheel is now 168mm, which is 25mm wider, meaning that now your wheel is rubbing against the tire well....... NOT GOOD!!

In this situation you would need to go with a lower positive offset wheel to prevent rubbing. In this instance you could retain stock clearance with a +10 offset, but that will move the outside edge out an inch further, so you now have the outside edge of the wheel a total of 3 inches closer to the curb (this would be totally baller btw... lol and would likely require a widebody kit to even be legal in some states...)

Now that example is just made up numbers, I have no idea what any cars stock offsets and clearances are without looking it up... so don't take those numbers as anything other than an example.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts