Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Sleeper!
857 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on which is stronger? Splines have been in use for years with plenty of real world results. If the DSS could get a factory bolt on piece, they could examine it and make a recommendation at least.
DSS has a factory bolt on axle... they got it from me when I ordered a spare axle to send to them. :)

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track White Pearl
3,111 Posts
So does this mean a 2010-2012 axle will work on a 2013+ A/T diff? Not that I need to upgrade but I'm curious now.

·
Sleeper!
857 Posts
So does this mean a 2010-2012 axle will work on a 2013+ A/T diff? Not that I need to upgrade but I'm curious now.
I have wondered the same for the A/T guys. Obviously doesn't apply to me or the M/T, but it would be of good interest to find that information out. Best way to find out is measure the length of the axles (both sides) and double check spline count between the two.

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Only mods I have that play any roll in my broken axle are intake, catless turbo back exhaust, stage 4 comp clutch and aluminum flywheel and this is what happened. I think the axles interchange but I'm not certain. Knowing weather they do or not is what's holding me up from placing my order. I don't have a pic to upload but the part that broke is the splinned part that goes into the diff and bolts to the axle.

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts
Only mods I have that play any roll in my broken axle are intake, catless turbo back exhaust, stage 4 comp clutch and aluminum flywheel and this is what happened. I think the axles interchange but I'm not certain. Knowing weather they do or not is what's holding me up from placing my order. I don't have a pic to upload but the part that broke is the splinned part that goes into the diff and bolts to the axle.
Isn't a stage 4 clutch a bit much for about 230-240 rwhp? I thought stage 4 would have been for someone making closer to 500+ rwhp.

You said the splined part broke, but you say you have a 2013 M/T. So you wouldn't have any splines. Are you saying that the puck broke? If so, I guess that answers our questions about their strength.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes it may be a bit much for my current setup but it's suitable for my future plans. The part that broke is the piece that's splined and goes into the diff. The axle bolts to the other side of it. I uploaded a pic of it to photobucket. Hopefully this is the right link for the photo lol

·
Sleeper!
857 Posts
The axle and stub on the left still look good. How long have you had the car down so far? Do you have extra axle and stubs or no?

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts
Looks like you could just replace that stub with the spline on it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The axle on the left is good. The one on the right is the bad one but it's actually my left side axle. The car had been down since Friday night. I can't find the part number just for the stub that goes into the diff otherwise I wouldn't buy a new axle cause the axle itself is fine. I need to either get a new axle, swap to the old axles along with the new diff or get just the piece that goes into the diff.

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts
DSS has a factory bolt on axle... they got it from me when I ordered a spare axle to send to them. :)
Did they get everything including the splined stub? They said they don't have one to examine when I asked them about making stronger ones.

·
Sleeper!
857 Posts
Did they get everything including the splined stub? They said they don't have one to examine when I asked them about making stronger ones.
When I purchased and had the axle sent to them, it didn't come with the stub, so I am wondering if I can borrow DailyDriven's stub to be sent to them if he can convert everything over to a 13 A/T diff and axle setup in the mean time. I have the correct bit to separate the stub from the axle too if need be. I have had my car down for numerous project's and DSS estimates minimum 8 weeks of downtime if I sent them my stubs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If I get a 2012 auto diff will the 2013 auto axles work with it? If so then I'll be ordering the stuff tomorrow. I'll swap both axles over to the 2012. I'd be down for sending them my good stub but I'd need the tool for them. I wish I had the part number for the stub so I wouldn't have to buy a whole new axle.

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts
There's plenty of them on car-part.com, if you can't send in that stub, I may buy a set of axles from somewhere and see what DSS can do to make them stronger so I have an extra stronger set waiting around for next year.

Right & Left

·
Sleeper!
857 Posts
If I get a 2012 auto diff will the 2013 auto axles work with it? If so then I'll be ordering the stuff tomorrow. I'll swap both axles over to the 2012. I'd be down for sending them my good stub but I'd need the tool for them. I wish I had the part number for the stub so I wouldn't have to buy a whole new axle.
If you can get length and spline count for a pre 2012 A/T axles, I have a contact for the 13 A/T axles to get that info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Car-part.com doesn't have pictures so Idk if I'm actually getting what I'm looking for. I wish I had access to an axle but I dont. I may just have to be the guinea pig to test it.

·
Go Hyundai!
1,008 Posts
Car-part.com doesn't have pictures so Idk if I'm actually getting what I'm looking for. I wish I had access to an axle but I dont. I may just have to be the guinea pig to test it.
You can email some of the places on the list, maybe some close to you, and ask them for a photo. Many places will do that.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Dang I was always told the cv joint and spline in lsd were made of a good grade metal and the axles were the weak link.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thread revival I know. Curious if anyone's found if the axles are interchangeable?

Appears both stub and slide in have the snap ring?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts