Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I recently tried to swap out my open diff for an LSD unit on my 2015 GC 3.8 MT. When trying to get the bolts off that hold the CV axels onto a flange on the diff they will not budge. I’m damn scared to strip the heads on them because they are a triple square inverted head.
So… I’m wondering if I can just break them all/cut them off instead. Since I’m swapping the complete pumpkin. But no matter where I look I can’t find the replacement bolts.
They are part 23 in the attached figure for reference.
Any help is much appreciated:)
Font Circle Art Illustration Drawing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just pull the input cups (number 7 on the photo), out of the diff and not deal with the flange bolts?
That may work but I’m not sure if the diff cover will come off while it’s mounted on the car because the cover has a mount on it and it’s very close proximity to the rear crossmember and I’d probably have to pull both rear tires off the car along with the brakes and axel nuts to be able to pull the axel assembly out
I’ll have to climb underneath again to take a look but I’m hoping to avoid all that

·
Premium Member
16,469 Posts
That may work but I’m not sure if the diff cover will come off while it’s mounted on the car because the cover has a mount on it and it’s very close proximity to the rear crossmember and I’d probably have to pull both rear tires off the car along with the brakes and axel nuts to be able to pull the axel assembly out
I’ll have to climb underneath again to take a look but I’m hoping to avoid all that
The Bk2 diff carrier is the same the BK1 (same part number).
The difference is the bk2 and bk1 half shafts are different, in that bk2 has the input cup-to-half shaft, where as the bk1 has the typical cv axle design.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Pop the cups out #7 as stated I have done this job several times no need to waste time trying to unbolt them. You can unbolt the two diff mounts and the one rear bolt through the cover and then when a supporting jack and a prybar pop each cup out and the whole diff will come down

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bk2 diff carrier is the same the BK1 (same part number).
The difference is the bk2 and bk1 half shafts are different, in that bk2 has the input cup-to-half shaft, where as the bk1 has the typical cv axle design.
Pop the cups out #7 as stated I have done this job several times no need to waste time trying to unbolt them. You can unbolt the two diff mounts and the one rear bolt through the cover and then when a supporting jack and a prybar pop each cup out and the whole diff will come down
Thanks I’ll give that a shot I thought there’d be some sort of retaining ring inside the diff to told the cups in place ill let u know how it goes when I get around to it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts