Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
To me that seems like overkill but it shouldn't cause any harm, if it seems reasonable to you do it.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Hey Inertia, you seem like a guru on this catch can info. So from what Ive read we need the PCV catch can for the 3.8s. And having 2 is overkill?
Have had a single on my PCV side and it's caught more oil than I'd prefer, so it's important. I just pulled off my manifolds and the TB was clean meaning little to no oil has come from the vent side so having one on the vent side is overkill unless you have serious issues, but in that case you need more than a catch can.

Reactions: 1nf3ctedmushr0m

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have had a single on my PCV side and it's caught more oil than I'd prefer, so it's important. I just pulled off my manifolds and the TB was clean meaning little to no oil has come from the vent side so having one on the vent side is overkill unless you have serious issues, but in that case you need more than a catch can.
Finall, the catch cans from MICHI are only for the 2.0T they can be used for the 3.8 i assume? I also will take your advice and only install the PCVside.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Finall, the catch cans from MICHI are only for the 2.0T they can be used for the 3.8 i assume? I also will take your advice and only install the PCVside.
catch cans are catch cans, turbo or not. The only diff might be how they are built meaning they expect you to mount them in a certain location so the nipples are pointed in a certain direction, but that may or may not be an issue. I just built my own using a water/oil separator for an air compressor. $20 + $10 for fittings and hose.

·
Obsessed
1,181 Posts
The PCV side is the important one, and the only one necessary unless you plan to turbo your 3.8. The SM cans for the 3.8 were made after Snoopy worked out the 2.0t set. If you want them, just tell him which one you have. He will set it up with the right connections.

Reactions: 1nf3ctedmushr0m

·
Obsessed
1,181 Posts
I whole heartedly disagree with the idea that all catch fans are the same. Their build quality and design can vary greatly. The type of materials and coatings can be important, keeping in mind you want a can that can withstand the temperatures and chemicals present without damaging its seals. As well, different features are required for different purposes. Whether it's vented or not, baffled or not, and sealed (maintenance-free) or not, make a big difference in suitability and use.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Hey Inertia, you seem like a guru on this catch can info. So from what Ive read we need the PCV catch can for the 3.8s. And having 2 is overkill?
As JGowen stated you only need the vent side can if you plan to turbo, or if you track the car due to how much time spent at WOT on the track, there is a member who tracks his NA 3.8 and collects oil in the vent can.

The Snoopy cans are design to mount in a specific place in the 2.0T engine bay, and the bracket included and the inlet/outlet placement and angles on the cans are designed with that mounting location in mind, as such they will not work on the 3.8 from an installation standpoint. You can order cans from SM two ways, as JGowen said you can just tell him you have a GC 3.8 and he'll send you a set that have the right inlet and outlet sizes that angle straight ahead on top of each other, or you can pre-plan your install and order cans from him with the inlets and outlets pointed in exactly the right directions and angles for your particular install.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
As well, different features are required for different purposes. Whether it's vented or not, baffled or not, and sealed (maintenance-free) or not, make a big difference in suitability and use.
I think Titan meant all things being equal the right can for your application from any supplier will work but you make an excellent point here, for example put a vented can on the 3.8 PCV side and you'll have a serious vacuum leak, not every can design is right for the job.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So looking at he S1-OCC the single can to mount for the PCV side. S1 Oil Catch Can - do the hoses come with the purchase? ALso this can requires no servicing right?

This should suffice as you guys have mentioned before. As for the placement Im planning on placing it just behind my intake (aftermarket) as there is a bracket free there.

What you guys think?
Thanks for all the input.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
That's where mine is located, sitting as low as possible in that gap between the motor, wheel well and intake heat shield.

The can comes by itself but you can add a drain kit and a hose kit, both highly recommended. The can is service free but you could clean it from time to time by flushing it with a degreaser of some kind, like intake cleaner.

On another note just did another 5,000 mile oil change and the PCV can caught another 4oz exactly again, every time I've emptied it it's been 4oz, so it's effective and consistent.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I have a dual catch can set up, one with a breather that Saikou Michi made for me.

It mounts right next to the driver side fuse box. The only catch is that they are a little too tall, so if you have them make them, make sure that they make them slightly smaller than normal size.

I would put up some pictures, but I can't put them in this thread from my phone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just finished my install. ordered the ADD W1 can (baffled) from ebay and honestly i think the quality is way better than i thought. Considering i have the stock airbox still, i mounted the can on the driver side and routed the hoses around the engine using zipties. inlet hose going behind the engine and the outlet hose going in front of the engine. pretty decent setup for those who still have there stock intake box and dont have a place to mount. PM me if anyone wants pictures of the install.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is the only picture i have for now feel free to pm me if you want more pics on how the hose is routed. By the way as you can see from the picture, i just bought L shaped brackets from homedepot and used that to mount the can.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your bracket design worked perfectly for my install.
Getting the PCV hose clamp was impossible until I went out and got a cable operated plier, then I could get it under the nipple around the clamp
My drain extension bracket was built reversed from yours so I couldn't mount it quite the same but it is in the same spot if not pointing the same way. I can still get to it though. I ended up having to use a self tapping screw to get it onto the control arm but all is good!

Should serve me well for many years. Who knows when I'll need to drain it, I've had the car for 13 months and the clock just crossed 3900 miles! But a clean motor is a happy motor

Thanks for the writeup!

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts
Your bracket design worked perfectly for my install.
Getting the PCV hose clamp was impossible until I went out and got a cable operated plier, then I could get it under the nipple around the clamp
My drain extension bracket was built reversed from yours so I couldn't mount it quite the same but it is in the same spot if not pointing the same way. I can still get to it though. I ended up having to use a self tapping screw to get it onto the control arm but all is good!

Should serve me well for many years. Who knows when I'll need to drain it, I've had the car for 13 months and the clock just crossed 3900 miles! But a clean motor is a happy motor

Thanks for the writeup!
i drain mine at least once a month. be sure to check every week to see what to expect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Planning this installation (BK2 3.8) next weekend and can find an answer on this. Can you advise if the altitude of can be of any relevance? too low or too high?

·
Obsessed
1,181 Posts
Planning this installation (BK2 3.8) next weekend and can find an answer on this. Can you advise if the altitude of can be of any relevance? too low or too high?
You want the catch can lower than the pcv so that when you shut off the car any condensation in the hoses drain to the can and not the valve, which can dry and clog the valve.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
You want the catch can lower than the pcv so that when you shut off the car any condensation in the hoses drain to the can and not the valve, which can dry and clog the valve.

Yea.... There is nowhere lower to put mine, So I just said **** it and put it where it'd fit

121 - 140 of 175 Posts