Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
You want the catch can lower than the pcv so that when you shut off the car any condensation in the hoses drain to the can and not the valve, which can dry and clog the valve.
i had the same though but wanted to confirm; gravity at its best...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Here is my install on a 2016:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
2013 3.8 Track White Pearl
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Looks good, just keep in mind at the angle your can sits at there will always be some oil sitting in the corner even after you drain it, you'll need to remember that as it might increase how often you'll need to drain it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks good, just keep in mind at the angle your can sits at there will always be some oil sitting in the corner even after you drain it, you'll need to remember that as it might increase how often you'll need to drain it.

I also have some capacity in the drain line that reaches down to the plastic skid pad under the car. Might actually fill it up to see what the total capacity is

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Yes, the drain line also adds some capacity, as for total capacity you'd never want to get close to that or the can won't be able to do it's job but it's good to know what that is so you can judge how full it's actually getting between drains.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a free weapon r catch can from a friend it's a universal can and both plugs are 1/2" does that matter or can I just run the 3/8" hose to one and the 1/2" to the other?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Best I can tell with their universal cans it shouldn't matter which hose goes to which port, you may just need to go to a home improvement store and get a brass 3/8 to 1/2 hose fitting to convert the 3/8 line to 1/2. I also wouldn't recommend using the clear hoses that come with those cans, invest in some proper reinforced fuel line hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 Ultimate. I really want to install a catch can on my coupe without replacing the airbox. I have read all the catch can threads and have pretty much come to the conclusion that I have to replace the airbox to install a catch can on the PCV side (unless someone has figured this out!). I thought the Jun B.L oil catch can would work, but where it installs I have a Delphi module (assuming for the HIDs) that I can’t seem to relocate elsewhere. Anyone figure this one out?

So now I’m to the point where I’m willing to buy an intake just to install the catch can. I really like the AEM intake since it retains the sound tube. But with the heat shielding and intake itself, it looks like with that setup (going by the pic on the AEM instructions), that I might still not have room to install the catch can. Has anyone installed a catch can on the newer motor with an AEM intake? Any help is much appreciated! I really don’t want to drop $300+ on an intake and then be in the same boat with the catch can.

·
'13 3.8 Track
858 Posts
I did it...I think I posted about it earlier in this thread...I think I may even have a picture posted for the location. Have you really read all the threads on this? ;)

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,978 Posts
On the passenger side I put my catch can behind the bumper attached to the frame next to the radiator. You want it in a cool place anyway. Just put a hose on the drain and plug with a bolt, then coil it up and lay it in the fender liner so you can get to it easily to drain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did it...I think I posted about it earlier in this thread...I think I may even have a picture posted for the location. Have you really read all the threads on this? ;)
I wasn't too keen on this since it was tilted, but I think this is the best route. I'm going to see what I can do behind the passenger headlight with a small can.

You can run the hoses around the back of the engine and mount it on the driver side no problem, check out this post.
This one bothered me because it was higher than the PCV valve and directly in the heat of the engine.

Thanks for all your inputs! I'll post once I get something rigged up.

·
Obsessed
1,182 Posts
Hmmm, I tried to post earlier, I guess my crappy connection out here killed it.

To make room for my 3.8 turbo kit, I moved my Saikou Michi catch can from up forward where the factory air box was (I had the Injen SRI so it wasn't an issue) to the firewall. I bought a smaller battery and cut down my battery tray, and relocated my fuse box along side it. It cleared tons of room. I had removed the factory sound generator tube long ago, so there was plenty of room to put the catch can on the firewall. I drilled a hole under it into the passenger wheel well, and ran the drain extension through it into the wheel well and under the car. It worked out pretty well. I'd take pics but I'm offshore for another 3 1/2 weeks.

I have another SM can and drain extension if you're interested in buying to do the same, just message me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally got it done with the stock airbox. I was able to get it just behind and below the passenger headlight plug. I used a Mishimoto compact baffled catch can which is pretty small. I used the matching drain kit, but had to replace the stock straight drain fitting for a 90' fitting. Downside is they recommend not filling the can above the baffle for it to work correctly, which gives me 2 oz (plus the drain line which I calc'd at 1 oz).

I have a bunch of pics I took, but not enough posts to post them. BUMMER! :frown:

I created a base for it to sit on in CAD (SketchUp) and printed it out on my 3D printer using ABS (both are black so everything looks stock). I used Gorilla double sided super tape to mount the can to the base, and the base to car (good stuff). I used 3/4" plated steel from Lowes to make a bracket to run straight up to the headlight support and painted it black. Nice and solid.

Still bummer about the pics :crying:

Drain line runs right between the ww fluid bottle and the stock airbox then down. I ran the IN line behind the power steering reservoir and under its bracket, under the stock airbox bracket, between the shock tower and fuse box, then in front of the battery. The OUT line ran between the airbox and the power steering reservoir and under the airbox bracket, then over to the surge tank. Everything flows nicely downward.

Overall, I'm super happy with it. Will check it in like a 1k miles.

·
3point8 Performance
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am about to add a catch can to the PCV side on my 2013 and had a quick question. If I understand correctly, this system is pressurized so keeping a sealed connection is important. The catch can I ordered has an optional breather filter that can be installed on the exit port of the catch can. I should just ignore that and use hose to close the loop back to the intake manifold, correct?

141 - 160 of 177 Posts