1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm a bit confused at the end of the 2nd vid (rear), you said the preload setting is on the spring itself while adjusting height is done on the shocks, is this the same for BC racing coilovers as well?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm a bit confused at the end of the 2nd vid (rear), you said the preload setting is on the spring itself while adjusting height is done on the shocks, is this the same for BC racing coilovers as well?
Nvm this is only specific to the Isc coil overs, BC adjust at the spring according to the manual, same with megans.

On other note. I swapped out my coil overs today, I ran into the same problem with the endlink nuts on both sides, the damn thing was like it was welded in but I finally to broke it loose with a torque wrench and lots of wd40 without causing any damages. I was sketchy about doing the rear but the vids made it a breeze to do. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad everything worked out. yea, you can adjust some height with the preload spring, but its mainly done with the shock arm. i assumed it ouwld be like this for any set, but if you say so. honestly, maybe their different but i dont see why. got any pics of final result?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
glad everything worked out. yea, you can adjust some height with the preload spring, but its mainly done with the shock arm. i assumed it ouwld be like this for any set, but if you say so. honestly, maybe their different but i dont see why. got any pics of final result?
No before and after pics that I can post, but I'll get some tomorrow to show how she settles in.

I just noticed a problem earlier today and I hope you or Bpearl2010 in the video could chime in and guide me how to fix this so here goes. My front passenger wheel is more tucked than my driver side (more negative cambers), before installed I set the camber plates on both side evenly, same with the ride height, checking the camber plates showing that both side are still at the same marks I had set them to, so what gives? I know that I need to get to an alignment shop but I just want to hear your opinions how I can fix this as it is most likely something I had overlooked while installing. I will get some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No before and after pics that I can post, but I'll get some tomorrow to show how she settles in.

I just noticed a problem earlier today and I hope you or Bpearl2010 in the video could chime in and guide me how to fix this so here goes. My front passenger wheel is more tucked than my driver side (more negative cambers), before installed I set the camber plates on both side evenly, same with the ride height, checking the camber plates showing that both side are still at the same marks I had set them to, so what gives? I know that I need to get to an alignment shop but I just want to hear your opinions how I can fix this as it is most likely something I had overlooked while installing. I will get some pics tomorrow.
hey man, okay so for starters, we didnt adjust camber plates, but if you wanted to and made sure they are the same, then i guess your good on that department. here are some of the key things i'd check to ensure everything is correct. (keep in mind it may take a while to ensure everything is adjusted correctly.

---- ensure that the preload height is exactly the same for the front preload springs. Also, if you didnt tighten them out the box, thats definitely something to tighten.

---- ensure that the height is adjusted evenly a both the front, and both the rear. Front should match with front, and rear should match with rear.

---- ensure dampening is at the same level for the front (although the height difference would be affected to much by this, always good to ensure their even)

---- Worst case, take the camber plates back to how they came out of the box and see how they fit.

Let me know what happens after verifying this. Although worst case you'd have to take to an alignment shop, only because i "THINK" your problem may be from you adjusting the plates. but i'd definitely check all these first before goign to a shop. let me know whats up.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yup, I measured everything (preloads and ride height) evenly on both sides, the camber plates are set to the exact same marks and tighten and they haven't slipped, but I will move them back to its factory setting to see if the wheels will even out.

It's so strange, the passenger wheel is more tucked while the driver side wheel is perfectly flushed with the fender. My car is handling just fine, I don't notice any vibration or swerving even at at highway speed.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, I measured everything (preloads and ride height) evenly on both sides, the camber plates are set to the exact same marks and tighten and they haven't slipped, but I will move them back to its factory setting to see if the wheels will even out.

It's so strange, the passenger wheel is more tucked while the driver side wheel is perfectly flushed with the fender. My car is handling just fine, I don't notice any vibration or swerving even at at highway speed.
now, is the differnece very minor, or really noticible? also, make sure to check on an EXTREMEMLY flat road, just to be on the safe side. you'd be amazed how many driveways look even, but actually arent.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good point, but no, we actually did 1 tire at a time, so that not it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Problem resolved! all is good now.

I jacked up both side, remove the wheels and remove the passenger coil off the car. The top hat/camber plate was slightly tilted at the ball joint, I straightened it out and reinstalled it, put both tires back on, and voila! both sides are now even and flushed as it should.

Will post update pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats awesome bro. glad you took the time to inspect everything and were able to figure it out. :bigthumbup:

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Hi thanks for posting this video, but I would like to point out a couple of things that would have made your life much easier.

1. It is not safe to work on the car while it is supported by only the jack. You should be using jack stands. Keep in mind that any minor accident involving your jack can result in death, or losing a limb. If you have jack stands, this job can be completed with only one jack.

2. You do not need to damage the OEM end links in any way when removing them. The easy way to install a front suspension is to jack up both sides of the front of the car, remove both front wheels, loosen the front sway bar brackets, and that will give you enough play to easily remove the sway bar end links without breaking anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts