Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BC Racing BR+ Coilover Install

FRONTS

1) Jack up front of vehicle and put it on jack stands.
2) Remove tires on both sides 21mm
3) Pop the hood and remove the stabilizer bar. 3 nuts on each side. (14mm) Pop the strut cap off too while you’re at it.

4) Once the stabilizer bar is removed, thread the nuts lightly back onto the upper strut bolts. (This will prevent the strut assembly from falling when you take the lower support mounts off.)
5) Remove the brake line support bracket bolt on the strut assembly (12mm I think)
6) Remove End Link nut (A) 17mm and take the bolt out from the mount. (might have to jack the rotor up a bit if its not aligned to come out straight)
7) Remove Lower Support Bolts (B & C) 19mm/17mm (Might need a breaker bar to loosen them)

8) If you still have the jack under the rotor from step 5, than lower the jack slowly until the weight of the hub assembly rests on the other components and its free from the lower mount. CAREFUL – Its heavy and it’ll try to spin on ya, so be careful not to let it smash down.
9) Grab the strut assembly with one hand and spin off the 3 upper support bolts in the engine bay. They should only be on there hand tight from step 3. It should come right out.
10) REPEAT ON THE OTHER SIDE.
11) Install BC coils by grabbing them with one hand, aligning them for the right holes and threading on the 3 nuts in the engine bay. Hand tight. (Make sure you have the right side for the job)
12) Put the END LINK Bolt back through the mount on the strut tower. 17mm( You should have some play if the other side is still disconnected) 72 ~ 87 lb-ft

FOR 2011+ MODELS - INSTALL YOUR SUPPLIED END LINKS.

13) Put your jack under the rotor again and carefully jack it up into place so the lower support bolts align. 19mm/17mm 101 ~ 116 lb-ft

14) Make sure all the perch rings are tight by using your spanner wrenches.
15) Once you’ve done both sides back up, put the stabilizer bar back on 14mm 32 ~ 47 lb-ft

REARS

1) Jack the Rear of the vehicle up and put it on jack stands
2) Remove both tires. 21mm
3) If your model comes with a sensor attached to the lower swing arm on the drivers side, than disconnect it at this time. 10mm
4) Place you jack under the lower swing arm and just have it there for support.

5) Undo the 2 bolts closest to the rotor 19mm/19mm and the end link nut 17mm

6) Once the 2 bolts and the end link bolt are out, slowly lower the jack all the way.
7) Take out the upper mounting bolts on the strut. 14mm
8) You can use your foot to step on the lower swing arm or stick a pry bar in and push down, both strut and spring should come right out with a bit of down force on the pry bar/lower arm.

9) Insert spring with collars, re-use the lower bushing. Insert strut and bolt it up to the top. 14mm 32 ~ 43 lb-ft
10) Jack up lower arm until it aligns with the bottom shock mount, put a bolt through it. Then jack it up some more until the other bolt aligns. 19mm/19mm 101 ~ 116 lb-ft
11) Jack up or down until the end link bolt aligns with the lower swing arm mount and put the nut on. 17mm 72 ~ 87 lb-ft
12) Once you have the end link nut torqued down then re-attach the sensor back to the lower swing arm.
13) Repeat on other side, there will be no sensor on passenger side.
14) Make sure all the perch rings are tight by using your spanner wrenches.

ADJUSTMENTS

You can find the how to for adjusting your coilovers on Infinityg37.com
BC COILOVER INSTALL/ADJUSTMENT

BC Racing Coilover Front Spring Change and Preload Adjustment - YouTube

Wish i would of taken more pics :( but, everything important is pictured and labeled. Still waiting on BC tech support on how to adjust preload properly on the rear for our cars, so i will update when done.

Reactions: P47R107 and Towstie

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx ! Happy Modding.

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
only thing I'd add is that you should check the tightness of all the collars before installing. My preload collars and height collars were all pretty loose, so I tightened them before installing. Once they were installed and held in place by the car, I tightened them even further. I've heard of many people getting clunking noises after installing coilovers, and loose components seem to always be the reason.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its so hard to tighten **** on the ground, i tried... I mean u can have it snug. It was alot easier to really put out on the wrenches once installed... U can even jack up the rear assembly to compress the spring so it doesnt move. But thx for the heads up, def snug up your stuff before installation.

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Its not the easiest, but I had one loosen up while handling it, and didn't want it changing length. I also only had 3 wrenches in my kit and not a single one was large enough for the large ring on the rear springs. I had to hold by hand and tighten the smaller one with the tool. Not sure if thats normal or if they forgot to put a large wrench in.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here with the wrenches. Must be how they come.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually found some bigger spanner wrenches under some garbge in the box... They were black and looked smaller but the radius/angle is bigger to fit the rear coil spring rings

·
The Stig
244 Posts
Just installed mine, thanks for the info. May want to add in the extra info for the new end links for those of us who have a 2011 +

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can add something in there about them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The height adjustment ring got loose somehow a couple days ago so i just jacked the car up and tightend it
I took a screwdriver and hammer to my fronts to get em super tight... After i got the right height.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can somebody help me with adjusting the rear end? not sure what to do with them. thanks
Follow the link in the original post to the infinity site to get an idea. Adjust height with spring rings, then when you have the height right. Hook up the strut up by jacking up the lower mount until the spring is snug and not moving in its cradle..extending or shortening it until the hole lines up.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the official response from BC tech support....

"Sigel,

All height adjustments are done by the spring body itself.

If you lower the spring perch to a point where the spring has no tension on it while the car is in the air, then you need to adjust the shock body itself just enough to where the spring does not have any play and feels snug.

Regards,

Sam"

Reactions: P47R107
1 - 20 of 127 Posts