Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I'm mostly just a loafer as this is my wife's 2010 Gen 3.8 Track. I did quite a bit of reading on the DIY intakes and just wanted to post my personal experience. I originally bought an oiled Spectre Filter, forgot to document part number, that had the 3",3.5", and 4" adapters for the inlet.

Bolted it on and found it to be rather quiet, near stock, unless it was at WOT. Butt dyno says no gains but just a tad bit peppier. I then ordered the dry non-oiled AEM filter, 21-205DK. What a difference. The car sounds throatier, is more responsive, and overall pulls smoother. Slightly louder than the Spectre.

May not be much of a gain but it definitely makes the car more enjoyable to drive. Wife says the car feels like it's perkier and that it's less hesitant to get up and go. It's very evident that AEM is better built and is a more quality filter than Spectre. Common sense, I know, but many claim that a filter is just a filter.

Just thought i'd share my personal experience.

BTW I bought the AEM filter for $33.00 shipped from amazon and the Spectre for $25.99 at Advanced Auto.

Link to filter: AEM 21-205DK 4" Inlet x 5" Element Dryflow Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Use for 15% off: AEMSPRNG

Hope this helps

·
3.8 Track Owner
608 Posts
thanks for that! I have found I prefer non oiled AEM filters the best as well. Better sound, better protection, and you can spot dirt easier.

·
POV Futografee
2,407 Posts
You should remove the air box as well. It actually makes a bit of difference! Just gotta make-shift a bracket (or safetywire) to keep it from flopping around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts