Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first of all, the whole reason I came up with this idea was so that fellow gencoupe owners wouldnt have to spend anywhere over $20 just for some quick releases like those from Quick Latch or from this other company that is selling theirs for $175. So i said screw it and came up with this.

Here's a List of what is needed for this DIY:
(1)Dunlop Dual Design StrapLoks. I believe they only come in silver,gold,brass,and black. If you decide to pick them up in store, mention that they are cheaper on their website and they will price match.

Dunlop Dual-Design Straplok System | GuitarCenter

(1) bag of #6 washers from Home Depot or your local hardware store

(1) #6-32 screws with nuts. (I recommend getting 1 inch screws and a bag of nuts seperate) The ones i used were too long.

(1) pack of 5/16 washers. I think you may be able to buy these seperate. 2 washers will be all you need.

Heres the reciept from Home Depot:

So in TOTAL i spent
$14.49 + $3.64= $18.13

Wayyyyyy cheaper than other places. So anyways on to the instructions.

First, you can either remove you wheel to have more room to work in or do what i did and turn the wheel in the opposite direction in which you are working on.

Next remove the tabs under the bumper that are holding your fender liner.

Remove #1 screw and from here you should be able to pull you bumper out from the tabs or in my case, it was already broken and loose.

Once you pop the bumper out, remove screw #2

I used a big nail to try to mark my drill point on the inside. It is pictured above where the #2 screw should be.

So basically what you do is you hold the nail from the inside and press on the outside of the bumper so that the nail pokes it a bit. Heres a blurry pic.

I used a step drill from the inside to start my hole then drilled from the outside. Make sure u keep measuring with the part. The hole size should be 13/32.

Here's the way the parts will go in order. Anything that is not pictured that came with the locks will not be used.

Start by setting up the outside part of the lock first.

Once the locking pin is in, youre all set with the outside.

Now for the inside.

Start the setup with this:

Make sure its tightened up.

Place it in the hole where #2 screw should be.

Now place a washer and nut on the inside part of the screw and tighten. Double check to make sure its lining up straight.

Push the fender liner back in place and put the tabs back under the bumper.

That should be it. Pretty simple. Here's a video of the test after the installation:

I still need to install the passenger side. Ill try to come up with a template so that you dont have to use the whole NAIL part.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn my fingers were dry lol

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Omg, i thought you seriously took a selfie pic.... didn't realize it was a video link.

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
White 2.0T A/T
772 Posts
great diy! nice work man

·
Registered
48 Posts
awesome!

·
Insert Klever Title Here
1,733 Posts
This is awesome! I like this method a lot better than the ones with the rubber straps and whatnot. This looks much cleaner imo. Kudos man! Subbing for future use :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Awesome DIY! Gonna try this in the near future cause my passenger side is totally effed up!

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
wondered why a selfie was the last pic lol

any thoughts of painting it? maybe use touch up paint on it? It sorta flows with your wheel color, but despite that asshat charging $175, they were color matched (omg $100 color match)

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wondered why a selfie was the last pic lol

any thoughts of painting it? maybe use touch up paint on it? It sorta flows with your wheel color, but despite that asshat charging $175, they were color matched (omg $100 color match)
seto, this is where i might have nelson do the painting

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
I think color matched would like awesome, or do that neochrome stuff, and save about $159.99 from that other foo lol

·
Zosyn who?
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
f*ck that fool

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
The strap locks do rust over time as I'm always replacing them on my basses so some extra painting and clearing would be a good precaution. Love the idea very creative and music inspired!! Good work. I'll be doing this once my bumper finally breaks for good

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is awesome, the pain in the ass process to get the bumper of is whats stopping me from installing my fogs...and in the future IC piping

1 - 20 of 51 Posts