Next remove cotter pins

this are the cotter pins i refer to

Next force rods out

and there wiggle pads and backing out

Remove backing and save in order

·
Insert Klever Title Here
1,733 Posts
The sedan/Equus brakes for sure swap over? Hmm...sub'd!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I know of a few people who ran the equus calipers on the front.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i deside to do this as a DIY, and mods you can change the title to "caliper rebuild" as this will be the same steps for stock brakes and rear brakes, idk bout brembos.

oh and move this to the DIY section
i just ordered the rebuild kit.

this is the kit
Centric Parts Disc Brake Caliper Repair Kit 143 51018 | eBay

·
Super Moderator
13,000 Posts
The sedan/Equus brakes for sure swap over? Hmm...sub'd!
95% interchangeable. You can't use the factory brake lines with the Sedan/Equus calipers but any aftermarket brake line for the GC can be used. I've had my Equus kit installed for over 2 years now, no issues aside from 2010 18" wheel fitment issues. If you've got aftermarket or 19's they fit flawlessly.

Edit: oh and Cris, those "tabs" you pulled from the slide pins are called cotter pins.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95% interchangeable. You can't use the factory brake lines with the Sedan/Equus calipers but any aftermarket brake line for the GC can be used. I've had my Equus kit installed for over 2 years now, no issues aside from 2010 18" wheel fitment issues. If you've got aftermarket or 19's they fit flawlessly.

Edit: oh and Cris, those "tabs" you pulled from the slide pins are called cotter pins.
corrected and thanks

·
Insert Klever Title Here
1,733 Posts

Sweet. I'll definitely have to look in to doing this sometime. Sub'd for progress!

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torque Spec's have been added above

Later today i'll add:

"Caliper disassemble"- Get ready to see some impact gun and brake fluid

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remove it all

ok lets start with brake line

remove brake dust boot with this

and this is it

and you pop it off

next remove the piston

this is then how it looks

and your done go home your drunk
next will be rebuild, just a waiting game now

·
Sleeper!
814 Posts
Nicely done Cris. You can also pop the pistons out of the calipers by using an air compressor, and do it slowly. Always have done it this way. Great job, keep it up. This will be a good guide for those that havent done it before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nicely done Cris. You can also pop the pistons out of the calipers by using an air compressor, and do it slowly. Always have done it this way. Great job, keep it up. This will be a good guide for those that havent done it before.

ya i was worried the pistons where going to be hard, but they came out super easy. IDK if it's because it's dual or mono piston's are tighter, but this was much easyer then i expected.

Also i got the estimated mileage on the car, ~10k.

And there was rust on the piston. So i'd expect you high milage guys might really need this soon

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy F**k it's hard to get this pistons back in

·
Sleeper!
814 Posts
Holy F**k it's hard to get this pistons back in
When your installing the piston is it tipping going in? It has to be a smooth motion going in. You do not want to rock it in. Also you mentioned the pistons were rusted. You will have to clean the pistons and the spots for them or that will cause them to hang up as well.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When your installing the piston is it tipping going in? It has to be a smooth motion going in. You do not want to rock it in. Also you mentioned the pistons were rusted. You will have to clean the pistons and the spots for them or that will cause them to hang up as well.

ya i am thats the hard part. no the rust is external, not on the surface that goes into the cylinder and i lube and clean the piston with DOT4 brake fluid.

Going to get a plank of wood and some c clamps

·
Sleeper!
814 Posts
ya i am thats the hard part. no the rust is external, not on the surface that goes into the cylinder and i lube and clean the piston with DOT4 brake fluid.

Going to get a plank of wood and some c clamps
Yup doing everything right. Well done Sir. Did you end up powdercoating the brembo's or no? Wood and c clamps cant go wrong. Make sure you put a shirt or some thing else on the other side to prevent the c clamp from taking off the paint from the caliper.

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup doing everything right. Well done Sir. Did you end up powdercoating the brembo's or no? Wood and c clamps cant go wrong. Make sure you put a shirt or some thing else on the other side to prevent the c clamp from taking off the paint from the caliper.

going to go with a DIY black paint, the surface facing the wheels is in good condition, sanded and brake cleaner blasted the suckers.

Sending $200 to paint a part i got for $99 seems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts