Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok this has to be a 3.8 mod only. I have the 2.0T and this carbon filter doesn't exist.
Actually....I didn't wanna comment on it first, but I did a SRI install last weekend on my 3.8 and noted that the stock airbox didn't have this filter.

Could be because I have a Euro-spec Genesis or something....I am the only owner of the car, so it hasn't been tampered with before me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Russ140 ... I'd be shocked if they did some sort of gas fume sniffer test out the front of your car. Holler after you pass your smog test ;-) ... good idea on the dremel surgery to make reversible without getting a new airbox lid like I did.
Yeah, I'll report back but it will be about 18 months from now. Hopefully we'll have a few test-cases before then but I agree with you, I have no worries about this mod regarding smog testing, even here in California. As far as the dremel surgery, just a lucky thought at the time...usually I win the award for using the slowest, most destructive method available.:cool:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Actually....I didn't wanna comment on it first, but I did a SRI install last weekend on my 3.8 and noted that the stock airbox didn't have this filter.

Could be because I have a Euro-spec Genesis or something....I am the only owner of the car, so it hasn't been tampered with before me.
Bingo, bullseye ... it's a U.S. emissions thing, hence why your Euro car doesn't have the carbon filter.

·
R-Spec
98 Posts
Ok this has to be a 3.8 mod only. I have the 2.0T and this carbon filter doesn't exist.
Yeah, I was all excited about doing this mod, went to check mine, and I confirm, not carbon filter in the '13 2.0T either.

Had my hopes up too.

Can't even find a K&N filter for it. :squint:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Correct ... this doesn't appy to 2.0T's, nor apparently any Canadian 3.8's (they have all the fresh air they need ;-)

·
DJ Tripp
74 Posts
Used this DIY today, thanks for writing this up, this was a nice mod that should hold me over till I get my Sri :)

·
3 Point Eight'R
151 Posts
This will be getting done as soon as this Bitch Hurricane Sandy isnt in my backyard!!

Thanks for the writeup WITH Pictures!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not on our 2.0 either, but I know when u remove the filter and drive, that's not good for the internals...and really slows down the car, it throws the air/fuel ratio off since the throttle is controlled by computer anyways. Bad mod if u ask me. Not safe

·
Ex-DSMer
3,611 Posts
Not on our 2.0 either, but I know when u remove the filter and drive, that's not good for the internals...and really slows down the car, it throws the air/fuel ratio off since the throttle is controlled by computer anyways. Bad mod if u ask me. Not safe
Wat?
:dunno:

·
, SJ is the man
9 Posts
If I wasn't on my phone that'd be going in my sig. Reminder for that later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Begin by unplugging the sensor on the intake tube by sliding the light grey locking mechanism OUT from the tube, then pinching the tab and sliding the sensor off." What tab are you talking about exactly? i can't find the damn tab

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Correct ... this doesn't appy to 2.0T's, nor apparently any Canadian 3.8's (they have all the fresh air they need ;-)
Canadian spec 3.8 are equipped with the carbon filter, I removed mine when I bought the car 3 years ago.

Its a north american thing, BMW does the same with several of their canada/US spec vehicles.

Just google "carbon filter removal" and you will be linked to quite a few links.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm checking my 2013 3.8, looks slightly different and I don't see any carbon filter...

·
Insert Klever Title Here
1,733 Posts
LOLWUT :rofl:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks to cliffsta, GTIGuy and others for the DIY and other comments on this. I took my carbon filter out today, and the hardest parts were getting the box to unseat from the rubber intake hose (lol), then finding a clean way to snip off those postheads so I could return to stock, if needed. I found a pair of nail scissors, which perfectly got into that narrow channel and also in between head/filter. Slicing the tops off like this left a clean post with no other damage, and the filter slides right back in place tightly enough. I put the filter and little snipped heads away in a ziplock bag, just in case something happens warranty-wise (and because also I take it to the dealer on a full-service plan, so we'll see how that goes). I did NOT reset the ECU, as that seemed a little hokey, to be honest. I'm running the stock filter, again, thanks to comments on this site.

Haven't had any issues yet, other than being amazed at the raw torque upgrade and immediate acceleration! :bowdown:

Combined with the boost (or restoration, depending on how you see it) from ethanol-free premium, this is still quite an upgrade from what I had just weeks ago, when the engine was hesitant, and had to be revved to get into the right powerband, etc. Now, the powerband starts at idle and goes smoothly to redline. I'm sure these two things are worth some 20 horses, but it's the torque and ridiculously smoother acceleration I've really noticed. Wow! What a freakin' no-brainer :D

21 - 40 of 58 Posts