Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
disappointment! Looks like the 13 3.8 does not have a carbon filter. Was so excited that I'd gain an extra mpg or two.

·
i'm on one
481 Posts
Well I removed the carbon filter about a week ago, but I haven't really noticed any difference from before.

My MPG is still about the same, but I suppose there is a little more pep at the lower RPM range, though that could just be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took my carbon filter out tonight and from the short little test run I did, it seems to idle a little better and has a little more pep way down low, but nothing drastic. There's not even a huge difference in the sound. We'll see what the MPG do over time. For the 5 minutes I put into it, I'd still say worth it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Note the results I felt were from removing the carbon filter AND throwing a K&N as well.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just removed my carbon filter... What a difference! My car was always hesitating on shifts 1-2-3... now it's smooth as butter! Noticed a bit of a deeper engine sound also!
Great DIY!

·
3.8 Track Owner
608 Posts
thanks OP great diy cheep mod to add a little kick in the pants and some sound in the intake until I am done fabing my cone filter intake. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Cliffsta, for these instructions!

New 2012 3.8 owner here who just joined. I was looking for info on K&N drop in and found this so I will do both together in the near future.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, if you take the carbon filter out, you need not mess with a K&N. The stock paper filter has the same hi-flow rate as the K&N (with none of the oiling problems). This hi-flow paper is necessary due to the carbon filter being there - together they are like an ordinary paper filter on a car with no carbon. You can still do a K&N, but there will be no performance benefit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Going to probably do this on my 2012 3.8GT in the next day or 2, just wondered how many of you guys without intakes have done this?

Any more thoughts on if K&N drop in would be of benefit too?

·
Registered
948 Posts
41 - 58 of 58 Posts