Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Yes, pretty much any aftermarket exhaust will have to be modified to fit within the confines of the hitch as the Gen Coupe design has whole's fabricated into the hitch design to accomodate the stock routing of both tail pipes. When I installed mine, I had to do the it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Guys how about pulling a jetski, i saw the oicture of the blue genny pulling the jetski. Does anyone know that particular person, have they had any trouble pulling it. Because i am planning to do the same.

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
Yes, pretty much any aftermarket exhaust will have to be modified to fit within the confines of the hitch as the Gen Coupe design has whole's fabricated into the hitch design to accomodate the stock routing of both tail pipes. When I installed mine, I had to do the it.
Can I ask you elaborate on the modification you needed to perform to get the hitch to fit?

I'd really love to be able to take the wifey and I's bikes on a road trip so we could bike everywhere. (^_^)

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Do you happen to have a picture of your modification to your hitch
The Hitch was not modified, the exhaust is. That is what I meant. In this case, most of the dual tip exhausts won't fit. Mine was like that, so I cut them off and had a muffler shop weld the stock pipes back in that fit through the hitch. Nice sleeper look.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Guys how about pulling a jetski, i saw the oicture of the blue genny pulling the jetski. Does anyone know that particular person, have they had any trouble pulling it. Because i am planning to do the same.
V6 shouldn't have too much trouble. 2.0t may depending on environment and conditions.

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Can I ask you elaborate on the modification you needed to perform to get the hitch to fit?

I'd really love to be able to take the wifey and I's bikes on a road trip so we could bike everywhere. (^_^)
See above where I elaborated for someone else. The hitch isn't modified, the exhaust is to fit the hitch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am supposed to be getting my Curt tomorrow, I have read on more than a few places that the hitch itself has to be modded to mount to a 2015 3.8. They said the 12's fit perfect, and the OP's was not a '15. I currently have stock exhaust so hopefully it will go smooth. I plan on carrying 2 bikes with mine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a CURT trailer hitch installed with an Injen exhaust. The CURT hitches dont work well with aftermarket exhausts. The stock exhaust has has a single pipe coming out before the end tip which the CURT hitch tucks in next to. Aftermarket exhausts with dual tips are wider and will hit the hitch.

With the Injen, it took a bit of work to make the hitch still fit. First, the exhaust has to be fitted a bit higher on the hangers so the tips are raised up, very close to the bumper. I've got about 1cm clearance. Then on the sides of the hitches, I had to dremel/saw part of the hitch bar so it wouldnt touch the exhaust tips. I was able to get about another 1cm clearance. That seems to be enough as I'm not getting any rubbing.

Note though that by sawing part of the hitch pipe, it is compromising the strength of the hitch. I only use mine to carry my aluminum rack and carbon fiber bike, which at most is 50lbs combined. So the hitch is still holding strong. But I wouldnt pull a jetski like above. :)

Edit: Someone suggested modifying parts of the exhaust tips to make it fit but honestly, these CURT hitches are cheap. I got mine on sale for about $100 shipped so to me it made more sense mucking with the hitch then trying to touch the more costlier exhaust.

·
Se habla Español
350 Posts
I have a CURT trailer hitch installed with an Injen exhaust. The CURT hitches dont work well with aftermarket exhausts. The stock exhaust has has a single pipe coming out before the end tip which the CURT hitch tucks in next to. Aftermarket exhausts with dual tips are wider and will hit the hitch.

With the Injen, it took a bit of work to make the hitch still fit. First, the exhaust has to be fitted a bit higher on the hangers so the tips are raised up, very close to the bumper. I've got about 1cm clearance. Then on the sides of the hitches, I had to dremel/saw part of the hitch bar so it wouldnt touch the exhaust tips. I was able to get about another 1cm clearance. That seems to be enough as I'm not getting any rubbing.

Note though that by sawing part of the hitch pipe, it is compromising the strength of the hitch. I only use mine to carry my aluminum rack and carbon fiber bike, which at most is 50lbs combined. So the hitch is still holding strong. But I wouldnt pull a jetski like above. :)

Edit: Someone suggested modifying parts of the exhaust tips to make it fit but honestly, these CURT hitches are cheap. I got mine on sale for about $100 shipped so to me it made more sense mucking with the hitch then trying to touch the more costlier exhaust.

Mmm I don't suppose I could ask for a pic of the install from underneath? Pretty please. :)

I've been trying to compare the exhaust tip fitment from the Injen with my Ark Grip and they are different...I just can't determine where you needed to modify.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts