Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
I stripped one of the bottom ending nuts a little bit since I didn't have a 19 mm socket, so I had to improvise a little. Anyone happen to have the part number for that nut? Or the specs so I can buy one at home depot or something? Thanks
Your dealership will have them in stock, they're a buck or two each, I had to replace one when I under torqued it and it spun off. You won't find a locking nut like that anywhere except a specialty fastener company, like a commercial supplier, and you'll have to buy them in a pack.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks. What happened when it spun off? Did you lose control of the car, was it drivable after etc

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Thanks. What happened when it spun off? Did you lose control of the car, was it drivable after etc
No, nothing like that. It was one of the rear endlinks, I was working on the car again less than a week after installing the sway bars and noticed it was missing, probably fell off the day before, all I did was commute to work that week so I wasn't pushing the car hard, it didn't act unusually. It's not advisable to drive a car like this with a disconnected endlink but it's not immediately dangerous during normal driving.

Lesson learned, be sure to torque all the endlink nuts to ~50 lb/ft!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah gonna torque my down. Where are u finding the torque specs? Or off the top of your head, the end links are 50 what are the torque specs for the 14 mm bolts on the sway bar bracket?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
Yeah gonna torque my down. Where are u finding the torque specs? Or off the top of your head, the end links are 50 what are the torque specs for the 14 mm bolts on the sway bar bracket?
36-47 lbs for the bracket bolts, I did mine at 45-50. The sway bar endlink nuts are actually listed as 72-86 lbs in the shop manual but honestly they don't need that much, as long as you get them to 50+ they are fine.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
I did mine on stands which unloads the suspension, had no issues getting the endlinks off and back on, even if I did I would have been able to compress the suspension with my jack. Doing it on ramps might be an issue with the suspension loaded, not sure on this platform, you can try it and if it fights you switch to stands.

Now, after install and driving the car for a while you'll want to do a check to make sure your endlink nuts are still tight, that you can do on ramps with the suspension loaded.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did mine on stands which unloads the suspension, had no issues getting the endlinks off and back on, even if I did I would have been able to compress the suspension with my jack. Doing it on ramps might be an issue with the suspension loaded, not sure on this platform, you can try it and if it fights you switch to stands.

Now, after install and driving the car for a while you'll want to do a check to make sure your endlink nuts are still tight, that you can do on ramps with the suspension loaded.
I was just curious because i did youtube a install on a gen coupe (2013) and the person had it on Rhinoramps. I was just wondering if there is a major difference doing that way compared to jack stands.

As far as your other note goes, thanks for that! I will make sure and do so!!

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
If someone else has done it then you should be fine. Some people recommend ramps so that when you tighten everything it's already under load, but as I said as long as you recheck everything after driving it for a little while shouldn't matter what you use.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If someone else has done it then you should be fine. Some people recommend ramps so that when you tighten everything it's already under load, but as I said as long as you recheck everything after driving it for a little while shouldn't matter what you use.
Well lesson learned, i tried it on ramps and it the nut on the end link's did not come off, had to put the car on ramps!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts