9,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
has anyone done this for 13?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Surge Tank Gasket vs. Intake Manifold Gaskets??

Why did Grimmspeed create a surge tank gasket to break the transfer of heat between the surge tank and the intake manifold? Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the intake manifold gaskets that are below the air intake manifold to shield the heat from coming off the top of the engine? I did some searching and couldn't find any aftermarket intake manifold gaskets... Thoughts?? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Why did Grimmspeed create a surge tank gasket to break the transfer of heat between the surge tank and the intake manifold? Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the intake manifold gaskets that are below the air intake manifold to shield the heat from coming off the top of the engine? I did some searching and couldn't find any aftermarket intake manifold gaskets... Thoughts?? :dunno:
If you put a thick spacer on the head mating surface the bolt holes for the lower manifold will not match up since it's taking up more space in the valley.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you put a thick spacer on the head mating surface the bolt holes for the lower manifold will not match up since it's taking up more space in the valley.
Based on pics I've seen - have yet to pull the full intake manifold off to see it in person - the stock gasket looks fairly thick. Grimmpeed's current spacer looks thicker but couldn't they come up with a replacement gasket with the same thickness that uses different technology to be a heat barrier? I have almost paper thin metallic heat barrier that shields at least 100 degrees. Just wondering why they haven't worked on that design....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1stgengen
4,533 Posts
The lower manifold portion of the intake is not really large enough to transfer much heat to incoming air IMO. The surge tank itself can soak a lot of heat due to its mass and it is therefore much more practical and simpler to make a single phelonic spacer to fit between the surge tank and lower manifold than two gaskets to fit between the lower manifold and the head. Also, the inherent V shape of the lower intake manifold would complicate install. If you add 4mm of spacer on both intake sides, then the like monkey said, the bolts would not line up.

The stock gaskets between the manifold and the head are pretty standard pressed metal gaskets, not too thick. Using a silicon based material or perhaps a metallic element like you said between the head and the manifold would probably produce minimal results at best. The lower manifold just doesn't have the surface area to really effect air temps compared to the surge tank.

That just might be the gin and tonic talkin' though...

·
13' GenCoupe 3.8 GT
12 Posts
No drawbacks with this. All of our products are tested in the minnesotian winter ... which is coooold.

Send me a message when you are ready to order and I'll help you out on the price a bit.
Old post, but you still offering a discount sir?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would it be even more effective cooling to make a small fresh air intake with a minor " snorkle" in the hood above the manifold? This would give the manifold a constant air cooling, and probably lower the temp drastically.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts