Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
In the game since '85
151 Posts
Or just take some pictures. I been hearing that the rear is the pain in the ass.
The back is easier than the front... Took much less time and you don't have to take it apart...
I posted some pictures before...

·
Fought to Live
230 Posts
Well I just finished installing the Tein's and Eibach spacers. The fronts took longer by far, but I had never used a spring compressor before, so that took a majority of the time.

The backs I did not take the struts out, just removed the two bolts closest to the rotor, and undid the four bolts that hold the sway bar to the bottom of the car.

I would strongly urge anyone attempting this to use an impact wrench!

And since I did the entire install by myself, and being I am legit crippled, it took me about 7 hours total, including having to grab some tools I didn't have. Obviously having a second person would help immensely. All in all, its pretty self explanatory once you get the wheels off and take a look at everything. I'll post some pics up later.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well I just finished installing the Tein's and Eibach spacers. The fronts took longer by far, but I had never used a spring compressor before, so that took a majority of the time.

The backs I did not take the struts out, just removed the two bolts closest to the rotor, and undid the four bolts that hold the sway bar to the bottom of the car.

I would strongly urge anyone attempting this to use an impact wrench!

And since I did the entire install by myself, and being I am legit crippled, it took me about 7 hours total, including having to grab some tools I didn't have. Obviously having a second person would help immensely. All in all, its pretty self explanatory once you get the wheels off and take a look at everything. I'll post some pics up later.
pictures?

·
Registered
414 Posts
So I put my springs on and have had my car aligned and re aligned and it is still pulling hard to the left. The guy who aligned my car said that I need to camber bolts for the front.
SPC Alignment Components - EZ Cam XR ACURA EL BASE 2001 - 2002 1.7 81261

Will these work???

Also my steering wheel is shaking bad over like 60 mph.
Anybody have this problem?

·
Robot Over-Lord of Pangea
2,174 Posts
Mines good with the springs. I had a bit of shake after I installed spacers even though they were hub centric. i removed and reinstalled and it was much better / Gone.

If you need camber bolts you may have a bent component under there. No issues before the springs??????

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'll be doing this in a few weeks..how much time should I budget for first attempt?
If you've never done something like this before I'd say about 4 hours max.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great write up. Took 3 hrs for me by myself, mainly cause I was checking stuff out

·
Registered
282 Posts
This thread was a very helpful with good info. I factored in a whole day to be sure I wasn't rushed. Used Part Source's tool loan program to borrow their spring compressor. I was all set and ready to go, but I ended spending the whole day and didn't get one spring changed.

Here is why. My car is a daily driven and has seen 3 cold, slushy winters. It is also parked outdoors year round. All of the daily wear and tear pretty much seized up all of the bolts. I started with the rear driver's side. It took extra time getting the bolts, off. Got the spring out, put in the new spring, then proceeded to put it back together again. For some reason, the control arm just wouldn't line back up straight with the shock assembly. From there, I lost the rest of the day. by late afternoon, I was exhausted and still nowhere able to get the one control arm back together.

I was extremely frustrated by this time. It was Saturday evening and the shops were already closing for the day. Even if they were still open, I couldn't move the car on just 3 wheels!

Luckily, a good friend's boyfriend was a really good mechanic. Called him and
explained my situation. He picked up some tools from his garage and drove across GTA to help. Took him, a bigger and strong guy, with better tools a half hour to get it all back to where I started off. It was already 11pm when he showed up so I wasn't going to have him change the other 3 knowing how badly seized all the bolts were.

A couple of days later, I carefully drove to his garage. (I messed with the camber and toe adjustment bolts to try and get enough play to reassemble the control arm so my alignment was dangerously out of whack). I paid him to install my springs. During the install, he took out all of the suspension bolts and put on a generous amount of anti-seize. He did great work and I'm so happy with the results.

Some things I learned from that experience:
- I'm not as young and strong as I use to be;
- I really learned how suspension components are connected and how they work;
- road salt can really seize all of the car's parts;
- Hyundai doesn't use any, or uses minimal anti-seize;
- have a backup plan for when the install doesn't go as planned;
- be prepared to pay for professional help.

I'm not trying to scare anyone from changing their springs. In fact, I encourage everyone to try things for themselves like so many have already been able to do. I just to want to caution inexperienced people, to assess the following before they start:
- Assess your tools;
- Assess your strength and dexterity;
- Assess your vehicle's current condition;
- Do you have a back-up plan if you get stuck?

Best of luck to all.

PS: I had the Eibach Pro-kit with and Eibach 20mm spacers installed. Looks much better. I think the Sportlines would have been more my taste, but I'm not prepared for the higher risk of blown shocks at this time.

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
Just installed the Eibach Sportsline 2 weeks ago on my 2012 base 2.0T. I did it on my driveway by myself and took about 6hrs, it was the first time doing it on a GC. I had all the right tools, air compressor, impact gun, spring compressor, etc... the thing that took the longest for me was the sway bar links in the front. Both fronts I had to struggle with the links because the threads were caught in the mounting hole, I eventually had to keep wiggling the strut(with one of the 3 top mounting bolts still caught in the strut tower as well) to pop the link off, NOT FUN! The rear was a lot easier than the front, and definitely much easier if you had an extra jack to help with lining up the control arms. Overall it's worth it, saved about $200-300 not having to ask a shop to install them for me, and not having to drive a stock height Genesis SUV is aways a bonus!:D

If you are installing the Eibach Sportsline, I strongly suggest anyone to not cut the rear bump stops as much as the Eibach instructions tells you, they say cut 17mm off(maybe cut 12mm should be enough), and I followed Eibach's instruction, and now I have the strut(s) hitting the dust guard once in a while, so a sound that I will hear when the GC go over a bigger bump on the road will be like the sound of something hitting a empty paper towel tube. So if anyone have their OEM rear bump stops for a 2.0T that they don't need and doesn't mind selling/giving them to me, I would totally appreciate it!!

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
quick update, I was driving around with the dust guard in the rears hitting the top of the struts for a whole month, and I finally got around to fixing that when I received and installed my Sportsline TE.6 wheels. I had to reshape the bump stops by cutting pieces off, to allow the dust guard to marry to the bump stops again. After doing that, the dust guard doesn't flow around no more, and the top of the strut is hitting the bump stops instead of the dust guard now. NO MORE NOISE OVER BUMPS!!! yay

·
Registered
58 Posts
quick update, I was driving around with the dust guard in the rears hitting the top of the struts for a whole month, and I finally got around to fixing that when I received and installed my Sportsline TE.6 wheels. I had to reshape the bump stops by cutting pieces off, to allow the dust guard to marry to the bump stops again. After doing that, the dust guard doesn't flow around no more, and the top of the strut is hitting the bump stops instead of the dust guard now. NO MORE NOISE OVER BUMPS!!! yay
Nice. How does it ride?

81 - 100 of 135 Posts