Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
Nice. How does it ride?
Overall, after the drop with Eibach Sportline, the ride feels slightly stiffer/tighter... after fixing the bump stop & dust guard issue, 1000% happier, Eibach's instruction is not complete, they don't warn you that there will be an issue created with the dust guard after following what they say to cut the bump stop. After the new wheels, f-ing awesome!!! car feel much more planted on the road, where the stock wheel/tire combo fish tail quite easily when crossing into boost(my GC not stock), but with these new rollers, they grip!

·
That guy...
221 Posts
Good Morning GenCoupers

I followed this DIY yesterday to put on a set of Tein STech lowering springs. It was really helpful and a BIG thank you to the OP.

I did it in about 4.5 hours with help for about an hour of that time. I took a couple breaks and I wasnt in a hurry to finish. I DID NOT USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR. if you are going to use one make sure its the double bar type that attach to the outside. I stupidly got ont that sits inside the spring, however if i was going to do it again I wouldnt waste my time with one. I used an impact gun to undo the retaining nut and a fat friend to compress the spring. (not recomended but it worked)

I got hung up on the rears because the bolt holding the control arm to the brake assembly kept getting jammed at an angle even with the arm jacked up. I used an impact gun to take out the bolt (no damage to thread but I wouldnt recomend it).

If you're impatient I would not do this alone, took me a while to hammer the control arm into place becuase my floor jack was moving it back and forth and keeping it from lining up properly. I also had to loosen up the strut brace for the fronts to allign properly.

CUT THE BUMP STOPS! your back will thank you

overall I would say anyone with a little mechanical skill could do this with some patients. the hard parts to me werent even technical, just using muscle was the hardest part in my opinion. wouldnt recomend hand tools though I used all air tools.

the picture below sits the car right next to my roommates 2013, and you cant really tell but mine is significantly lower, you can tell that the wheel gap is gone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
followed this because even tho I have had 30+ lowered cars this one is a lot different. sucks having to break loose the camber bolts which was a first for me. great write up tho took me 2 hrs by myself with only hand tools and no pry bar "couldn't find it". cut bump stops and installed ksport gt 2.0 drop flame if you like I had great luck with them on my 07 si 30k miles before I totaled on a deer and rode the same as day one and still looked brand new

·
Too Soon Junior
50 Posts
First time working on suspension ever, so it took me a LONG time. I had a friend help the majority of the time as well. One of the bottom strut bolts were awful and stuck. A lot of WD-40 & rubber mallet later, it popped out.

I got the rears done, really easy with a buddy, trust me on no spring compressors here, they just fall out when you step on the control arm! For the fronts, I used the spring compressors.

Make sure you torque everything down afterwards for no squeaks, clunks, or rattles!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Overall, after the drop with Eibach Sportline, the ride feels slightly stiffer/tighter... after fixing the bump stop & dust guard issue, 1000% happier, Eibach's instruction is not complete, they don't warn you that there will be an issue created with the dust guard after following what they say to cut the bump stop. After the new wheels, f-ing awesome!!! car feel much more planted on the road, where the stock wheel/tire combo fish tail quite easily when crossing into boost(my GC not stock), but with these new rollers, they grip!
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how you adapted the bump stops would you? I cut mine to their specifications also and my dust guards make the noise :(

·
That guy...
221 Posts
How do u mark the camber bolts?
silver sharpie, shouldn't matter because the second you take the car off the jacks, you should be heading to your alignment appointment

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of how you adapted the bump stops would you? I cut mine to their specifications also and my dust guards make the noise :(
I don't have pics, sorry, I'm on coils now anyways.

what i did for the bump stops was to shape the bottom end with a knife so the dust guard can pop back on to it... problem solved! I did it for both my car and my buddy's and it works, just be patient and don't cut off too much at once, a little at a time otherwise you can't undo and forced to buy new bump stops.

Good luck!

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
silver sharpie, shouldn't matter because the second you take the car off the jacks, you should be heading to your alignment appointment
seriously? you gotta be kidding right!? what ever happened to letting the springs settle for a week? pay for alignment twice when the suspension settles??

·
That guy...
221 Posts
seriously? you gotta be kidding right!? what ever happened to letting the springs settle for a week? pay for alignment twice when the suspension settles??
Uhhhlulwut... are YOU kidding ME? go to a better shop

first off I spent the money to get a one year warranty with unlimited adjustments to the alignment, total cost 125$ day of and got an alignment. if you want to chew up your tires for a week that's on you, I've gone back 3 times since then to have it adjusted, and I haven't paid a dime... 3 degrees of camber on the rears, toe in every direction, the tech was surprised I made it in without spinning out and after my first time going back there was no change in the alignment

/rekt

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
Uhhhlulwut... are YOU kidding ME? go to a better shop

first off I spent the money to get a one year warranty with unlimited adjustments to the alignment, total cost 125$ day of and got an alignment. if you want to chew up your tires for a week that's on you, I've gone back 3 times since then to have it adjusted, and I haven't paid a dime... 3 degrees of camber on the rears, toe in every direction, the tech was surprised I made it in without spinning out and after my first time going back there was no change in the alignment

/rekt
Good for you that your shop is willing to do that for you at no extra charge, not every shop is as willing.

It might have been better if you included the part about the springs will settle and realignment will be needed, unless thats not something you know. So a bit of misinformation and to be corrected is no big deal.

·
That guy...
221 Posts
Good for you that your shop is willing to do that for you at no extra charge, not every shop is as willing.

It might have been better if you included the part about the springs will settle and realignment will be needed, unless thats not something you know. So a bit of misinformation and to be corrected is no big deal.
:gc-free-sign-smiley

Tire Kingdom - 89$ with 6 months warranty (includes adjustments)
125$- 1 year warranty (includes adjustments)

(Nationwide of course)

it should be implied by reading through this thread that the suspension will settle out and any one with a lick of common sense knows that the geometry will change over the life of the springs and control arm bushing in a never ending cycle of decay.

next time if you're trying to help someone out, direct your response to that person instead of trying to make me look like an idiot. unless that's something you don't know...

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts
it should be implied by reading through this thread that the suspension will settle out and any one with a lick of common sense knows that the geometry will change over the life of the springs and control arm bushing in a never ending cycle of decay.
these are knowledge that you and I and 'maybe' a few more people know, but still many many more that don't, so either missing or forgetting to mention the info in full could potentially make the matter worst, can't just always assume that people will read through the whole thread for information... people already are too lazy to do the 'search' already!

I replied the way I did because I felt the way you suggested with the alignment right off the jack is the only thing they will ever need, but that's coming from someone that 'knows' and I wasn't intentionally making you sound like an idiot. However, like I keep saying, springs settling after a week of driving on average, and the alignment is off again isn't a common knowledge, and suggested alignment yearly also isn't a common knowledge(to your point with springs and suspension components decay), there are so many shady shops out there that doesn't educate their customers because all they want to do is make a quick buck off of the one time customers, it helps to just point that little bit extra info out(because I know you only wanted to help). not to mention the idiots driving slammed civics with +45degree camber around town and telling people at car meets that oh it's ok that I'm driving on my side walls... makes even more uneducated people think those kind of sh!ts are ok...

·
That guy...
221 Posts
I agree with your points and I respect your opinions, no hard feelings eh?

·
I don't know any better
214 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
This DIY is awesome. I'm still nervous about compressing the springs for the install.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did my rspec yesterday with factory hyundai springs. Dropped car about an inch. Rides nice and took me about 2 hrs to do it. The only issue I had was the front top mounts had to be lined up perfect to get them to go down all the way. My car has 500k on it so everything came apart nice

101 - 120 of 135 Posts