Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

561 - 580 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got my catch can, and want to install it on the driver side. The tubing my kit came with, worked from the catchcan to the manifold, but not from the line to the catch can. Besides getting bigger tubing, do I need to use the bigger inlet as well, or can I use the 2 smaller male plugs and just get bigger tubing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

I installed a catch can. And I'm reading slightly less vaccum now, going from 20 mmHG to 19 mmHG at idle. It's really minor but just wanted to check with you guys.

I mean it makes sense because there is more volume from the can and tube and the same amount of suck...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Used search by didn't find the answer for my question. I found some catch cans on eBay with small air filter on it. Could somebody please explain what is the purpose of this filter and can we use such catch cans on 2.0T GC or not?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ya, I'm wondering about the breathers as well, mine doesn't have one of course and I thought I read somewhere that the 2.0t doesn't need any.

For all you guys that have a catchcan, did your throttle response improve after? Mine certainly did, and for sure it's not in my head due to switching back to stock twice for certain purposes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Used search by didn't find the answer for my question. I found some catch cans on eBay with small air filter on it. Could somebody please explain what is the purpose of this filter and can we use such catch cans on 2.0T GC or not?
Ya, I'm wondering about the breathers as well, mine doesn't have one of course and I thought I read somewhere that the 2.0t doesn't need any.

For all you guys that have a catchcan, did your throttle response improve after? Mine certainly did, and for sure it's not in my head due to switching back to stock twice for certain purposes.
The filter you are referring to is a breather filter and they are meant for the passenger side that reroutes back into the intake (just cap the hole on your intake). This side is not under vacuum so it will just blow out the gas as it needs to.

The driver side needs a closed loop because it is under vacuum so you have to reroute it back into the intake manifold. Using a breather on this side basically gives you boost leak.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,890 Posts
The filter you are referring to is a breather filter and they are meant for the passenger side that reroutes back into the intake (just cap the hole on your intake). This side is not under vacuum so it will just blow out the gas as it needs to.

The driver side needs a closed loop because it is under vacuum so you have to reroute it back into the intake manifold. Using a breather on this side basically gives you boost leak.
Not true. Both sides need to be closed. The Theta and Lamda engines must run under a constant vacuum by design. Under boost the PCV valve closes and the vacuum for the engine comes from the inlet of the turbo. This is simply a matter of changing the sources of vacuum for the engine block. Running without constant vacuum can harm the engine seals and fails to scavenge the blow-by properly.

Use search. This has been discussed on here quite a bit and I think Snoopy has some pretty detailed information on this exact issue. Run closed cans on both sides and you should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not true. Both sides need to be closed. The Theta and Lamda engines must run under a constant vacuum by design. Under boost the PCV valve closes and the vacuum for the engine comes from the inlet of the turbo. This is simply a matter of changing the sources of vacuum for the engine block. Running without constant vacuum can harm the engine seals and fails to scavenge the blow-by properly.

Use search. This has been discussed on here quite a bit and I think Snoopy has some pretty detailed information on this exact issue. Run closed cans on both sides and you should be fine.
Thank you for detailed answer. I will get closed cans on both sides.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Thank you for detailed answer. I will get closed cans on both sides.
Ok let me rephrase that, most people (look back at all of the pics and setups that people have posted on this thread) run a breather on the passenger side and cap the port on their intake pipe. Some manufactures even design their cans with this purpose.

Some people says it harms their engines and prefer to run closed loop on the passenger side (to each their own) Hell some people leave the hole on the crank case on the passenger side completely open venting to atmosphere! (Dirtyloud does this)

I agree that running closed loop on both sides will aid in drawing the most blow by out being the most efficient but do not think it is a "requirement".

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,953 Posts
The air filter doesn't do anything on the passenger side. The normal flow when the engine is in vacuum is going into the valve cover to provide fresh air for what is bring drawn out through the PCV valve. When in boost the PCV closes and there is a slight pressure buildup in the crankcase so the air on the passenger side reverses direction and takes some oil mist with it. There really is little collected in the passenger side can and what thee is is almost pure oil. Not the case on the PCV side where you get the gunky water/oil/gas mix.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,890 Posts
Ok let me rephrase that, most people (look back at all of the pics and setups that people have posted on this thread) run a breather on the passenger side and cap the port on their intake pipe. Some manufactures even design their cans with this purpose.

Some people says it harms their engines and prefer to run closed loop on the passenger side (to each their own) Hell some people leave the hole on the crank case on the passenger side completely open venting to atmosphere! (Dirtyloud does this)

I agree that running closed loop on both sides will aid in drawing the most blow by out being the most efficient but do not think it is a "requirement".
I distinctly remember Snoopy stating that Hyundai Canada (not Hyundai USA) will void the entire engine warranty on a 2.0 if you run a breather off the valve cover (passenger side). I am aware some people do this, but there are two reasons to run that vacuum hose from the intake to the valve cover; EPA requirements and engine requirements. I could care less about the EPA, but the second one concerns me.

Do some reading on the various catch can threads here and make your own conclusion. Realistically, unless you are on boost a lot I cannot see being off vacuum momentarily being that harmful. Just my opinion.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,953 Posts
The only thing engine wise that would happen if you used an air filter on the passenger side is some oil could possibly get sprayed out of it if the catch can didn't collect it. The filter would still filter the air entering the valve cover for fresh air makeup. Vacuum has nothing to do with it.

What you guys are referring to about vacuum is the second hose on the pre turbo intake only on manual trans cars.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The only thing engine wise that would happen if you used an air filter on the passenger side is some oil could possibly get sprayed out of it if the catch can didn't collect it. The filter would still filter the air entering the valve cover for fresh air makeup. Vacuum has nothing to do with it.

What you guys are referring to about vacuum is the second hose on the pre turbo intake only on manual trans cars.
Exactly...Thank you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wanted to use this write up to install my catch cans but all the pictures are "broken." It seems like all of the older write ups have broken pictures. =( It doesn't matter what browser I use - Chrome or Firefox.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I wanted to use this write up to install my catch cans but all the pictures are "broken." It seems like all of the older write ups have broken pictures. =( It doesn't matter what browser I use - Chrome or Firefox.
That's because they are no longer in the photo gallery on the original web host.

It is not a matter of which browser you're using. The owner removed the photos.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've had my dual catch can installed for a few thousand km and yet to see anything come out when i try to empty it.
Me too.

I installed 2 catch cans last summer. One is a Mishimoto with a divider for the center chamber and a brass filter on the suction port inside the can. That one has a quick drain and hose. The other is a Greddy catch can with a site level that my brother-in-law gave me. I just uninstalled the Greddy and kept the Mishi on the turbo side. Now the PCV side goes straight to the intake like from stock.

-Neither can has enough oil to pour out.
-I took the Geddy apart and as it turns out, it's a cheapo with no baffles, chambers or anything. The 2 ports are side by each with nothing between them. There's a light film of oil on the interior of the can but that's it.

Tomorrow I need to take the Mishi apart and check to see if it has anything in it. Since I'm not collecting anything, I'm keeping the Mishi but the Greddy is history. I'll try the Mishi on both sides and see if it does anything. It was on the PCV side before, I just switched it up when I got rid of the other.

The Mishi is mounted to the bracket for the power steering reservoir (lower than the vent itself, a little on the warm side). The Greddy was mounted to where the washer fluid bottle used to be (very low, forward and cool).

I'm going to check for dips and bends and see if I can straighten them out tomorrow. I'm reading through this thread looking for tips. It's not rocket science though, I think my driving habits just don't produce a lot of blow by.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got my dual catch cans installed and can show off the new pipes and the ground straps.

Lots of cleaning to do under there...but at least it works and I have the time to make it shiny again.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks red, i will have second one too, i had one insalled but was too long i have ordered second one and i will install it next week. I just want to check if this is on good position and can not do my geni some problems.

561 - 580 of 600 Posts