Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

581 - 600 of 600 Posts

·
Boost Addict
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
I wanted to use this write up to install my catch cans but all the pictures are "broken." It seems like all of the older write ups have broken pictures. =( It doesn't matter what browser I use - Chrome or Firefox.
Super late response I know, but check out post 524 for a PDF of the install including all the original photos. Same goes for any of my other DIY's, I've added PDF's after I switched servers.

http://www.gencoupe.com/2305706-post524.html

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
2015 3.8 GDI MT
172 Posts
I have a 3.8. I learned very little from Snoopys dual can install. It was much easier to figure out on my own. All I did was replace 1 little existing pipe with a catch can. I had to find a reducer from 1/2" to 3/8" since that's what the OEM part did. Otherwise, I bought some 3/8" fuel hose and put the inlet pipe to "in" and outlet pipe to "out". I mounted my can to my heat shield for an AEM intake.
The install took 30 minutes. Looks nice, works great.

Taking off the front bumper and all the other disassembly involved in that diy is way out there for me. There is no need in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ahh Snoppy's advice was mostly for the 2.0L Turbo since it keeps the crap out of the intake and intercooler more in the cooler weather conditions. I'm not sure what a catch can would do for a V6.

Bruce

·
Cone Killa
375 Posts
On the V6 it catches a bunch of junk that the PCV line would otherwise send into the intake.
Do you know where the PCV is located on a BK1 3.8? Also where on the intake is it hooked up to?

Is there any complete "plug and play" catch can solution for the BK1 3.8?

I've searched and haven't really found a conclusive answer.

Thanks.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Pardon me if someone already answered this in the previous 30 pages...

But has anyone used a 3-port oil catch can and routed the PCV and CCV hoses to one catch can?
Would there be any issues with this?
Obviously I would have to use a "Y" hose joint on the outlet hose, which is not standard. But if its just air that is vented out there shouldn't be much issue, right?

Considering the mishimoto 3-port rather than two separate cans for my BK1 3.8.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,615 Posts
Pardon me if someone already answered this in the previous 30 pages...

But has anyone used a 3-port oil catch can and routed the PCV and CCV hoses to one catch can?
Would there be any issues with this?
Obviously I would have to use a "Y" hose joint on the outlet hose, which is not standard. But if its just air that is vented out there shouldn't be much issue, right?

Considering the mishimoto 3-port rather than two separate cans for my BK1 3.8.
You only need one can on NA engines, just the PCV valve side.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
You only need one can on NA engines, just the PCV valve side.
Okay thanks well that makes it easier!
I was reading interiamonster 's write up on the DIY for the 3.8, which is why I thought both sides would be useful for track abuse.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Gotcha, thanks Red.

I'll just run the PCV side for now and check for oil in the TB after a track day.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,086 Posts
I've never collected oil in the vent side can but mine is just a street car. If you track the car I would recommend the second can, another member that tracked his car (I forget his user name now but I think he is long inactive here) installed his cans at the same time as mine (same cans, similar install) and he would routinely pull several ounces of oil from the vent can.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Awesome thanks inertia

Yeah I saw a video of someone with a 3.8 who installed a can on the CCV side because he was getting oil in the intake, so that's what made me think it was necessary. I don't want to be sucking that stuff up in my intake.

Thinking outside the box here, but would the CCV side even need to be routed back to the intake?
The air pressure wouldn't be the same from the crankcase to the intake anyway.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,086 Posts
You could just put a breather on the vent but then those vapors will vent under the hood. The other option is to install a small oil separator inline with the vent hose, it won't have the capacity of a catch can but on daily driving it won't collect anything anyway and the install would be easier, you'd just have to check it frequently while at the track.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Oh no that wasn't my plan.
Typically people route the crankcase to the catch can, and catch can to the intake.
I was thinking about routing the CCV to a catch can, and capping the intake connection.
Like follows:
Existing:
Crankcase ---------------------- Intake
Planned:
Crankcase ----- catch can. Intake(now separate)

(Period denotes end of system, dash denotes vent line). Sorry didn't have a picture handy

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Unless you get oil in the pre TB intake track there is no need for it. The oil only gets blown out if the piston rings are bad on a NA engine.
Update:
https://imgur.com/8jEo056

Found oil in my intake manifold. (This was without even running any track days, just spirited driving). So I did as I planned, routed the CCV to the catch can as well. Will upload photos tonight or tomorrow.

·
Irresponsible Rookie
72 Posts
Here's my Mishimoto-style 3 port catch can installation.
It was a really simple and cheap idea, all in all under $40.
- The catch can, was just $25ish from eBay. I was actually really surprised with the quality, the aluminum felt sturdy and the baffle system was really similar to the real brand. The lid and o-ring construction gives an air tight seal. And you can rotate the top to point in whichever direction is best for you.
- 3/8 vacuum hose from auto parts store
- various vacuum hose caps
- 5/8 PCV/fuel hose from auto parts store
- various hose clamps

I needed to route the CCV to the catch can, because there was some oil residue in the intake tube (not pictured)
I needed route the PCV to the catch can, because I had oil in the intake manifold:
https://imgur.com/a/ML9G4kv

So I capped the intake line with a vacuum hose cap. And routed the CCV side (far right) to the catch-can inlet. Then routed the PCV side (under throttle body) to the other inlet. Then routed the catch-can outlet to the PCV inlet to the intake manifold (maybe I could have just capped this as well, but I didn't want to risk causing problems due to pressure differences).
https://imgur.com/a/fU7XKvj

Here's a better view of the PCV side. The can is mounted to a 90 degree strong tie, which is bolted to the left of the Pwr Steering reservoir to a stock mounting point. I believe the mounting point was from the stock intake system, which was replaced with a CAI.
https://imgur.com/a/xA1WlSV

581 - 600 of 600 Posts