Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

DIY Oil Catch Can Install

247K views 599 replies 161 participants last post by  rthorniley 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY Oil Catch Can Install​

Disclaimer:
As with any DIY you assume full responsibility for what you do to your car and I am in no way liable for any damage that happens. In other wards do this DYI at your own risk.

Car: 2010 Genesis coupe R-Spec Edition
For all of my DIY the car model and trim will be a 2010 Genesis coupe R-Spec Edition most trims will be the same for most aspects but there is the possibility that things can be different on your trim vehicle that may require altering the DIY steps ect.

Materials:
Catch Can
Breather Filter
2-4 Feet of heater Hose [3/8" ID (Inner Diameter)]
Vacuum Cap
Self Tapping Screws

Tools:
Socket Wrench
-7MM
-10MM
Allen Keys (metric)
- Number 5
Pliers
Cutting Utensil
Drill
Philips Head Screw Driver

Notes:
In this DIY I installed a universal ebay catch can that can be found for about $20 shipped.
Oil Catch Can = CC

Install:

Part 1: Setting up your catch can

1) Lay out all the parts for your CC and look for the set of gaskets that they give you. What you first must do is remove the two nipples off the top and apply those gaskets to the bottom of the nipple so that they seal properly against the metal.

2) Now re-install them and make sure the two top nipples are on securely and the drain plug on the bottom is in securely. Find the two brackets they give you for installation and attach the ring clamp over the bracket that goes to the CC and tighten, then use the supplied screws to secure the other L bracket to the mount. It should look like the below picture and this is just temporary until you find how you wish to mount it.

3) Attach the two heater hoses to the nipples of the CC and use the supplied clamps to tighten the hose on.

4) On one of the hoses you must install a reducer which is supplied in the box so what you do is cut a piece of the supplied hose, blue in my case, and attach it to one side of the reducer then on the other side attach it into the heater hose. Use the supplied clamps to tighten up the hoses to the reducer. Now you’re ready for the next step!

Part 2: Mounting your Catch Can

1) This will obviously vary for everyone else but i found the easiest spot to mount the CC was by the driver’s side headlight since there is plenty of room there to install the CC.

2) First see around where you want to mount your catch can try to make it at the highest degree possible so the catch can is as vertical as can be.

3) Now once your satisfied use your drill and the self tapping screws and install the first bracket to the frame of the engine bay.

4) Next secure the other part of the bracket with the supplied screws so that the lip that gets clamped on to the CC is readily exposed so you can easily attach and remove the CC.

5) Now finally rest the catch can on the bracket and tighten the clamp so that the catch can is secured onto the bracket. Now for the final step

Part 3: Running the Lines

1) First, you must remove the line that goes from your valve case to the PCV valve on the intake manifold on the driver’s side of the car.

2) Now that you have removed this line the first line from the catch can without the reducer will be plugged into the PCV valve and tighten with a clamp.

3) The other line will now be hooked up to the valve case this is the one with the reducer and secure it using the factory clamp since i ran out of adjustable clamps.

Now that you have finished steps 3 and 4 the lines should look like this

4) Now the next line you must remove is the line that runs from the valve case to the intake on the passengers side.

5) Now that that line is removed you must attach the breather to the valve case and tighten that down.

6) Next use the vacuum caps and slip it over the tube on the intake.

Finalizing Installation:

Now as always tidy up your installation and make sure everything is secure and tight and start her up and make sure she’s running normally. This is how everything will look with the CC installed.

Well, thats it everyone hopefully this helps you and if you have any questions as always just let me know!

See less See more
#3 ·
I stuck-ted your thread. :)

#17 · (Edited)
Just got back from the auto store, heads up for anyone in the US. Your not going to find 11mm ID heater hose. I asked and the guy looked at me like I was nuts. Your going to use half inch ID, which is only about 1.7mm larger so you'll be ok.

#7 ·
Nice, looks almost exactly like the way I did it, except I used a silver can and filter to go with the black car. :D

I'm watching that filter. If it starts making a mess I may replace it with another catch can.

Great write up!

--Colin

#11 ·
its necessary for any turbocharged car and it will help prolong ur turbo

#13 ·
very nice write up, i've already ordered my CC. I'll be putting it on with my intake and flash.

#18 ·
Just got back from the auto store, heads up for anyone in the US. Your not going to find 11mm ID heater hose. I asked and the guy looked at me like I was nuts. Your going to use half inch ID, which is only about 1.7mm larger so you'll be ok.
LOL I had the same situation at the advanced auto ~ LOL

i asked them for ID 11mm heater hose and he is like ... "we don't sell those...- - ;" we only sell 1/2, 3/8, ..and something..... i was ok.... I'll go check out NAPA. ..- - ;

So i need to get 1/2 heater hose right??? any luck on vaccum cap and self tap screw?

#19 · (Edited)
No you need 3/8" fuel line hose. You measure hose by the inside diameter. The fitting on the actual PCV valve is 8mm and the fitting on the plastic fitting on the intake is ~12 mm. 3/8" hose will work with good clamps but you need a short piece of 1/2" for the intake end to use with one of the included reducers.

I bought one of those cans and put it in today. I am getting another for the other side too instead of the filter.

I mounted mine of the fuse box bracket. Had to notch out some of the plastic.

#24 ·
No you need 3/8" fuel line hose. You measure hose by the inside diameter. The fitting on the actual PCV valve is 8mm and the fitting on the plastic fitting on the intake is ~12 mm. 3/8" hose will work with good clamps but you need a short piece of 1/2" for the intake end to use with one of the included reducers.

I bought one of those cans and put it in today. I am getting another for the other side too instead of the filter.

I mounted mine of the fuse box bracket. Had to notch out some of the plastic.

I like this placement better than where I had it.

--Colin

#21 ·
yea my bad, he showed me both 1/2" and 3/8" I ended up getting the 3/8" (just read the side of the hose) as it looked closer to what I needed. Fuel line or heater hose though does not matter, your comparing apples to apples at that point.

#26 ·
Red, is that area you tapped the screw through plastic? I'm not sure if I like the idea of tapping a screw through a plastic brace holding the fuse box in place.

#28 · (Edited)
??? SERIOUS HELP NEEDED HERE !!! I installed mine on the OPPOSITE side, between the valve cover and the intake tube. The idea is that oil doesn't reach the intercooler. Installing that little breather filter where the valve cover vents to the intake basically destroys the "catch the oil" part of the equation. To the fellows reading this tread, one of us has it wrong, and I want to know if it is me. I don't want to damage anything.

#29 ·
The line with the filter on it that runs from the valve cover to the pre-turbo intake is where the oil that would get into the intercooler from. I ordered a second can to use here as I don't want to deal with the smell of the blowby. You could use a filter or a can.

The blowby that comes out of the PCV valve is what will coke up the intake manifold and valves.

Due to the fact there is a pressurized manifold at times you need to keep the two lines separated and not going into the same can.

So you can use a filter or a can on the passenger side. But only a sealed can can be used on the drivers side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.