Can't find one, if there is one, please delete...Thanks

Things you need

Transmission Oil preferably the redline brand
17mm socket
24mm socket

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Awesome man I was just looking this up for tomorrows Redline fluid swap, simple DIY.

·
 ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1,913 Posts
thanks for this its about time i do a tranny flush

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
this is great i'm goign to do this soon

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Just did this today and the Tranny filler plug is 17mm the rest are all 24mm just thought id let ya know.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The steps posted say to reuse the original crush washers. These steps are taken from a TSB, and it goes on to drain and fill a 2nd time with new crush washers. You could probably get away with it, but I'd be more comfortable with new crush washers. They were about 50 cents each from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What is the exact redline oil we need for 3.8 manuals and do you need some type of pump/hose setup to get the fluid back in?

·
Registered
454 Posts
People on the forums have used a variety of Redline fluids. The closest to OEM spec would be MT-85 or MTL, but whether OEM spec gives the best results is debated on the forums. I did a flush a few weeks ago using the supposedly OEM Pentosin MTF2 fluid. Only the fluid that came out looked and smelled nothing like the Pentosin. My transmission also appeared to be significantly under-filled from the factory. I only got about 1.7L out of it, but exactly 2.2L went back in and filled it to the fill hole level. :dunno: In any case, it's much better now. Not great, but better.

I used an Amsoil pump, and highly recommend it:
AMSOIL - AMSOIL Hand Pump For Bottles

It didn't thread onto the bottles well, but the pump action was great. No leaks, and you get about 4oz/120cc per pump actuation. A lot of the generic pumps are only about 1oz per pump, and can be rather leaky. The pump made the job a lot easier and was worth every penny I spent on it. It's actually less expensive than some lesser quality pumps out there.

You'll need access to a lift or 4 jack stands. The car needs to be level to gauge the proper fill amount.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
^^ Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
how often does the transmission fluid need to be changed on a stock 3.8 gen coupe?

Dealer is trying to get my girlfriend to do a coolant, transmission, and fuel filter change at 30k miles. She babies the car. no mods... is this stuff really already needed at 30k??

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Dealer told me I never have to change mine is this true?? I have a 2010 gen coupe with the 2.0T auto

·
:B
856 Posts
^ nope, it's not true

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
i run 75w90 royal purple works perfrect, even in cold temps

·
Registered
270 Posts
Im surprised that the service manual would say to re-use the original crush washer. Anyone know what size the crush washers are? Might as well just replace those just to be safe.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im surprised that the service manual would say to re-use the original crush washer. Anyone know what size the crush washers are? Might as well just replace those just to be safe.
That's an excerpt from a transmission fluid change TSB. They say to drain and fill it twice. Do one drain and fill, drive it for a short distance, and do a second drain and fill. The bulletin says to use a new crush washer for the second fill.

The crush washers are around $1.00 each from the dealer:

Fill plug washer PN: QDS17-51116-000
Drain plug washer PN: 21513-11000

Then Why did they tell me this?
For an auto, it may be correct... Depends on what transmission you have.

The official maintenance schedule can be found in the manual. For 2010-12 years it states for normal use, manual transmission fluid should be inspected every 30k mi or 48k km. Automatic transmission fluid should be inspected every 37.5k mi or 60k km. None of the transmissions in this car have a dipstick to check the fluid level.

For severe use, the schedule says to replace manual transmission fluid every 60k miles or 96k km. The severe schedule does not say anything about changing ATF more often.

I know the ATF in the ZF 6-speed auto is not easily changed, is frighteningly expensive, and is considered a "lifetime fill". I don't think the ZF has a drain plug, so you have to drop the oil pan to drain it.

My knowledge of the 5 speed auto is lacking, unfortunately. The service manual says it uses APOLLOIL
ATF RED-1K (whatever that is...) and there is a drain and fill procedure that's not too complicated as far as automatic transmissions go.

Filling an AT is more complicated than filling a MT. An AT drain and fill only changes a portion of the ATF, whereas you can change all the fluid on a MT. To change all the fluid in an AT, you need a transmission flush, but that's a whole different thing (and somewhat controversial, or not, depending on who you talk to).

Of course, we're a forum of enthusiasts so many of us, myself included, go above and beyond what Hyundai calls for when it comes to fluid changes.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts