Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
I reused my crush washers when I changed over to the lightweight shockproof. Didn't do a flush either.

Next time I fill it I will just use a hose and a funnel so I can fill from the top.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just did the drain and fill with redline 75w85 (MT-85) 22k on the car. Instantly smoother shifts soon as I pulled onto the road. Took it for a spirited drive and yesssss people do this. No more crunchy shifts. Never had grinding so.... This took a total of 20 mins to do. You will dig it!!

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
idk if it's been mentioned but when u do this jack the car on all 4's, you might be able to do this by just doing lifting the front but you want all the oil out, so all 4 wheels up and as level as possible

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is it necessary to do a drain/flush twice? Is the OEM fluid not compatible with the new synthetic Redline MT-85?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Is it necessary to do a drain/flush twice? Is the OEM fluid not compatible with the new synthetic Redline MT-85?
I don't think there's any urgent need to drain and fill twice - it simply would get more of the old, dirty fluid out.

MT-85 should be completely compatible with OEM fluid...they're both 75W-85 GL4 spec oils, and the small amount of OEM fluid left over shouldn't affect the performance of the new fluid.

Then again, Hyundai did recommend flushing twice with the expensive Pentosin fluid in their TSB. I doubt they'd spend the money doing this if it wasn't necessary. Even the Pentosin (75W-80) should be compatible with the OEM fluid. The Pentosin is generally thought to be an ATF-like fluid with additives for synchronized gears, and ATF and transmission fluid are compatible with each other. Perhaps there's some incompatibility with the Pentosin, or perhaps they just didn't want to take any chances as they'd only apply that TSB if you were already having transmission issues.

In any case, I'd have no concerns about mixing the OEM fluid with Redline MT-85. If you're that worried, let the original fluid drain for a long time to get that extra few drops out.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Just got done with mine. 2 bottles went into the tranny and 1.5 bottles went in the diff. I also installed a ralco SS so I wonder what improvement will it be once I'm done with the exhaust...

Lots of people say that the tranny fluid starts to drip out by the time you finish with the second bottle, however, I haven't noticed that on mine... It kinda kept taking it, maybe the car wasn't leveled out all the way but it was on 4 jacks so I wonder if I should put and mix the remaining redline 75w90 in the tranny until it starts to come out... any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
since it took 2 bottles of redline mt85, would it hurt to add a little bit of 75-90 that I used for my diff? it's just I don't have anymore of mt85 as I only bought 2 bottles...

·
1stgengen
4,531 Posts
Gear oil and Tx oil are two different things. I wouldn't suggest mixing the two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
well ish... that's a bummer.... I've seen plenty of people say it was pouring out by the time they were done with the second bottle, that's why I bought 2 of Red Line 50504 MT-85 75W-85 GL-4 Gear Oil and 2 of Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil, even though the diff only takes a quart and a half and how come mine didn't pour out then? :dunno:

HMA says the capacity is 2.1 and 2 is in there right now, so I can either leave it as it is or put some of that 75w90 just to make it full. Whichever is safer? I can't wait another week of shipping....

·
Registered
71 Posts
safer is obviously up to spec and not under-spec, however putting diff oil (wich should be gl5) into a transmission (that needs gl4) is not up to spec either

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
is .1 really gonna make a difference? I do have some of that Advance Auto special gl4 oil that I put in the accent, will that work? I really can't wait a week for them to ship one more bottle of redline fluid just so I can use .1 out of the whole thing. I just relied on the information from the other threads, that's all. If I knew, I'd buy 3 bottles.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
same story with the engine oil... It says, I need to have 5.5 quarts in there, even though it's full at 5 quarts, so I put 5 and never have any issues. The oil pressure is also just fine btw.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
didn't wanna mix the redline with anything so I just left it with 2 qts. So far so good, no noises or anything, shifts smooth too. The moral is, .1 qts does not make any difference...

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
is .1 really gonna make a difference? I do have some of that Advance Auto special gl4 oil that I put in the accent, will that work? I really can't wait a week for them to ship one more bottle of redline fluid just so I can use .1 out of the whole thing. I just relied on the information from the other threads, that's all. If I knew, I'd buy 3 bottles.
it's not gonne make much of a difference i'd say, and you can safely drive it for a while, same as putting engine oil in and having it a bit higher then the 'L' instead of just under or just on the F mark on the dipstick isn't gonna ruin your engine, but with these transmission i'd personaly just order it and fill it up completely, even though you might just not notice anything even in long terms

·
Registered
14 Posts
What kind of transmission fluid should I go with in my 2013 3.8 6MT, MT85 or MT90? And also would lightweight shockproof be a good idea for the 3.73 Torsen LSD?

21 - 40 of 128 Posts